Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ok, I'm a Midwest guy who is new to hunting the west (colorado)and have run into terms that we don't normally use here in the Midwest. We use terms like thicket, slough, hedgerow etc... I'm looking for terms (that pertain to hunting)that you use or hear used and definitions or criteria that you use for defining them. Examples: what is a park, gulch, saddle, hay park, raghorn, etc...I hear some of these terms used, and while I think I know what they are...I'm curious to know if your ideas of what they are, are the same. Throw some terms out there and lets hear your definitions. I recently had a buddy say, "that's not a saddle, cause it doesn't ""dip"" far enough.". confused

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If both agree you're looking at the same terrain, I wouldn't get too worked up over the lingo.

Enjoy the hunt.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
park is kinda like a meadow, but could also be a dry open hillside. A meadow to me should have a creek running through it, but not everyone defines it that way. Saddle is the low point between two hilltops that you'd naturally cross at. Usually has a drainage going up one end. Gulch could be anything from a canyon to a minor draw, but implies some steep [bleep]. Raghorn is a spindly anltered 2 or 3 year old. Usually 4 or 5 points per side.

Last edited by exbiologist; 07/01/12.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Exbio is right on, as per usual!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't hunt elk but 'don't shoot the lead cow'!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Exbio speak familiar language grin

Another one is 'doghair patch'. A thicket of sorts, ether of small but tall, very thick stand of trees or some sort of brush. Something to the effect of trying to walk threw the side of your pick-up kind of stuff.

And the proverbial chit-hole..... that term is universally applied but Commonly found in the vicinity of doghair patches. Usually an area found to have elk, but no elk while you were there and one has worked at from dark to get too and now looking at working your way out in the dark or just staying the night. "Man this place turned into an elk-less chit hole"

Man, I really wish elk season would hurry up......

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the term 'satellite bull' too... describing a smaller bull that'll circle around a herd and kinda' torment a herd bull. You'll see this with bucks too...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Don't call it treeline. Call it timberline.

Don't pronounce the "e" in Coyote.

Of course you only count one side of the antlers. A 4x4 is a 4 point.

It's a creek.

Exio got most of it. These are just some other tidbits.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've never used or heard anybody use the word "park" in the context that exbio used. We call an open area a meadow regardless of water being present. But that is not to say that nobody uses that. Obviously some do.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A guide we once used called a large meadow a "park". When he first started talking about the park, I was thinking picnic tables, jogging trails, etc. Couldn't figure out why they would put a park in the middle of a wilderness area. But, nope it was just a big meadow. Also, what we call gullies in my part of the country, the guide referred to them a draws.

Last edited by Biggs300; 07/02/12.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'll admit to using meadow most all the time, but if someone says park I know what they mean.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I never thought too much about it but I use meadow where the grass is greener and park where it's drier. On second thought, I guess it's pretty much what exbio said.

Quakers is preferred and quakies is ok but don't call them quaking aspen. Cedars means junipers. Hellhole means take your knife, fork, salt & pepper cuz you're going to have to eat it there.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Park - you see/hear this one a lot on SW Colorado

Gulch - drainage, draw, ravine, usually with some erosion adding to the steep.

Margin Bull - has a double meaning.
1) Has been exiled to the margins of the herd by the herd bull.
2) also very often tends to be on the 'margin' of being a legal bull in an antler point restricted area (raghorn).

Saddle - a col that is below or near treeline.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Coulee- draw
Swale- big shallow indent in the ground
Buck Brush- Waist high stuff where bucks could hide

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nobody mentioned 'raghorn' yet....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, they did.

Will mention that when talking about a 3-point or 5-point, we usually only mention the larger antler, even if the other antler's only a spike. An eastern friend once took a look at a photo of a raghorn 4x3 I'd killed, and said, "Nice 7-pointer!"

In my part of the west "doghair" usually refers to a stand of young lodgepole pine, the sort that springs up after a fire.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
When in Montana watch out for the "greasy gumbo" and I'm not referring to lunch time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Crick= Creek or stream
Basin= Bowl-shaped high mountain valley. Sometimes used to refer to a long wide valley-like canyon.
Black timber= Dark mature stand of conifers
Hollow= Deep narrow valley or canyon

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always wondered what a 'hollow' was. Thanks.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, they did.

Will mention that when talking about a 3-point or 5-point, we usually only mention the larger antler, even if the other antler's only a spike. An eastern friend once took a look at a photo of a raghorn 4x3 I'd killed, and said, "Nice 7-pointer!"

In my part of the west "doghair" usually refers to a stand of young lodgepole pine, the sort that springs up after a fire.

OK..I just went back through the thread and did see scant mention to a raghorn. But for the sake of argument, lets say I was right...
And discuss it over something that you'll need a little 'hair of the dog' ( as opposed to dog hair..) to get over..... whistle

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

443 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 39 invisible), 2,144 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,143
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.