Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yup, always with me; never know when you will need them!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
[ Ringman is not defending it, he is simply stating what the MASS majority of eastern hunters do.

Makes me glad I don't hunt back east! In my lifetime I only recall two intances of having another hunter look at me through a scope (when I was aware of it) and the memory burns fresh with anger and fear each time I recall it. Not only does my little circle not do it, I'm not used to having other hunters do it.

Brushing it off as "everybody does it" trivalizes a deadly serious action.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by rifle

Ok,so do I get a YES OR NO from how you hunt?

Sorry, yes. 100% of the time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by firearms44
Nope ! Not in my 45 years of hunting. Not trying to be different but it's just me. Spot & stalk type hunting and never needed them when in thick hemlock swamp or open hardwoods. Maybe if I hunted a large track of open country then I would use them.

Ken

Ken,
You might be shocked at what you've been missing. Get yourself a 6x and give it a whirl.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep...Ive killed a number of whitetail in the thick stuff locating them with good binos first. FWIW one was 20 yds. away, unseen, and another was 15 feet.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yep...Ive killed a number of whitetail in the thick stuff locating them with good binos first. FWIW one was 20 yds. away, unseen, and another was 15 feet.

That is good to hear. You must hide yourself well.
I am thinking you do not need a riflescope. This would
be archery I am thinking.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nope, with a rifle. And not from a stand...the 15 footer I was crawling on my hands and knees( yeah..it was that thick...) Saw something odd on a log 15 feet away...the Swaros showed it to be an eyeball...which he got shot in...

the 20 yarder was also in thick stuff, holding stock still and I saw something that looked out of place, a teardrop shaped black thing...it was the deer's nostril....doink! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Yes, I would be lost without them

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Scanning the tree line at first light is my favorite part.I know he is in there.Where are the does?Exciting.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hmmm. My spidey sense is tingling. So many 'yes' votes. I'm wondering if some posters got confused and thought the question was, "Who owns binoculars?"

Maybe a few people saw somebody using them on TV or spotted a pair in a store one time. They probably thought the question really was, "Do you know what binoculars are/look like?"
---

My buddy Nelford swears by binoculars. When we're at the lounge after a range session or at hunt camp, he'll chastise anyone that doesn't own a pair. Really!

"Binoculars is useful for so many things. You can see stuff that you couldn't normally see if you didn't have any. I gots at least five pairs what I use for different chores. I guess my number one thing to do with them is stack 'em up. When you pile two or three pairs on top of each other, they make a nice, level perch for to sit on when a fellow needs what you call, 'a pandemic view'."

"But Nelford..."

"When it's Oh dark thirty in the morning and I'm in a pitch black forest, overgrown with plants and stuff, I'll lay them binoculars on the ground with a piece of cardboard sittin' across the tubes. They make a dandy mini coffee table for my canteen or my favorite breakfast - a Mars bar."

"But Nelford..."

"When I'm sittin' on top of a piney ridge or starin' down a mountainside, I stand them binoculars on their end, with the big lenses on a rock or restin' on the ground. The large end has what you call 'objectionable lenses', in case you didn't know."

"But Nelford..."

"Your experts will tell you that in order for them to work better, you need big objectionable lenses. It's true. I been using them for forty odd years like that. The bigger they are the less likely that they'll tip over when they're sittin' on the ground."

"But Nelford..."

"And then there's your other end. This is the one with the small rubber circles on 'em. These are called your magnifiers, but I'm not quite sure why. Anyway, they may look small, but they are sure powerful. The trick is your rubber circles. There's actually two of 'em. When I was younger, I learned why they used rubber there. When the binoculars is sittin' on the ground, objectionable lenses down, the gummy side can support heavy objects like a loaded rifle or a back pack. It props everything up and keeps your valuable stuff off the cold, wet ground. You don't want nothin' slippin' off when it's rainin', so them rubber things keep everything in place."

"But Nelford..."

"I'll tell you, I never seen the point for the container they ship them binoculars in. But I don't like to waste nothin', so that's where I keep my lunch, a jackknife and a pair of dry socks.

"But Nelford..."

"You keep interruptin'. What is it?"

"Well I'm sorry, but that's the dumbest thing I ever heard!"

"Don't get all worked up! If you want to use the container for something else like underwear, an apple, or spare ammunition maybe, I guess that's alright too..."

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nope, with a rifle. And not from a stand...the 15 footer I was crawling on my hands and knees( yeah..it was that thick...) Saw something odd on a log 15 feet away...the Swaros showed it to be an eyeball...which he got shot in...

the 20 yarder was also in thick stuff, holding stock still and I saw something that looked out of place, a teardrop shaped black thing...it was the deer's nostril....doink! grin

Dat's how its done!!

I ain't that good most of the time, so you are in-spy-rationous. grin

My lesser parrallels: with binos found a deer hock at 15 feet, a two inch patch of elk hair at 40 feet, a buck's antler tip at 40 feet, a buck's nose at 40 feet, etc. I didn't shoot most of those but at least I knew they were there before they ghosted away. Crawling for mule deer in thickets while glassing for their legs with binos is an art form, maybe should be an Olympic sport.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"But Nelford..."

I declare, ah aims to use this henceforth...

LOL

Thx.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

That's what I'm talkin'about!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Turrets helped ?

grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yes

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
YES

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Even in the thickest woods, I can't think of a situation where binos wouldn't be very useful. In low light sitations, a good optic will reach into the shadows and pull out figures and forms you couldnt see otherwise, even at close distance.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Yes.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Yup

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 1234, 007FJ, 1badf350, 222Sako, 67 invisible), 16,899 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,188
Posts18,543,356
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.