Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Robc Offline OP
OP Offline
R
My rifle is a Winchester model 70 and I have been loading Hornady 150 and 165 BTSP interlocks with 42 and 44 grains of 4064.

And thanks for all the replies, I appreciate them.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I crimp for most everything that doesn't headspace on the case mouth.

there you have it..

Swampy is a Contra-indicator...therefore...don't crimp! grin

The most reasonable explanation I have read on this thread !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ricksmith
Started loading in 1965 and you are 55yrs old? Started loading when you were two years old!!!! Wow, I am impressed. Most kids that age haven't learned to read.Rick.

Your math isn't worth a $hit.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing like a bunch of dumb [bleep] paper shooters that seem to know almost nothing about reloading, cartridges, or headspacing. In the real world we need reliability. Buy a reloading manual and read it from the begining.

"It's common for crimped bulets to produce more consistent powder burn when using smokless propellants."

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nothing like a bunch of dumb [bleep] paper shooters that seem to know almost nothing about reloading, cartridges, or headspacing.

I try to respect everybodys opinion...but crazy

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The responses showed little knowledge of how powder burns or how some cartridges headspace. All this info is in the begining section of an inexpensive reloading manual. Failure to crimp with some powders will result in bullets lodged in the barrel which can ruin a gun or injure/kill somebody.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The responses showed a few members entering into a battle of wits with the unarmed....

Last edited by ingwe; 07/05/12.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Failure to crimp with some powders will result in bullets lodged in the barrel which can ruin a gun or injure/kill somebody.

Always carry a good hardwood dowel,lard and a small hand sledge to the range, it comes in handy for those dangerous half azz boolits that don't leave the bore! whistle

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I crimp everything. I love to crimp!
I'd crimp your crank if I could get the little thing in my press.
Cisco

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do not always Crimp,

But when I do, I use Lee Factory crimp dies (except for my 480R)

I Do crimp:

All Handgun ammo

and

All AR10 & AR15 Ammo

And

All Levergun ammo

Never any Bolt action ammo or BAR ammo

I'm not against doing it... I just don't

That is all

Snake

Last edited by temmi; 07/05/12.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Failure to crimp with some powders will result in bullets lodged in the barrel which can ruin a gun or injure/kill somebody.

Please explain.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by ColdBore

Please explain.

Chirp, chirp...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Could you let us know specifically which load that would cause that phenominum !!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by temmi
I do not always Crimp,

But when I do, I use Lee Factory crimp dies (except for my 480R)

I Do crimp:

All Handgun ammo

and

All AR10 & AR15 Ammo

And

All Levergun ammo

Never any Bolt action ammo or BAR ammo

I'm not against doing it... I just don't

That is all

Snake

I'm with temmi on this one. I crimp handgun, anything in a tube feed, or semi-auto. Anything bolt action does not get a crimp. Lee crimp dies are all I use when I do crimp, best thing since sliced bread IMO.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Fotis
I crimp for levers and handguns.

I have never crimped for my 30-378 378 416 and 460 Bee mags.

That is because you are both wise and experienced beyond your years Fotis. I concur. Also agree with a previous post that bench rest shooter and long range shooters would never consider it but listening and advising are mutually exclusive. The advice is there for those who want it.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by senior

Could you let us know specifically which load that would cause that phenominum !!

A bullet lodged in the barrel is a dangerous situation!!
For our safety we're still waiting for those loads that'll stick a bullet in the bore if not crimped whistle

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
NRA High Power shooters have known for a long time--1960 or so--that crimping has a slight but negative effect on accuracy. This is because the crimping pressure variation is just one more slight variable. The only valid reason for crimping, in my experience, is if the bullets slip in the cases due to recoil in the magazine. Whether the rifle is a semi-auto or not makes no difference that I can tell. Unless your sizing dies are incorrect, crimping is not needed for anything in the 30-06 or .300 magnum class.

I do not crimp .375 H&H 300 grain 2500 fps soft point loads because I need to seat them slightly deeper to get them to feed well. The bullets do not shift in the cases. I do crimp 300 grain solids because they have many little grooves, not just one cannelure.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
The responses showed a few members entering into a battle of wits with the unarmed....

I get a kick out of the "debates" that materialize on most forums lately. People seem to be thinking their opinions are what should be accepted and none other's matter. I've been reloading for about 40 years now. I crimp 30-30 Win and ONLY when it is going into a tubular magazine. For the purposes of this discussion, who gives a flying [bleep] WHAT you do with handgun reloads? More and more people are showing up here that just what to see their,,,,,,,,,,,,,,aw nevermind. It just isn't worth it.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fifth
Many moons ago I discovered improved accuracy using a Lee Factory Crimp die. I've just kinda kept the habit since. I reload mainly for hunting so ensuring the bullet doesn't move is more important to me. If I was into competition bench then I suppose I would fiddle around with no-crimp and miniscule adjustments from the lands. Meh.

That's pretty much what I do as well. Also over on Accurate Reloading, there is a good treatise on crimping vs non-crimping bullets and the results showed a slight improvement in accuracy when a uniform crimp was applied and that is why I use it. For doubles, there is also some good info in Graham Right's book on the subject and he comes to the surprising conclusion (at least to me) there was no need to crimp even the biggest doubles. Also there is a note in there about the 416 Rigby magazine rifle where no amount of crimping prevented at lest some dislodging of the bullet. Lastly, do the opposite of whatever that inbred doofus Swampdick says to do. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Robc
Do you crimp your reloads? Is there any reason to do it or not do it? I am loading for my 308 and have been but not real sure why it is needed. Does it make a difference in accuracy, or brass longevity?

Thanks,

Back in the early 80's I was loading for a Win 70 Featherweight .308 win using 165gr Horn BTSP's and used a slight roll crimp at the cannelure. That particular load of BL-C2 with ww brass, and win primers shot ridiculously well.

Was young and dumb in those days and never tested without the crimp. But because of how well it shot, I just kept crimping them.

Again, I used a slight roll crimp. You should try it and see how it works out for you. I never crimped any bullet that did not have a cannelure though and today I don't crimp at all.

That was one of those rifles I wish I never sold.....

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,478 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,680
Posts18,493,876
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.