Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fshaw
RDFinn, Are those Miller knives?

Yes. It's called the Lite Hunter.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why not consider a Loveless style knife. I like the W.C. Davis knives.

http://www.wcdavisknives.com/

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Davis is a great value in Loveless designs.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Davis knives, in my opinion are bargains at the prices shown.

A knife with a tapered tang and with a guard is much more difficult and time consuming to make than the knives without guards.

As for purchasing a good knife, the first thing I would ask is the steel it is made from. The next is the heat treatment, and who does it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is my own Davis knife.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Davis is one of the few quality makers from the school of Loveless design that is affordable.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
To the OP,

Here are roughly comparable examples from each, a Bullnose from Ingram, and a Model 60 from Winston, both in Ivory micarta and D2.

The Ingram is very thin, the Winston is fuller in the hand, but that is a difference that either could alter based on the design chosen.

Measured at the choil, the Ingram is 0.125" and the Winston is 0.155".

The steel seems to work equally well between the two on cull deer and feral pigs from use last season, and there is not a difference between them in edge retention comparing identical steels.

Either should serve you well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Lets not forget about Scott Cook, another very fine maker. He doesn't make a catalog full of designs. Something most makers do to much of. Most likely because his design works and works well.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Jeff, nice comparison pics. Thanks!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You're welcome.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Jeffbird thanks for the pics. It helps me see the differences between knives.

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Lets not forget about Scott Cook, another very fine maker. He doesn't make a catalog full of designs. Something most makers do to much of. Most likely because his design works and works well.

Ten years ago when I was broke and in college I drooled over his Small Owyhee hunter more than once.

[Linked Image]

Last I'd seen he wasn't taking orders any longer, but just checked his website and he has been for a few years now. Been several years since I even checked-

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yes sir that is a very good knife. You can find them for sale around if you look long and hard enough. Well worth the coin in my eyes.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Your welcome Dink.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Ten years ago when I was broke and in college I drooled over his Small Owyhee hunter more than once.

[Linked Image]

Last I'd seen he wasn't taking orders any longer, but just checked his website and he has been for a few years now. Been several years since I even checked-

I've owned two of the Scott Cook knives a large and a small Owyhee Hunter. They were perfect in execution and the G. Fellers Casemaker sheaths provided with the knives were of the same superb top quality. Unfortunately for me they have a swell in the center of the handle that just didn�t suit my hand size and I couldn�t get really comfortable with. At some point I discussed that with Scott Cook and he offered to make me another without the handle swell. I sold the two I had and proceeded to fiddle around with other stuff and by the time I finally got around to ordering another knife he was no longer accepting orders.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide

I send 'em to Gene at the end of the season for sharpening and a clean up every year...

What does Gene get for knife detailing ?

Lol....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was thinking no one got that one.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by add
I don't know what Ingram (or any custom maker for that matter) charges for a resharpening / buff & fluff on his knives but... if it is anything more than postage, I'd be looking elsewhere for my next custom...

If it was any more I'd go elsewhere as well ...

I guess I'd never make it as a knife maker because I wouldn't do it for free. I've never thought about sending a knife back to the maker to be sharpened but am very suprised they'll do it for free. Seems kinda like sending a rifle back to the smith to be re bead blasted? None of my business but that's kinda part of the beuty of good blades. They hold a edge well and sharpen back up good. Course I don't normally make a habbit of letting them get dull. It's easier for me to sharpen if I keep them pretty sharp.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by add
I don't know what Ingram (or any custom maker for that matter) charges for a resharpening / buff & fluff on his knives but... if it is anything more than postage, I'd be looking elsewhere for my next custom...

If it was any more I'd go elsewhere as well ...

I guess I'd never make it as a knife maker because I wouldn't do it for free. I've never thought about sending a knife back to the maker to be sharpened but am very suprised they'll do it for free. Seems kinda like sending a rifle back to the smith to be re bead blasted? None of my business but that's kinda part of the beuty of good blades. They hold a edge well and sharpen back up good. Course I don't normally make a habbit of letting them get dull. It's easier for me to sharpen if I keep them pretty sharp.

If you use it,that's the way to do it!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 30+ Ingrams and 7 Winstons going back to 2002. (I even have a Winston key knife I've carried on my key chain as long as I can remember - David, a campfire run of these would blow minds here!) BOTH ROCK

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 222Sako, 60 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.