Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by plainsman456
He removed the locking lug from the Winchester that he performed this test on.

Yes that was it. Thanks plainsman456.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JBLEDSOE

I keep hearing all these myths about bolt thrust on other forums until I am about to believe some of it. crazy
If chamber pressure is 60,000 PSI then that is 60K in all directions, so how can we increase/decrease the pressure on the bolt by changing the shape of the chamber? For example a straight walled case is said to apply less pressure to the bolt than a tapered wall case.

Is there something here that I am missing?

My understanding is that some cartridges grip the chamber walls better than others allowing pressures to drop more before they shrink back down as pressure drops. Case head size matters too. The larger the case head, the greater the bolt thrust.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Case head size matters too. The larger the case head, the greater the bolt thrust.

What about a rebated rim where the rim is smaller then the web area of the case acting on it?

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ol` Joe
What about a rebated rim where the rim is smaller then the web area of the case acting on it?

It's the I.D. of the case head that pressure acts upon. The o.d. is not a part of the bolt thrust equation.

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hawkins,

I tried the same thing with pressure sensitive tape. Did you have any problems with complete wash-out of tape indicating an exceedance of its indicating range? Just curious as I was hoping someone else had given it a try.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I had several problems with the tape but never a "wipeout".
What it did was seem to confirm that a dry and an oiled case
had similar effects above a certain pressure. My figure of
40 KPSI was back calculated from the velocity using the NRA
formula. How accurate ??. Anyway If Ackley had loaded his
30/30 improved a litle hotter he would have discovered why
Browning put the locking in the 94 Winchester.

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pressure in a 'vessel' acts equally in all directions, So, if the cartridge is at 60,000 psi, the forces is acting on the bullet the cartridge head and walls ....equally. The only 'thrust' you may get is the pressure forcing the cartridge brass into any voids ( like the clearance between the case head and bolt face).
So, if you have a crush fit of your brass and an action/chamber able to contain the pressure there will be nothing happening other than this force acting on the only movable part which is the bullet. F=PxA

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The steel the action is made from will deform under pressure so there is also movement in the action. This movement can be significant in a rear locking action.

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
From reading the linked page of Varmint Al's, he seems to indicate that having the case head contact the bolt face early and fully is a good thing. Thus, a low CoF chamber is a good thing. Did I mis-read or mis-understand?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's the I.D. of the case head that pressure acts upon. The o.d. is not a part of the bolt thrust equation.

Yes and no. Under normal conditions, the ID is the more important. When the case head separates, the OD counts. A gun needs to be designed for the worst case.

P*A based on the ID is pessimistic, of course. The pressure blows out the case walls. These cling to the chamber. As the base stretches away, the brass on the walls holds it forward, offsetting the pressure some.

The link posted to Varmint Al's site wasn't the most relevant to this discussion. This page covers case cling.

Also, it wasn't just the "old timers" who oiled cases. UK proof loads using the base crusher system used oiled cases.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There is a bunch of BS on VarmintAl's site, such as:

"The fluted barrel with a 1.222" muzzle diameter has approximately the same weight as the original non fluted barrel but behaves entirely differently in dynamics from the chamber pressure and recoil."

I don't care how much education he has, or how many formulae he throws around. If he found chamber pressure and recoil to be different in a fluted barrel, there was another reason than the flutes.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the example cited was just sloppy English on his part--not unusual among engineers. I think he's trying to say "the dynamics which result from chamber pressure and recoil."

As for his education and formulae, his experience in applying them is what counts. The stress analysis software he uses is not for amateurs.

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Marc
The steel the action is made from will deform under pressure so there is also movement in the action. This movement can be significant in a rear locking action.

Key words ....able to contain the pressure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 2525
Yes and no. Under normal conditions, the ID is the more important. When the case head separates, the OD counts. A gun needs to be designed for the worst case.

For purposes of calculating bolt thrust, the i.d. of the case head is the only 'case head' consideration in the equation. When spining off to different 'what if's', certainly other things enter in.

But that's not how to calculate bolt thrust.....

Good shootin'. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

Good shootin'. -Al

I disagree.

Bolt thrust is directly related to case head diameter as it acts upon the bolt face. If a 223 Rem creates 60K, the bolt thrust is less than a 300 WSM at the same pressure. When case head diameter, thus surface area, increases the bolt thrust increases exponentially.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

You're probably right about wording being the problem, not the engineer or program. Thanks for the insight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But wouldn't the internal case diameter defining the normal pressure plane also be smaller in the 223 as compared to the 300 Wizzum thus the lower load on the bolt face albeit same case pressure?

In my simple and empirical way of thinking, the case head statics could be crudely thought of as a pressure intensifier...or de-intensifier.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For purposes of calculating bolt thrust, the i.d. of the case head is the only 'case head' consideration in the equation.

Yes and no. The main gas component is from the ID, but the case cling is a (not easily calculated) function of both the ID and the OD.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 32_20fan
But wouldn't the internal case diameter defining the normal pressure plane also be smaller in the 223 as compared to the 300 Wizzum thus the lower load on the bolt face albeit same case pressure?

In my simple and empirical way of thinking, the case head statics could be crudely thought of as a pressure intensifier...or de-intensifier.

When the primer lights the fire the very first reaction is the case head slamming backward into the bolt face. The pressure curve, in my opinion, would have the lesser effect of the two.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

Good shootin'. -Al

I disagree.

Bolt thrust is directly related to case head diameter as it acts upon the bolt face. If a 223 Rem creates 60K, the bolt thrust is less than a 300 WSM at the same pressure. When case head diameter, thus surface area, increases the bolt thrust increases exponentially.

This was my thought.
The ID has an area of X where it transfers pressure to an area of X-y. The result should be a greater area of pressure pushing on a smaller area of bolt face then if the rim was of the same ratio to the ID of a std rimless case of equal ID size. Sort of the same as a knife blade concentrating mild thumb pressure to a very small target area and severing it?
A large(r) inside area under pressure, on a smaller area of outside contact.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 1100mag, 35, 10gaugemag, 17 invisible), 1,378 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,264
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.