Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#6664443 07/08/12
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, new to me, anyway.

Best we can figure is an African settlers rig, massive octagon to round smoothbore, and a NICE R. Ashmore percussion lock, the thing's been around, and is quite beat up, the wrist was in flinders, as acquired.

Patched it up enough to proof it with a ridiculous heavy charge,.....and seeing as how it digested that happily, now have it on the bench, and am doing a steel reinforced stock repair. not looking for anything in particular, just a working gun, as it were.

These things ARE fun wink

anybody know where I can get an .835 RB Mold ?

[Linked Image]

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Wow! I'd need to be 20 years younger to try that monster.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Very interesting find. It would be a real blast on a hog hunt. Try Dixie Gun Works for the mold.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
There's been a PILE of interesting originals landing here, and more on the way, I reckon.

If Digital Dan don't mind, I'll post some pics of a 25 lb George O. Leonard target rifle I chased to ground for him.......it's just a flat GORGEOUS piece, too.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
'nother view of this mossy old World traveler 8 bore.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Oh Hell Yeah Cross, that'll work man. wink

I have a mold and a set of handles I'd loan ya, but mine are only .825

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Might check with Colin Stolzer up in Kansas, or Steve Zihn out in Wyoming.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Hey,....THANKS for the offer !

This old pelter's got a whopping .883 Bore , and I'm gonna' sneak up on what it'll toss well, before buying ANYTHING......certainly lotsa' room for a patch, eh ?

That accomplished, I may just make a cherry, and enlarge an existing off the shelf Slug Mold.

GTC

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Your Welcome, and that beast may swallow a triple pillow ticked patched ball of .835 dia. as is shocked WOW grin

Gunner

And you talk about a 4 ounce charge of copper plated 00 Buckshot, PURE HELLFIRE AND BRIMSTONE, up close and personal like.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Use a thick leather patch. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Roughed out the Side plate (1/4" thick) yesterday evening (Torch and Belt sander). Did some final shaping Started here mid morning, lock screw holes kinda' pointing towards skew.

[Linked Image]

in another view, one can see where the poor old thing had snapped itself completely in half,.....across the lower wrist.
Acra-Glas rocks !

[Linked Image]

I'm on a quick beer break,......coupla' hours of "digging" in that VERY hard Maple sees the wrist reinforce ready to sculpt a bit. This repair is VERY common on old hard kickers, If a guy's BUILDING one, he should just put the damn thing in than.

[Linked Image]

I'll be dropping a massive steel trigger plate / trigger guard into the bottom, and running a piece of Hydraulic tubing through the forend for the wiping stick channel, to marry up the forend to the hind end....I don't think the wrist will give up again in this geological epoch.

GTC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wowzers brother Greg!
I cant wait to see that monster knock over some pig iron grin

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Steel Plate's sculpted,....fixin' to mill in the trigger plate recess,.....than start carving / forging / welding the trigger plate / guard .

Sunday 'hobbying', as it were, Tomas'.

It's hard to get a sense of the SIZE of this big [bleep], from the pics.

You're welcome to shoot it , any time.

GTC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You KNOW I will too.
grin

Hell I am unashamed... I officially call dibs in the will before that pig f-er KRP does. grin

Looking forward to more pics as she goes.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
200-250 gr powder charge?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
My 8-Bore runs between 300 and 400 grains, it is of more recent manufacture and completely safe in my rifle, but ease into it, and really not necessary to even go there. cry

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Somewhere there's the ghost of a craftsman, smiling that his creation is still usable, many years later. smile

I've shot a few original blackpowder cartridge rifles, but never have tried an original muzzleloader. How does one go about judging them safe to shoot?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Somewhere there's the ghost of a craftsman, smiling that his creation is still usable, many years later. smile

I've shot a few original blackpowder cartridge rifles, but never have tried an original muzzleloader. How does one go about judging them safe to shoot?

Inspection, inspection, and inspection,......."proofing", well yeah, and in the case Of this one I loaded it to the NUTS, and lanyard fired it off a scatter blanketed cradle. All proofing REALLY does, is tell you it did not blow up THIS time.

This old thing's got good iron, and is worth getting back up and running,.....nothing fancy, ....just RUNNING Safely, to start out with. If the notion takes me, I MIGHT spool up a new stock,.......at some point.

I'd say that 100-150 grains is all I'm ever going to want or need, I'd as soon watch the ball flying as opposed to getting my wits rattled.

Oh,....the proof load for this one ? I used 800 grains of "mixed cannon" ( That's Fg, FFg, and FFFg left over powder),......and filled the bore the rest of the way with compressed cat litter.....it was an IMPRESSIVE shot wink eek

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
So, I got the Trigger Plate recess milled in and squared up, the damn stock has some cast on (Maybe the result of being broken in half and re-assembled years later ?). Gonna have to make a separate "Tail" for the trigger plate, and tack it to the one shown once it's inletted in a crooked, off center mode.

[Linked Image]

If I can get the tang screw out of this beast, I'm going to catch the back end of this new trigger plate with a stout machine screw. The front of it will be grabbing a nut welded to the new ramrod tube, stock reinforce,.......a piece of 1/2" Hydraulic Tubing that will be glued in.

[Linked Image]

No drawings made, and damn few measurements taken. These old school MLs are really 'Intuitive' to work with, if it looks right, it probably IS.

I really DISLIKE the "Musket look' of this thing, and am considering shortening the forend, and turning the round portion back to a more balanced proportion. The thing PROBABLY had a longer barrel at one point,......and the extrapolation about Africa is just that,....it MAY have been a "Market Gun", built here on these shores. HTF it wound up in Az. is anybody's guess.

Wonder if I just shortened it further, and kept only the octagon portion....?

Unusual Carbine / Musketoon, that would be.

[Linked Image]

Good fun, Old ML guns,....just play safe, and understand the limits to old metalurgy.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 07/08/12.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Greg, go on ahead with Big George when it suits.

Back in the day they used canister loads for perimeter defense in the 105's and 155 mm Howitzers. Guessin' about 3 ounces of #1 buck would serve you well. 4 if you're really feeling cranky.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

451 members (222Sako, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 46 invisible), 1,856 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,003
Posts18,481,357
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.