Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Man I wish I had the time to swing out AZ way, I mean if I were issued an invite of course, blush and bring along my old 8 bore, and check out your new rifle to Cross.

Be fun comparing notes, load data, and checking out these old BOOOMERS. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Barrel on that beast looks like the axle from a '55 Studebaker.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy powder by the bushel for that Grand Old Monster cool cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've decided to go with a ' retro tacticool' theme, and seeing as how Allen Head Machine screws are all "Passe" ( or izzat Puzzy?), will trick out this rig accordingly.

Next,....a Picanninny Rail !

What power of scope should I be looking for ?

......Original handmade screws go into honorable retirement....

[Linked Image]

Screwing things up

[Linked Image]

Tacticool look

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This thing may not be "pretty",....but it's damned sure starting to look SOLID, isn't it ?

[Linked Image]

.....first make it RUN,....than worry about "Pretty" I says.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 07/09/12.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lookin' good fer field artillery. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
You sure them screw heads won't rearrange your fingers when she snorts and bellers?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bet that would punch your shoulder. nice gun.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now THAT looks like a fun project. Wonder how it found its way to Arizona? Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Field_Hand

No need to bet FH, I can promise ya a full load wit a "BIG 8" will knock the cornbread piss outta full growd man. laugh

And nice goin' Cross, these "BIG BOOMERS" are lotsa fun. grin

Gunner

And just a simple suggestion, after the wrist repair, you may want to consider wrapping the wrist with some tight leather strapping, looks really nice, hides any repair work, and provides X-TRA grippage. LOL

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crowrifle
You sure them screw heads won't rearrange your fingers when she snorts and bellers?

They WILL be trimmed,....and slotted, prior to shooting, Se�or.

I seem to remember doing something like this before.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This is funny, today's "New Parts" stunt.

......and predicated in a dedicated avocation for the REAL essence of "Git 'er Done"

KILLER budgetary impact soaked up eek ( $.50 at the flea market), and a rare and special 'Trigger Guard in the Raw' wink begins it's transformation

[Linked Image]

You're chitting these folks, Crossfire ! mad

.......No, I most certainly am NOT. cool

[Linked Image]

Just find the damn form and RUN IT !

[Linked Image]

Damn, you would have to be seeing alla' this to believe it ?

.......go ahead and believe it.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500

No need to bet FH, I can promise ya a full load wit a "BIG 8" will knock the cornbread piss outta full growd man. laugh

Gunner

And just a simple suggestion, after the wrist repair, you may want to consider wrapping the wrist with some tight leather strapping, looks really nice, hides any repair work, and provides X-TRA grippage. LOL

Sinew already arranged,.....and booked, as it were.

.....looks like we come from the same tribe ( or general root stock) of [bleep].

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cool stuff cross, now to make your shoulder whimper, during "The Age of the Gauge Rifle" a smoothbore 8 was an average gun, not really big enough for a dedicated buffalo or elephant rig.....worked ok on the big cats though crazy 6's, 4's and 2's were serious tusker gear with the 4 considered about ideal....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Gunner

.....looks like we come from the same tribe ( or general root stock) of [bleep].

GTC

Ya wouldnt happen to have any Rogue Black Irish/Osage Indian blood coursin' through ya veins would ya Cross? laugh

Gunner

Oh and love the Sheer's trigger guard. wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Gunner

GTC

Ya wouldnt happen to have any Rogue Black Irish/Osage Indian blood coursin' through ya veins would ya Cross? laugh

Gunner

Oh and love the Sheer's trigger guard. wink
I might. i always said give my papaw some bailing wire and duct tape and he could build a nuclear reactor.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I may have noted earlier that this beast at one time had a longer barrel, .......who KNOWS what inspired ( or required ) it's getting the hacksaw treatment. Anyway, the goofy 'Short musket' look is not my cuppa' so this AM's been about "Sporty", as applied to behemoths.

Taper attachments are SO handy

[Linked Image]

I did manage (sheer bloody LUCK) to catch a pretty decent center calc, and punch it into the breech plug / hook. Being right on the edge of a radius meant a bit of fancy dancing with a Foredom Tool first, though. Nice old Forged Wrought Iron barrel, the Mechanic who beat it out didn't get too awful fancy about the bottom (concealed) flats

[Linked Image]

Progress, so far

[Linked Image]

That 'Trigger Guard' is a BIT largish, maybe this is a Polar Bear medicine stick,.......than and again, given the recoil potential of this old beaut, lotsa' room my be just the ticket.
Gonna use a chunk of steel Hydraulic line up through the forend, ....and glass it in well under the breech,.......will than sweat (TIG) on a Tapped lug to catch a machine screw through the front of the new trigger plate. Will probably mill up a beefy steel forend cap to support the front end of the tube. Muzzle "Chin" will get a beefy steel ramrod thimble, as well. Dunno if I'll rib the underside of the now round barrel portion,......that can certainly be done down line.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Once the threaded bearing lug that will catch the new trigger plate is welded on, This tubing will be "cast" into forend, it's rear projecting WELL into the area behind and below the lock, almost to the sear bar recess. Up forward a section will be peened flat on top, and later milled whisker thin to accomodate a dovetailed Wedge lug. A pewter nose cap will be cast around it's front end. The real Achilles heal on this sorta traditional design is that the wood in front of the lock / hooked breech bolster is rather flimsy. This tubing, through it's conection with the trigger plate, will tie the forend all the way back into the wrist, which is now solidly through bolted to the breech bolster's tang.

I reckon this will be a GOOD repair.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by crossfireoops; 07/12/12.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
WOOHOO!! I can't wait to heft that baby! grin

I finally figured out how to transfer a picture that was texted to me into my picture account.

Here are a couple of Gunner500's "speedloaders" for his Big Bore Baby;

[Linked Image]

Not sure I want to have to "speed load" and shoot... eek

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh Hey Main ya gotter done didnt ya LOL, that 200 gn Partition in that '06 hull looks kinda smallish dont it?

And ya have to keep yer belt a little snug with four of those speedloaders in yer pocket, they kinda heavy blush

And on the quick fire and repeat, no problemo, put that first ball in the right spot and it's over LOL

Gunner

Trump Won!
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (B52RadarNav, 44mc, 10Glocks, 35, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7887mm08, 16 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,150
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.