Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Both of you are NUTS,.....

I'm going to be quite comfortable with 240 grain charges, and a patched RB.

Nonetheless building the old pelter to handle heavier, if needs be.

OK,.....I'm kinda' interested in those "Speedloaders".

Ya'll do a bunch of speed before chargin' em' up,....or WTF ?

Sheet Metal Shears Trigger Guard is stalled, T$ts up. Hadfield (Managanese Steel) is not "annealing" VERY WELL,.....and IMPOSSIBLE to machine by sane personnel.

If I were going to plow gravel, or crush rocks with a trigger guard, ....I would continue forging,......

Will post a pic of the finished attempt,.....a purportedly "Huge" bronze TG is lurking in the wings,....so the "All Iron" intent may well go into the toilet. Hell , it will save replacing that buttplate.

GTC

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Coming along right nice like Cross wink I have ran my rifle up to 400 grs 2F Swiss, even though safe, it's really stupid and completely unnecessary cry my standard load is 300 grs. 2F Swiss and a pure lead pillow ticked patched RB.

Have only used it on one game animal, a little 10 point basket racked WT deer, 20 yds through both shoulders and DRT, not a twitch. smile

That is more than enough for all NA game IMHO.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
300grs. ????? gives new meaning to the phrase hand cannon.dang.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Field_Hand
300grs. ????? gives new meaning to the phrase hand cannon.dang.

Oh hell no FH, these are shoulder fired cannons, if some one were to seriously build an 8-bore pistol and fire it with 300 gn 2FG, they would be picking the pistol up out of the dining room floor.

Thats after I flew through the idiots skull that fired it AND the wall of the house laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
very cool. i'm a rather large boned man so i would like to take the challenge of firing that monster bore. laugh

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Go back to page 4 and look below Crosses work and see two of my homemade speedloaders with an '06 round between 'em.

To give ya an idea on the recoil to expect, a 375 H&H provides 39.5 FT LBS free recoil in a 9.5 lb rifle firing factory loaded 300 gn bullets @2550 fps.

My 8-Bore firing an 850 gn round ball in a ten pound rifle @1400 fps will boot ya with 189 FT LBS free recoil, nearly five times harder than the H&H, something ya really gotta EASE into Bro laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
nice.!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh YBYA it's nice...........nice to have B.C. powders and a cold long neck B-Wiser afterwards laugh

And I didnt even run the numbers on the 400 gr charge load, that was just plain [bleep] stupid of me to pull the trigger on that HELLFIRE BISH eek

I contacted the maker and wanted the "Proof" load, it proofed alright. crazy

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
laugh i'm dying laughing right now.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh I thought I was gonna die laughing to when I touched off that 400 gr charge. cry [bleep], that sombish rocked me.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
An Old friend rescued me from any further forging and beating on that almost IMPOSSIBLY tough 'Shear Handle TG'. In a box of assorted rubble, I found a nice old original bronze Trigger Guard. I've no idea as to what it was originally fitted to, but the styling suggests a big Flintlock musket.

[Linked Image]

Shown here sweated onto the new trigger plate. One can see the .500 X .600 " block that's drilled off vertical center to the ramrod tubes .375" I.D.,......than counterbored and sweated to a slightly reduced dia. end on the tube. This provided just over .100" of material to drill and tap to 10-32 machine screw threads. Given that the "block" discussed intersects with and "Keys" against the hooked breech lower section, and with the block and tube now glassed in,....the entire rifle is now tied together fore and aft with STEEL, as opposed to the original wood. I shamlessly copied this basic concept from the Sharps '74 setup, a STOUT way to assemble a rifle.

In the course of this rebuild not a single wood screw has been applied, so far.

[Linked Image]

Looks like there'll maybe be a short fat wood screw catching the tail of that guard.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by crossfireoops; 07/13/12.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That gun would be great for loading with about 30gr of powder and shooting full PBR cans serving the patrons at the local hillbilly bar.... Be like a Lamberts Cafe but bar style...... grin

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice work on that Greg.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Lookin' real GOOD Cross, congrats on the new TG. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
If (when?) I spool up a fresh stock,.....it'll be changed out for something a little less martial, and a lot more "Sporty",....think Alex Henry,Rigby,Gibbs and such. It'll do for the time being, though.

Got a tech tip,......no flame on Brownells, ....BUT.

If you're a fan of Brownells "Force 44" low temp Silver Solder,....you're paying over TWICE as much for what Harris Welco sells under the name 'Staybright'. Would not be surprised but that the Brownells product IS HW in source. Nice for general gun work in the classic mode,....ribs, small non critical joints, etc.

Damned if I can call out the high temp / high strength solution,....there are so many out there.

GTC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looking good.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Poking around on the Mill this AM, With the Hyraulic Tube 'Spine' relieved transversely to it's ID, there's a TON of room for a good big dovetailed barrel underlug / Wedge Gudgeon

[Linked Image]

The wedge will be carved out of an old (Bent) ejector pin I salvaged years ago whilst millwrighting a 600 tom IM press in Tucson. The "Flea Market Special" brass punches will become the "Wedge plates / Estucheons".

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That's really coming together nicely!
Dang, I need another project!!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hey Cross, do you have enough steel left, or have ya considered milling a wedding band on the barrel where the octagon and round meet?

Lots of old British Bore Rifles had them, and so does mine, just thought I'd pass that along to ya, kind of a cool little addition.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
By golly, ve got dose 'Mine Readers' here now, Sven !

Ya,.....JUST enough,......it will lay just inside of a poured pewter nose cap,.......

this old pelter is starting to look like Johny Cash's "one piece at a time" car,.......all sortsa' mixed up crap from different eras mixed and matched into a strong, serviceable gun.

Sometimes it's just fun to dig through old junk and BUILD something, eh ?

Ole says, "Vait 'til I mount the picaninny rail and ACOG sight dere, Sven"

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (2UP, 280shooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 35, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 12 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,996
Posts18,481,160
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.