OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
My Amigo just sent these over,.....

125 gr 1FG Elephant behind 840 gr patched slug

[Linked Image]

Versus 250 Gr same, behind same

[Linked Image]

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
YEEHAW, you damn right Cross, thats what its all about wink

I shoot 300 gr in mine, but I'm bettin there aint nothing walkin' that can receive a hit from that 840/250 gr load and walk.

Gunner

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
You guys are certifiable nuts. smile

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by CrowRifle

Now Crowrifle, yer spose to be tellin' us something we dont know. laugh shocked

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
YEEHAW, you damn right Cross, thats what its all about wink

I shoot 300 gr in mine, but I'm bettin there aint nothing walkin' that can receive a hit from that 840/250 gr load and walk.

Gunner

I'm thinking that the thing will shoot "Softer" with a properly sized patched RB. I reckon the provisional projos we're tossing right now (Patched 12 Ga. 2 Oz.)are kind wadding up and generating lotsa' "drag". The interior of that old iron barrel is kinda' rough and WILL get honed. Given that the bore's already at .873", I kinda expect that once honed clean we'll have a "7 3/4 Bore". For a 13 pound gun, it's not THAT unmanageable. Didn't shoot it enough with the cannon grade, but I kinda' thought it was a different recoil cycle, and the report maybe "boomier" crazy.

I like these big suckers,.....want one with those twisty marks on the inside of the tube.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL Cross, and ya probably already know this but a Bud had a 6 Bore rifle with a bit of a rough bore, he coated some patches with JB Bore compound, within twenty shots, that sombuck was shining like new nickels. wink

IIRC he wound up using cut Denim patches saturated with Natural Lube 1000, does a helluva job, I need to find out what he did with that rifle.

Gunner

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CrowRifle

If you're looking for an argument, you need to find another crowd! laugh

We're not just nuts, we're LOONIES! grin

Shooting smallbores like a .458WM, and moving up from there, brings out the silliness in grown men. It must rattle all logic and common sense, as well as numbing certain anatomical features for it to happen, but happen it does! laugh laugh laugh

I'll agree with Greg, the Cannon Grade made a distinctly different sound than the Swiss Fg. Not sure if recoil was worse, as Ken said his lips went numb...

How does one measure lip-numbness to ascertain changes in recoil levels? confused

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Figured I'd put up a pic or two of another potential full grown BPML "Bruiser". This is the butt end of a 20MM barrel that I've had around here forever. Going by the gain twist pattern evident (The riflings start out DEAD straight, and spool up in a nice sine wave).

[Linked Image]

I figure if I can get an industrial chrome shop to "deplate" the chamber area, there'll be adequate room for a good set of breeching threads, and with the remainder of the original chamber properly sleeved to Groove Dia., a BIG powder chamber area.

Doubt seriously that BP pressures will phase the ordnance steel that this thing is hammered outta', and the hard chromed bore is as tough as bloody nails.

[Linked Image]

I think this is the core component of a NICE "12 Bore" Round ball and Conical Slug rig.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I think it would make a dandy scale field piece, say something modeled on a Parrot gun on a suitable carriage?

Hard cast 12ga slug to grip that rifling, pushed around 2000fps.

Ought to hit that rock on the mountain behind the silhouette range there at SV! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
You've got a point, a fellow could "Sleeve" that barrel into any replica profile he chose,......and come up with a handsome scale model,.....the problem is, the damn thing is obviously gonna be WAY to big to shoot off a bench,.......so running it would subtend to crawling around on the ground like an animal.

.....that has no appeal, BDDT.

I've smacked that big rock MANY times over the years, with the 1 3/4, and the 2 1/4" RB guns........It's about 540 yards, wish it were further.

GTC

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You could move the firing point back to the Skeet Range. That would make it further. grin

Or even back to the highway! laugh

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Got a coupla' hours in on the "Beast" this PM. Had to abandon the 12L14 one piece under rib / thimble part, not enough travel in my mill table to get it in one pass.. Carved up a piece of plain old hot rolled for the rib. It's posed next to some INTERESTING "Spent Bullets" here

[Linked Image]

Hot rolled is not very Skookum in terms of "Machinability" (actually, it SUCKS) but this'll do. The "Thimble" is a chunk of 12L Rimfire barrel stock, bored to accept the ramrod, and radiused to lay against the barrel in alignment with the rib.......There's those mysterious "Bullets" again, too.......

[Linked Image]

The Thimble was slotted to mortise onto the Thimble, than they got got a quick and dirty TIG fusion pass. The remaining part of that joint will be flooded with Silver Solder.

[Linked Image]

I'll finish sculpting the thimble in the morning, probably to an Octagon profile, and than soft solder the entire lash-up to the barrel. No more annoying gaps between the rod and barrel to get hung up in thick brush, while stalking and dodging the elusive San Pedro Valley Hippopotamus, and other varmints.

[Linked Image]

Now, .....who's gonna' take a guess at what those 'Bullets" are ?

Best regards,

Greg

Last edited by crossfireoops; 07/27/12.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice work Cross, .45 cal. 230 gr Remington Golden Sabers?

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
nope

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I know, I know, I know!!! grin

Looking good, Greg! I wouldn't worry much about the San Pedro Valley Hippo as much as I would the dreaded Sierra Vista Croc-a-Gator. With a head at each end and no rectum, they are an irritable, smelly, fearsome beast! eek

I'm pretty sure I smelled one while I was visiting, but it could have just been gas after the Pico de Gallo. laugh

Ed

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
nope

Last guess smile surely those aren't the old .458 500 gr. Speer African Grand Slams with their Tungsten cores poking out the bottom of the bullet?

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Nope,.......

they are spent 9 Parabellum hulls, poured full of Bullet alloy, and fired out of some sorta' "375". The rims are HEAVILY engraved, .366 / .376 ", six groove rifling.

Picked em' up below the 100Yd. steel swingers recently,....

Looks like whoever is shooting em' is not being cheap with the powder, either.

Intriguing, but I can't even BEGIN to think what kinda fouling cartridge brass would leave in one's bore.

GTC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ken has told awhile back about Charlie O'Neil using .45 Auto brass filled with lead to make big "wadcutters" to use in his big .475 OKH(.375 H&H with the taper blown out and necked .475")

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Busy, yesterday, friends dropping by, and work in the orchard. Fitted the "composite" under rib / thimble,.....and have figured how to do one of these as a one piece part next time around.

[Linked Image]

Tech Tip......In the absence of "Soldering Talc", welder's soapstone does a fair job.Pictured in use here to "Seal" the downside of the solder joint. That side of the barrel stayed remarkably clean

[Linked Image]

Found an old S. African coin, with a rather Greco Roman looking Buffalo raising hell. It's a bit narrow, and will change it out for something a little bit wider. Looks like the rear sight will probably be a Winchester "BuckHorn" style, as used on their lever guns.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Smilin' here Greg, nice work.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (222Sako, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 44 invisible), 1,905 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,003
Posts18,481,389
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.