Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Dan, this is basically a "shakedown Cruise" and "Re-Orientation" in my own shop. As you know, I haven't spent enough time there in recent years,.........it's nice to find stuff I've grabbed on the fly and tossed in corners, and as well to get a feel for what consumables have been, well,.....consumed, and need replacement.

Working this old thunder stick over has been the PERFECT mechanism of getting it all back in gear.

You KNOW what's next on the agenda

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I thought those looked like primers blush but no way in hell I was gonna say that shockedlaugh

Nice Work Cross, hope ya can find some game to align in the sights this fall.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
looking real nice .

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Some more Wood restoration, with no deference to "Invisibility", Rather a stout, workmanlike, and strong REPAIR.

[Linked Image]

The Red Oak chosen is very supple and strong, and good porosity for soaking up the acraglas.
Pretty straightforward approach, ....the strips are laid up like little bricks, individually fitted to the milled recess that removed all the old busted up and baked out Maple. remember, I'm just making a "quilt" to pattern a new blank off of here.

[Linked Image]

"Looks good from the airport",.....that old S. African Coin was discarded as a front sight,....too narrow and "Fine". What I'd though a Buffalo is actually a Wildebest,......the hacked up asymetric remains of the coin now grace the completed Wrist Bolster plate. eek The Allen Head machine screws are now recessed into the bolster, and some quick "aging" has been thrown at it, as well.

[Linked Image]

Wider front sights don't come cheap,......I've had this coin around since I was a very young man,.....a time when it would get you a decent meal, properly laid, and leave enough for a three day hangover. 1963 Mexican 100 Peso.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by crossfireoops; 07/30/12.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Very nice, and also nice job on positioning that trigger guard with trigger itself towards the rear of the guard.

Wish I had that level of talent and patience. wink,and me and that 100 peso coin hit the dirt in the same year. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B2

C
C
this fellow will make you exactly what you need. i got an 8 ga and a 6 ga mold from him. he ships extremely fast, and you pay him to his usa account..

http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/

and this is his email i think

<jeffjt-bullet-moulds.co.uk>;

that will be fun!!
good luck.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks, cable, I appreciate the lead.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Dan, this is basically a "shakedown Cruise" and "Re-Orientation" in my own shop. As you know, I haven't spent enough time there in recent years,.........it's nice to find stuff I've grabbed on the fly and tossed in corners, and as well to get a feel for what consumables have been, well,.....consumed, and need replacement.

Working this old thunder stick over has been the PERFECT mechanism of getting it all back in gear.

You KNOW what's next on the agenda

Indeed. Will be contacting the Casey in about 2 weeks.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I will certify on my honor that my lips went numb; the lower lip more so. I think it was because the blast lifted them "up and out". Maybe I had my mouth open. It was a unique experience. The lower lip especially felt (or should I say unfelt) like they were nearly frozen. I had that happen once at the top of a mountain above the Schoharie Creek near Liberty, New York once. When my frozen lips tawed out, they felt just like the after effect of firing that 8 bore. Next time I'll keep my mouth shut for sure.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CoupdeGrace
Next time I'll keep my mouth shut for sure.

Famous last words! laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CoupdeGrace
I will certify on my honor that my lips went numb; the lower lip more so. I think it was because the blast lifted them "up and out". Maybe I had my mouth open. It was a unique experience. The lower lip especially felt (or should I say unfelt) like they were nearly frozen. I had that happen once at the top of a mountain above the Schoharie Creek near Liberty, New York once. When my frozen lips tawed out, they felt just like the after effect of firing that 8 bore. Next time I'll keep my mouth shut for sure.

Well, like I said,.....that was the SAME 250 gr charge of "Rusty Elephant" that I was shooting,.......I did TAMP it a bit harder than the others,.....but you saw me loading the thing, they were ALL stepped on pretty hard.

Like dancing the Polka with a Fat Lady, once she gets moving, ya' gotta' hang on.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
There's a great thread running about frozen / seized nipples, and freeing them up for replacement. Knowing that this particular project gun was about the worse possible example one was going to find, I recorded what I did today. This thing was rusted just about solid, I mean YEARS of rust.

[Linked Image]

No flame (pun intended) towards the other thread, but a propane torch is just to "SOFT" to do much more than heat up the entire mass, ....and slowly, at that. What one wants is LOTS of heat, focused FAST, and on a SMALL area. While one can get GREAT results with a small Oxy-Acetylene bud, The method I used here is probably the BEST "Never sweat" approach I know. I've set up a wind break, and using the TIG Torch, commence to bulding up a blob of weld on the recalcitrant nipple,...nothing fancy, just HOT

[Linked Image]

The idea is to take the siezed part (nipple) over it's "Critical" temperature, and in so doing EXPAND it, withing it's recess. Again, LOTS of tightly focused heat is run up that part, and into it's concealed threaded shank.

[Linked Image]

The torch was put away, and the whole piece allowed to cool a bit. The nipple was than screwed out with a small pair of Vice Grips,.....no appreciable force required.

[Linked Image]

The bolster was spritzed with a little Lube Guard, and, as well, required minimal force to spool out of it's lair

[Linked Image]

Barrel and breech plug threads have been chased, and a new bolster generated, ready to re-assemble.

[Linked Image]

I've pulled an AWFUL lot of "Hopelessly Seized" fasteners over the years, using this method, some all packed full of busted easy outs, and twisted off drill bits. IT WORKS.

Last edited by crossfireoops; 08/11/12.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I gots to find me one of them TIG torches. Marvelous tool...loosening tight nipples (always a good thing) and making politicians honest across the land (even better).

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
At this point I'll "fore swear" hooking up my Miller Dynasty DX 300 to politician's .

That being entirely based on today's current events.

..............as far as doing the BEST work with small pieces, parts, and ABSOLUTE demand for success,....

TIG RULES .

"Forge" that.

GTC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
does it affect the barrel any when you apply the heat to the nipple and bolster area?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Probably you should make sure the barrel is not loaded. Just a guess on my part. whistle

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Probably you should make sure the barrel is not loaded. Just a guess on my part. whistle
true. i was referring to any type damage to the outside or inside with that much heat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice tutorial....

Is that rear sight set a wee far back..? Never seen one all the way back by the breech plug.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Field_Hand
does it affect the barrel any when you apply the heat to the nipple and bolster area?

Not in my experience. In point of fact,the "Heat" is VERY localized, and the adjacent mass doies not really get all that hot.

In Arizona's Summer clime,I've had my Badger barrel on my Sharps hot enough (in silhouette matches) that the varnish on the forend was smoking. ML barrels do not get that hot during the process discussed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Nice tutorial....

Is that rear sight set a wee far back..? Never seen one all the way back by the breech plug.

A bit of an "Experiment",....this, since the last photo was taken, that rear sight has been opened up,.....BIG TIME. It now resembles a set of Cape Buffalo / Mbogo horns, and everyone that's thrown it up for a squint says the set up is FAST.

The front sight is VERY wide, and very BRIGHT (when polished).
Remember, the whole thrust of this stunt is "Minute of Hippo at 40 Feet"(or anything ELSE feeling stupid, aggressive, formidable, and outside of the laws of Physics),.......given that we were knocking down NRA Rams at 100 Yards with NO sights at all,......I think this is worth playing with a bit.
I doubt I'll be mounting an MVA or a Baldwin on this old wreck.

Next stunt,......"Honing a somewhat Rusty Bore"

That'll work , too, and I'm willing to bet will yield a "softer shooting" arm.

GTC

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

392 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 10ring1, 40 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,002
Posts18,481,294
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.