Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Nice tutorial....

Is that rear sight set a wee far back..? Never seen one all the way back by the breech plug.

Didn't mean to jam out,.....been fencing all day, and my stomach thought my throat was cut.

This, to me is perhaps a NICE alternative to a "Ghost Ring" setup, and as noted previous is FAST. Some more work with a fresh chainsaw file is in order,.....to get the geometry dead nuts, I reckon

[Linked Image]

Anybody that thinks a small Cape Buffalo "Face" carved out of iron, and grafted in facing forward, below the "Notch" won't look like a million bucks hasn't read enough Bob Ruark. grin The "elevator style" setup is admittedly fragile, compared to a folding leaf Express sight.
Sorry, building a set of good folding leaf sights is some time that WON'T get invested in this piece, until there's riflings in the barrel.There are three VERY clear planes of elevation quickly available with this setup. No reason , once the initial "Load development" is handled, not to just solder in the wedge, ......is there ?

[Linked Image]

.....now where can I get a little "Buffalo Face" about the size of a split pea ?

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now that has great potential for snap shooting a covey rise of hogs. Nice open sight that could serve well close up with 4 oz of #3 buck over a cart fulla powder.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I am NOT going to kvetch, pizz, or moan about the WET weather. Yup, the "bugs" are having a ball, West Nile bearing Mosquitos, Gnats that lodge in yer' ears, and a virtual ERUPTION of big, pizzed off carpenter ants (Gracie got nailed pretty bad by em' while napping this afternoon)

Looked like about the right time to burn out some large Mesquite stumps that are in the new work area, Paddock, and Orchard.

The resultant "smudge" put the run on the flying ones,....and some rather stale gas ([bleep]' Ethanol crap) put paid to "Them".

There's some heavy duty high tech precision underway here, in the smudge, this evening.

[Linked Image]

An elaborate "Honing System" has been brought in, at great expense....

[Linked Image]

Funny,.....I had the opportunity to display and photo the crap that was being collected in that cup,......a mixture of iron oxides, old BP fouling, and that American Icon,....WD 40. I don't usually allow that stuff ANYWHERE near a firearm,.....or petroleum of any ilk near BP arms in general. So, at the termination of this evening's stunt, I sprayed 1/2 a can of "Carb and Choke Cleaner" through the visibly improved wrought iron barrel. Suffice it to say the cup of muddy brown sludge obviously needed to be properly disposed of,.... whistle
....there was a fire immediately adjacent wink
.......no photographer, to record a truly "Hold My beer and watch this" moment. eek laugh cool

Good stuff, the fireball looked like something filmed in Bagdad, circa GW 1 . I DID here a somewhat distant neighbor yelling in astonishment, but they're by and large used to hearing and seeing astonishing events over here. All is good.

Back to the high tech discussion

[Linked Image]

This old gun is gonna' shoot a LOT softer, with the bore cleaned up,......that much is EASY to figure.

Hell, we're only 50 grains offa' Gunner's 300 charge, as it was.

Night all,

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I (and I think I speak for all who know her) hope that Gracie makes a full and speedy recovery from those nasty, snapping, unforgiving, ground-borne vermin who know no mercy when they fall upon a poor sleeping dog-princess like Gracie.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Cross you coulda used one of these rotary chimney sweepers to get the fouling out of that tunnel.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We'll have to do one of these "1/2 WD40, 1/2 Carb and Choke Cleaner Fireballs" at the next rondy,......

Standing well back, the tosser in full welding gear, of course.

They were roping, off to the South last night, and saw the damn thing epupt ......WAY higher than the shop roof.

Good clean fun, that.

GTC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
coming along nice.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Cross you coulda used one of these rotary chimney sweepers to get the fouling out of that tunnel.

[Linked Image]

Ha !
I'm poking away at it,.....
Actually, by the time the stones are gone (which won't be too long now), the bore's gonna look pretty fair.

I'm going to expand the adjustable reamer I've been using as a bore gauge, and see just how much material I've actually taken out,.....It was a tight gliding fit (measured .873"),....and is now has a pretty good rattle.

We'll see, ....... Mike don't lie.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 08/23/12.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

So is that a cylinder hone.? Is the barrel a smooth-bore..?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yes.

GTC

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I almost didn't recognize the shop without it being filled with bbq-chompin', beverage swillin', fireside sittin', fib tellin' type folks... grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You know you've reached the "Big Bore" threshold when you clean up your barrel with a cylinder hone.... eek

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image]

If it wasn't before, it sure is now! laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
I almost didn't recognize the shop without it being filled with bbq-chompin', beverage swillin', fireside sittin', fib tellin' type folks... grin

I'll own up to liking that shop better when it's redolent with the smells of Kent's and Your cooking,and a regular campfire versus a mesquite stump smudge, and WD40, Old Timer. grin

Hell, it's a pretty fine lurk any time !

GTC

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nice to see the project progress!
This thread reminded me of Ed Hubel's "12 gauge from hell" thread in the Big Bore Only page! cool

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Hell, it's a pretty fine lurk any time !

GTC

I'll second that, amigo! Just sitting outside with a cold one, listening to your resident birds and watching Gracie hunt gophers while we discuss life's conundrums & all things BPCR was a real treat!

Sitting here in a hotel room in a big city just cannot compare, no matter how fancy it is...

Gotta do that again sometime soon.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colodog
Nice to see the project progress!
This thread reminded me of Ed Hubel's "12 gauge from hell" thread in the Big Bore Only page! cool

i was thinking the same.....both way cool threads

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
[Linked Image]

If it wasn't before, it sure is now! laugh

Ed

Can't go to the races if she ain't stroked and bored ya know. Beach Boys said so.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Finally got around to downloading pics from my visit to Greg's and his work on the 8 Bore.

Check out the craftsmanship on that trigger! The pics do not do justice to his skills!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
After turning the ramrod tip from a piece of barrel cut-off, Greg shaped it on the lathe, then milled a cutout so it would lay against the underside of the barrel.

[Linked Image]
Don't mess with Greg when he's in "The Zone"! grin

[img]http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa442/Knife1boy/Gregtestfiringthe8Boreforthefirsttime.jpg[/img]

Obviously, Greg survived the encounter. I just wish I could find the pics showing how the slug blew through about six inches of dried oak and whistled off into the sunset. grin

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 10/04/12.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice shop Cross. smile

And I can tell ya a bit about those 850 gr blue whistlers Ed, I shot a basket racked 10 point at 25 yards, perfectly broadside, the ball bowled him over and at the conclusion of the first wave of BOOOOMMMMMM................I heard ka wap wap wop wap wop badattt, that was that round ball knocking chunks outta wrist sized pine saplings on it's way out across the clearcut. shocked

Amazing I tell ya. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,304
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.