Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm hoping you hit him BEHIND the shoulder! laugh

Can you imagine an African settler whacking a DikDik with an 8 Bore? grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I'm hoping you hit him BEHIND the shoulder! laugh

Can you imagine an African settler whacking a DikDik with an 8 Bore? grin

Ed

LOL Ed, I hit him precisely behind the shoulder, took him to the butcher to let him cool-hang for 10 days, on the 11th day I got a weird call from Butcher.

He said, "what in hells [bleep] did ya kill that deer with? did ya run a damn rock bar through him or something"

I LMAO and told him about the 8-Bore, he stated in 45 years of butchering all kinds of BG animals he had NEVER seen a clean cut hole that big. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
how's the shoulder? grin

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Fine shape, the 300 gr charge of black powder produces 189 ft. lbs. free recoil, but the 400 gr charge with the 850 gr round ball delivered to ya via a steel butt in a 10 pound rifle is off tha charts. cry

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Been busy here on a myriad of other jobs, an antique revolver collector tracked me down, and a steady stream of classic colts and S&W have been flowing across the bench. LOTS of projects out at the range, too. Spent part of yesterday studying a PAT trap machine, and will be firing the old sucker up next Thurs. It's in on the new facility where ya' helped me hang that gate, Ed.

Had the beast out for a spin,Sunday last,......since honing the barrel it's shooting WAY softer, so I wound up going to 375 Gr charge weight (that's 3 Norma .45 basic cases full) Behind those 840 slugs.

[Linked Image]

ChesterPulley got these pics ,.....I,ve tossed the "P Pad" back into the gear bag, it makes a good solid hold difficult and awkward,.......with that big wide butt plate, it's hardly needed anyway.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by crossfireoops; 10/05/12.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That's great, Greg.

Where's the tang sight? grin

Or are you just going to use the sights from a Parrott ? laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Or are you just going to use the sights from a Parrott ?

I took that to mean the sights from a Parrott Gun, right Ed?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CoupdeGrace
Or are you just going to use the sights from a Parrott ?

I took that to mean the sights from a Parrott Gun, right Ed?

That's correct, sir! That 8 Bore is a piece of artillery bordering on crew-served! grin

Welcome to the 'Fire!

Ed

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hell yeah Cross, wink yers kicks about 6"s of ramrod outta the end jus like mine. smile

And it's gotta be mucho cool working on those old six-shooters, I do admire you gents with the patience and skill for weapons building/repair.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Helluva a trail walked here! Good on ya Greg!

D

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Been ponderin' this from a safe distance...watched a fella shooting a 40+# Perry slug rifle a couple years back. .56 caliber using a 900 grain conical with 200 grains of Swiss 1.5 Fg. Smacked him pretty good and the earth shook a little. The 8 bore needs a carriage...in my chickenchitt opinion... laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It's really not that bad, Dan...just a shove, doncha know. Greg's just faking the muzzle rise. grin

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, uh huh baby....you betcha...

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Dan, The next series of photos will be of your 25 lb Leonard, "Big George" gettin' stripped down, internal (invisible) stock repair / reinforcement, fitment of the rejuvenated lock, and THAN,....the generation of alla' the tools, accessories, rear sight needed to get it back onto the firing line.

I'm chasing some largish dia. sticks of Brass / Bronze at this time for the False Muzzle, Ball starter setup, and will use some of same for The 8 Bore's Ball mold project.

Any word on how the Benevolent Wizard's makin' out with the lock?

Greg

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
25 LB Leonard? please explain, is it a heavy BP target rifle of some kind Cross?

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yes,....

Dan can get you up to speed

Buffalo League match today, gotta' dash

later,

GTC

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
RAH-JAH, good shooting.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
watched a fella shooting a 40+# Perry slug rifle a couple years back. .56 caliber using a 900 grain conical with 200 grains of Swiss 1.5 Fg. Smacked him pretty good and the earth shook a little.

A long time ago, when I was new to muzzleloading, I cleaned my .54 Hawkins, and decided that a good way to make sure it was dry inside was to burn some powder. So... I poured in some powder (did not measure) and tamped in a piece of paper towel. Nothing else, and fired it off. wife came out of the house and asked "what the hell was that?" In a little bit a neighbor that lives about a half mile away, came down and wanted to know what blew up. It did not sound that loud to me. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Haven't heard from him Greg, my guess is 3-4 weeks from arrival at his place.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
25 LB Leonard? please explain, is it a heavy BP target rifle of some kind Cross?

Gunner

That it is Gunner. Round ball bench gun of .54 caliber made by George Leonard. It had some character flaws when it first came up on the radar...missing tools, missing rear sight, some mechanicals. The barrel is good and it's a fair bit of handsome work that Leonard did putting it together. I'll wait for Cross to put up a few pics and we can chat about it. The lock is being reworked up in Wyoming by an fine gun crank named Casey.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DigitalDan; 10/07/12.

I am..........disturbed.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 280shooter, 10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 13 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,997
Posts18,481,168
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.