Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#6664443 07/08/12
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, new to me, anyway.

Best we can figure is an African settlers rig, massive octagon to round smoothbore, and a NICE R. Ashmore percussion lock, the thing's been around, and is quite beat up, the wrist was in flinders, as acquired.

Patched it up enough to proof it with a ridiculous heavy charge,.....and seeing as how it digested that happily, now have it on the bench, and am doing a steel reinforced stock repair. not looking for anything in particular, just a working gun, as it were.

These things ARE fun wink

anybody know where I can get an .835 RB Mold ?

[Linked Image]

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Wow! I'd need to be 20 years younger to try that monster.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Very interesting find. It would be a real blast on a hog hunt. Try Dixie Gun Works for the mold.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
There's been a PILE of interesting originals landing here, and more on the way, I reckon.

If Digital Dan don't mind, I'll post some pics of a 25 lb George O. Leonard target rifle I chased to ground for him.......it's just a flat GORGEOUS piece, too.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
'nother view of this mossy old World traveler 8 bore.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Oh Hell Yeah Cross, that'll work man. wink

I have a mold and a set of handles I'd loan ya, but mine are only .825

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Might check with Colin Stolzer up in Kansas, or Steve Zihn out in Wyoming.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Hey,....THANKS for the offer !

This old pelter's got a whopping .883 Bore , and I'm gonna' sneak up on what it'll toss well, before buying ANYTHING......certainly lotsa' room for a patch, eh ?

That accomplished, I may just make a cherry, and enlarge an existing off the shelf Slug Mold.

GTC

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Your Welcome, and that beast may swallow a triple pillow ticked patched ball of .835 dia. as is shocked WOW grin

Gunner

And you talk about a 4 ounce charge of copper plated 00 Buckshot, PURE HELLFIRE AND BRIMSTONE, up close and personal like.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Use a thick leather patch. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Roughed out the Side plate (1/4" thick) yesterday evening (Torch and Belt sander). Did some final shaping Started here mid morning, lock screw holes kinda' pointing towards skew.

[Linked Image]

in another view, one can see where the poor old thing had snapped itself completely in half,.....across the lower wrist.
Acra-Glas rocks !

[Linked Image]

I'm on a quick beer break,......coupla' hours of "digging" in that VERY hard Maple sees the wrist reinforce ready to sculpt a bit. This repair is VERY common on old hard kickers, If a guy's BUILDING one, he should just put the damn thing in than.

[Linked Image]

I'll be dropping a massive steel trigger plate / trigger guard into the bottom, and running a piece of Hydraulic tubing through the forend for the wiping stick channel, to marry up the forend to the hind end....I don't think the wrist will give up again in this geological epoch.

GTC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wowzers brother Greg!
I cant wait to see that monster knock over some pig iron grin

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Steel Plate's sculpted,....fixin' to mill in the trigger plate recess,.....than start carving / forging / welding the trigger plate / guard .

Sunday 'hobbying', as it were, Tomas'.

It's hard to get a sense of the SIZE of this big [bleep], from the pics.

You're welcome to shoot it , any time.

GTC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You KNOW I will too.
grin

Hell I am unashamed... I officially call dibs in the will before that pig f-er KRP does. grin

Looking forward to more pics as she goes.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
200-250 gr powder charge?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
My 8-Bore runs between 300 and 400 grains, it is of more recent manufacture and completely safe in my rifle, but ease into it, and really not necessary to even go there. cry

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Somewhere there's the ghost of a craftsman, smiling that his creation is still usable, many years later. smile

I've shot a few original blackpowder cartridge rifles, but never have tried an original muzzleloader. How does one go about judging them safe to shoot?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Somewhere there's the ghost of a craftsman, smiling that his creation is still usable, many years later. smile

I've shot a few original blackpowder cartridge rifles, but never have tried an original muzzleloader. How does one go about judging them safe to shoot?

Inspection, inspection, and inspection,......."proofing", well yeah, and in the case Of this one I loaded it to the NUTS, and lanyard fired it off a scatter blanketed cradle. All proofing REALLY does, is tell you it did not blow up THIS time.

This old thing's got good iron, and is worth getting back up and running,.....nothing fancy, ....just RUNNING Safely, to start out with. If the notion takes me, I MIGHT spool up a new stock,.......at some point.

I'd say that 100-150 grains is all I'm ever going to want or need, I'd as soon watch the ball flying as opposed to getting my wits rattled.

Oh,....the proof load for this one ? I used 800 grains of "mixed cannon" ( That's Fg, FFg, and FFFg left over powder),......and filled the bore the rest of the way with compressed cat litter.....it was an IMPRESSIVE shot wink eek

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
So, I got the Trigger Plate recess milled in and squared up, the damn stock has some cast on (Maybe the result of being broken in half and re-assembled years later ?). Gonna have to make a separate "Tail" for the trigger plate, and tack it to the one shown once it's inletted in a crooked, off center mode.

[Linked Image]

If I can get the tang screw out of this beast, I'm going to catch the back end of this new trigger plate with a stout machine screw. The front of it will be grabbing a nut welded to the new ramrod tube, stock reinforce,.......a piece of 1/2" Hydraulic Tubing that will be glued in.

[Linked Image]

No drawings made, and damn few measurements taken. These old school MLs are really 'Intuitive' to work with, if it looks right, it probably IS.

I really DISLIKE the "Musket look' of this thing, and am considering shortening the forend, and turning the round portion back to a more balanced proportion. The thing PROBABLY had a longer barrel at one point,......and the extrapolation about Africa is just that,....it MAY have been a "Market Gun", built here on these shores. HTF it wound up in Az. is anybody's guess.

Wonder if I just shortened it further, and kept only the octagon portion....?

Unusual Carbine / Musketoon, that would be.

[Linked Image]

Good fun, Old ML guns,....just play safe, and understand the limits to old metalurgy.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 07/08/12.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Greg, go on ahead with Big George when it suits.

Back in the day they used canister loads for perimeter defense in the 105's and 155 mm Howitzers. Guessin' about 3 ounces of #1 buck would serve you well. 4 if you're really feeling cranky.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Man I wish I had the time to swing out AZ way, I mean if I were issued an invite of course, blush and bring along my old 8 bore, and check out your new rifle to Cross.

Be fun comparing notes, load data, and checking out these old BOOOMERS. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Barrel on that beast looks like the axle from a '55 Studebaker.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy powder by the bushel for that Grand Old Monster cool cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've decided to go with a ' retro tacticool' theme, and seeing as how Allen Head Machine screws are all "Passe" ( or izzat Puzzy?), will trick out this rig accordingly.

Next,....a Picanninny Rail !

What power of scope should I be looking for ?

......Original handmade screws go into honorable retirement....

[Linked Image]

Screwing things up

[Linked Image]

Tacticool look

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This thing may not be "pretty",....but it's damned sure starting to look SOLID, isn't it ?

[Linked Image]

.....first make it RUN,....than worry about "Pretty" I says.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 07/09/12.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lookin' good fer field artillery. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
You sure them screw heads won't rearrange your fingers when she snorts and bellers?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bet that would punch your shoulder. nice gun.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now THAT looks like a fun project. Wonder how it found its way to Arizona? Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Field_Hand

No need to bet FH, I can promise ya a full load wit a "BIG 8" will knock the cornbread piss outta full growd man. laugh

And nice goin' Cross, these "BIG BOOMERS" are lotsa fun. grin

Gunner

And just a simple suggestion, after the wrist repair, you may want to consider wrapping the wrist with some tight leather strapping, looks really nice, hides any repair work, and provides X-TRA grippage. LOL

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crowrifle
You sure them screw heads won't rearrange your fingers when she snorts and bellers?

They WILL be trimmed,....and slotted, prior to shooting, Se�or.

I seem to remember doing something like this before.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This is funny, today's "New Parts" stunt.

......and predicated in a dedicated avocation for the REAL essence of "Git 'er Done"

KILLER budgetary impact soaked up eek ( $.50 at the flea market), and a rare and special 'Trigger Guard in the Raw' wink begins it's transformation

[Linked Image]

You're chitting these folks, Crossfire ! mad

.......No, I most certainly am NOT. cool

[Linked Image]

Just find the damn form and RUN IT !

[Linked Image]

Damn, you would have to be seeing alla' this to believe it ?

.......go ahead and believe it.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500

No need to bet FH, I can promise ya a full load wit a "BIG 8" will knock the cornbread piss outta full growd man. laugh

Gunner

And just a simple suggestion, after the wrist repair, you may want to consider wrapping the wrist with some tight leather strapping, looks really nice, hides any repair work, and provides X-TRA grippage. LOL

Sinew already arranged,.....and booked, as it were.

.....looks like we come from the same tribe ( or general root stock) of [bleep].

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cool stuff cross, now to make your shoulder whimper, during "The Age of the Gauge Rifle" a smoothbore 8 was an average gun, not really big enough for a dedicated buffalo or elephant rig.....worked ok on the big cats though crazy 6's, 4's and 2's were serious tusker gear with the 4 considered about ideal....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Gunner

.....looks like we come from the same tribe ( or general root stock) of [bleep].

GTC

Ya wouldnt happen to have any Rogue Black Irish/Osage Indian blood coursin' through ya veins would ya Cross? laugh

Gunner

Oh and love the Sheer's trigger guard. wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Gunner

GTC

Ya wouldnt happen to have any Rogue Black Irish/Osage Indian blood coursin' through ya veins would ya Cross? laugh

Gunner

Oh and love the Sheer's trigger guard. wink
I might. i always said give my papaw some bailing wire and duct tape and he could build a nuclear reactor.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I may have noted earlier that this beast at one time had a longer barrel, .......who KNOWS what inspired ( or required ) it's getting the hacksaw treatment. Anyway, the goofy 'Short musket' look is not my cuppa' so this AM's been about "Sporty", as applied to behemoths.

Taper attachments are SO handy

[Linked Image]

I did manage (sheer bloody LUCK) to catch a pretty decent center calc, and punch it into the breech plug / hook. Being right on the edge of a radius meant a bit of fancy dancing with a Foredom Tool first, though. Nice old Forged Wrought Iron barrel, the Mechanic who beat it out didn't get too awful fancy about the bottom (concealed) flats

[Linked Image]

Progress, so far

[Linked Image]

That 'Trigger Guard' is a BIT largish, maybe this is a Polar Bear medicine stick,.......than and again, given the recoil potential of this old beaut, lotsa' room my be just the ticket.
Gonna use a chunk of steel Hydraulic line up through the forend, ....and glass it in well under the breech,.......will than sweat (TIG) on a Tapped lug to catch a machine screw through the front of the new trigger plate. Will probably mill up a beefy steel forend cap to support the front end of the tube. Muzzle "Chin" will get a beefy steel ramrod thimble, as well. Dunno if I'll rib the underside of the now round barrel portion,......that can certainly be done down line.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Once the threaded bearing lug that will catch the new trigger plate is welded on, This tubing will be "cast" into forend, it's rear projecting WELL into the area behind and below the lock, almost to the sear bar recess. Up forward a section will be peened flat on top, and later milled whisker thin to accomodate a dovetailed Wedge lug. A pewter nose cap will be cast around it's front end. The real Achilles heal on this sorta traditional design is that the wood in front of the lock / hooked breech bolster is rather flimsy. This tubing, through it's conection with the trigger plate, will tie the forend all the way back into the wrist, which is now solidly through bolted to the breech bolster's tang.

I reckon this will be a GOOD repair.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by crossfireoops; 07/12/12.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
WOOHOO!! I can't wait to heft that baby! grin

I finally figured out how to transfer a picture that was texted to me into my picture account.

Here are a couple of Gunner500's "speedloaders" for his Big Bore Baby;

[Linked Image]

Not sure I want to have to "speed load" and shoot... eek

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh Hey Main ya gotter done didnt ya LOL, that 200 gn Partition in that '06 hull looks kinda smallish dont it?

And ya have to keep yer belt a little snug with four of those speedloaders in yer pocket, they kinda heavy blush

And on the quick fire and repeat, no problemo, put that first ball in the right spot and it's over LOL

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Both of you are NUTS,.....

I'm going to be quite comfortable with 240 grain charges, and a patched RB.

Nonetheless building the old pelter to handle heavier, if needs be.

OK,.....I'm kinda' interested in those "Speedloaders".

Ya'll do a bunch of speed before chargin' em' up,....or WTF ?

Sheet Metal Shears Trigger Guard is stalled, T$ts up. Hadfield (Managanese Steel) is not "annealing" VERY WELL,.....and IMPOSSIBLE to machine by sane personnel.

If I were going to plow gravel, or crush rocks with a trigger guard, ....I would continue forging,......

Will post a pic of the finished attempt,.....a purportedly "Huge" bronze TG is lurking in the wings,....so the "All Iron" intent may well go into the toilet. Hell , it will save replacing that buttplate.

GTC

GTC

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Coming along right nice like Cross wink I have ran my rifle up to 400 grs 2F Swiss, even though safe, it's really stupid and completely unnecessary cry my standard load is 300 grs. 2F Swiss and a pure lead pillow ticked patched RB.

Have only used it on one game animal, a little 10 point basket racked WT deer, 20 yds through both shoulders and DRT, not a twitch. smile

That is more than enough for all NA game IMHO.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
300grs. ????? gives new meaning to the phrase hand cannon.dang.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
300grs. ????? gives new meaning to the phrase hand cannon.dang.

Oh hell no FH, these are shoulder fired cannons, if some one were to seriously build an 8-bore pistol and fire it with 300 gn 2FG, they would be picking the pistol up out of the dining room floor.

Thats after I flew through the idiots skull that fired it AND the wall of the house laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
very cool. i'm a rather large boned man so i would like to take the challenge of firing that monster bore. laugh

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Go back to page 4 and look below Crosses work and see two of my homemade speedloaders with an '06 round between 'em.

To give ya an idea on the recoil to expect, a 375 H&H provides 39.5 FT LBS free recoil in a 9.5 lb rifle firing factory loaded 300 gn bullets @2550 fps.

My 8-Bore firing an 850 gn round ball in a ten pound rifle @1400 fps will boot ya with 189 FT LBS free recoil, nearly five times harder than the H&H, something ya really gotta EASE into Bro laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
nice.!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh YBYA it's nice...........nice to have B.C. powders and a cold long neck B-Wiser afterwards laugh

And I didnt even run the numbers on the 400 gr charge load, that was just plain [bleep] stupid of me to pull the trigger on that HELLFIRE BISH eek

I contacted the maker and wanted the "Proof" load, it proofed alright. crazy

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
laugh i'm dying laughing right now.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh I thought I was gonna die laughing to when I touched off that 400 gr charge. cry [bleep], that sombish rocked me.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
An Old friend rescued me from any further forging and beating on that almost IMPOSSIBLY tough 'Shear Handle TG'. In a box of assorted rubble, I found a nice old original bronze Trigger Guard. I've no idea as to what it was originally fitted to, but the styling suggests a big Flintlock musket.

[Linked Image]

Shown here sweated onto the new trigger plate. One can see the .500 X .600 " block that's drilled off vertical center to the ramrod tubes .375" I.D.,......than counterbored and sweated to a slightly reduced dia. end on the tube. This provided just over .100" of material to drill and tap to 10-32 machine screw threads. Given that the "block" discussed intersects with and "Keys" against the hooked breech lower section, and with the block and tube now glassed in,....the entire rifle is now tied together fore and aft with STEEL, as opposed to the original wood. I shamlessly copied this basic concept from the Sharps '74 setup, a STOUT way to assemble a rifle.

In the course of this rebuild not a single wood screw has been applied, so far.

[Linked Image]

Looks like there'll maybe be a short fat wood screw catching the tail of that guard.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by crossfireoops; 07/13/12.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That gun would be great for loading with about 30gr of powder and shooting full PBR cans serving the patrons at the local hillbilly bar.... Be like a Lamberts Cafe but bar style...... grin

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice work on that Greg.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Lookin' real GOOD Cross, congrats on the new TG. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
If (when?) I spool up a fresh stock,.....it'll be changed out for something a little less martial, and a lot more "Sporty",....think Alex Henry,Rigby,Gibbs and such. It'll do for the time being, though.

Got a tech tip,......no flame on Brownells, ....BUT.

If you're a fan of Brownells "Force 44" low temp Silver Solder,....you're paying over TWICE as much for what Harris Welco sells under the name 'Staybright'. Would not be surprised but that the Brownells product IS HW in source. Nice for general gun work in the classic mode,....ribs, small non critical joints, etc.

Damned if I can call out the high temp / high strength solution,....there are so many out there.

GTC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looking good.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Poking around on the Mill this AM, With the Hyraulic Tube 'Spine' relieved transversely to it's ID, there's a TON of room for a good big dovetailed barrel underlug / Wedge Gudgeon

[Linked Image]

The wedge will be carved out of an old (Bent) ejector pin I salvaged years ago whilst millwrighting a 600 tom IM press in Tucson. The "Flea Market Special" brass punches will become the "Wedge plates / Estucheons".

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That's really coming together nicely!
Dang, I need another project!!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hey Cross, do you have enough steel left, or have ya considered milling a wedding band on the barrel where the octagon and round meet?

Lots of old British Bore Rifles had them, and so does mine, just thought I'd pass that along to ya, kind of a cool little addition.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
By golly, ve got dose 'Mine Readers' here now, Sven !

Ya,.....JUST enough,......it will lay just inside of a poured pewter nose cap,.......

this old pelter is starting to look like Johny Cash's "one piece at a time" car,.......all sortsa' mixed up crap from different eras mixed and matched into a strong, serviceable gun.

Sometimes it's just fun to dig through old junk and BUILD something, eh ?

Ole says, "Vait 'til I mount the picaninny rail and ACOG sight dere, Sven"

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh and you'll have to bore the see thru rings outta forged billet tungsten to get 'em to hold sick

If ya wanna pic of mine PM me yer cell and I'll shoot ya a pic of the band area. smile

Gunner

Oh, and yer nickname of "Pelter" certainly applies to the Bore rifles eek

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Got no "Cell"

I've got several good patterns to work offa',.....just bear in mind that this is no "Replica" of much of anything in particular, more like a "Ronny" of old gun parts getting together to form a unit of some sort.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, the brass estucheons are roughed out , slotted, inletted.
Will set up the screws (or machine screws to retain em' tomorrow, than go to carving the barrel underlug

[Linked Image]

I built a pretty nice sporter in .308, back in 1975. It was built on a "Rhinehart Fajen" blank, my first "Inletting Job".......I built, forged and machined up the carving tools pictured before tackling that job,....they're holding up well, and they really have continued to fill the bill, since. GREAT for cutting out gaskets, too wink .

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Got no "Cell"

I've got several good patterns to work offa',.....just bear in mind that this is no "Replica" of much of anything in particular, more like a "Ronny" of old gun parts getting together to form a unit of some sort.

GTC

RAH-JAH, glad ya have some working patterns. wink

Gunner

And lookin' good Cross.

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Impressive.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Impressive.

Crosses' work? no doubt Crowrifle, but touching off one of these Bore Rifles is in its own special and very enlightening way, very IMPRESSIVE as well. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I ain't like others who had a man crush on him, but I do recognize and appreciate that level of skill. He and ScottF need to be passing some of that savy on to others.

And yes I would love a chance to to dance with that girl when he gets all her parts back in place.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No man crush implied CR, I was agreeing with your recognition of talent, nothing more or less, and iffin yer through Okiehoma way and dont get all the way to Az. give me a PM buzz, you can fire my 8-Bore too, had a hand out West cast me up 4 Hunnert round balls, and got lots of BP and Musket Caps. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Many thanks!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Many thanks!

You betcha Bro. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Been on the go,.....lotsa' projects at the range, and the orchard never sleeps. Got a few critical little "detail" jobs aced,....the barrel under lug is milled, installed and it's companion wedge fitted,......one needs a clamp to install an remove it. On anything that demonstrates serious recoil, that is the ONLY way to fly. Found a bit of Starret O1, and carved out a trigger, too.

[Linked Image]

Had to fit a "Travel Limiting screw" through the trigger plate, I'm kinda' happy with the trigger,.....bearing in mind that this is no Benchrest gun,......

[Linked Image]

In between mechanical repair and revision, am piling on the acra-glas,......trying to build up something that can be patterned off of,...at a future date.

[Linked Image]

"To Many Letters " is going to be swinging through and lighting for a coupla days, and it would be fun to shoot this beast, so I went ahead and fitted a rather simple but functional Pewter nose cap. This thing is such a CLUB, that it's hard to get very good lines out of one's play.

Not that far from finished, we can still toss something down range with this beast, this weekend. I'm thinking to get Jim's 2 Oz 12 ga slug mold, and just hammer some balls out of em' on the bench. Hoping for minute of Hippo (at 21 feet) class accuracy.

[Linked Image]

Gotta' get to work on a ball mold,.....muy pronto

[Linked Image]

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 07/18/12.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn that pewter nose cap looks good. wink Keep after it Cross, think ya got a visitor headed yer way that may wanna fire that Pelter. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
nice!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice to see you're doing such fine work on my 8 bore buddy.... wink
cool grin cool

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
An trigger out of Starrett -01 tool steel. Now that is how firearms should be made.

Again, cutting an trigger out of -01 goes way above and beyond anything in modern production. Great job.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That be some very nice work. Your hair on fire yet? laugh

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Damn that pewter nose cap looks good. wink Keep after it Cross, think ya got a visitor headed yer way that may wanna fire that Pelter. grin

Gunner

Yup, I was driving posts for the gate at the new trap range yesterday AM early yesterday AM when Ed rolled in. With his help getting that sucker hung (I'd already set / concreted posts prior)went FAST.

Once back at the "Rusty Iron" a BP Alloys and casting clinic got rolling,.....interspersed with sundry and compendious yarn spinning and dialogue.

Ed makes a GREAT Pico de Gallo,.....ya' could hardly breath in the old shack for onion and jalape�o fumes for a while.

We'll be casting some big .459s later this AM,.....than do a sizing , loading run.

..........shoot em' Ma�ana wink

GTC

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
That be some very nice work. Your hair on fire yet? laugh

Dan

laughDD, even if his hair catches fire, no worries, workin' on an 8-Bore will cause a man to grow more, pronto grin

More good news Cross, helluva deal, that Ed's a smart feller aint he?
You two joinin' forces will have that Big 8 breathing fire and belchin smoke and lead in no time flat. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Gunner,

I can't hold a candle when it comes to Greg's know-how about all things metal-working.

We had an absolute blast (pun intended!) shooting that thing! See the thread in the BPCR forum for a couple of pics.

As to the Pico de Gallo, Greg was on the phone with a gunsmithing customer and had to leave the house because the jalapeno & onion fumes were so bad! I had to suffer through it, after all, I was the one putting it all together. grin

Standing there at the kitchen counter, my eyes pouring tears, my nose threatening to jump off my face and run away, and my fingers burning from the jalapeno juice and then lime juice, coughing like I had TB & emphysema combined! laugh

Good stuff!

One thing we discovered about the 8 Bore, Greg needs to fit sights to it. It apparently is far more accurate than we thought!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sounds like a helluva trip ya had there Ed, need to get You, Cross, ET, TEXNCAL, and any other BP hands out West, and I need to pull up Sharpsguy [BB] from Texas to ride out with me to the 24 HR Boar Hunt this spring.

Sharps, Percussions, Flinters, and Bore Rifles, pure Black Powder destruction. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
My Amigo just sent these over,.....

125 gr 1FG Elephant behind 840 gr patched slug

[Linked Image]

Versus 250 Gr same, behind same

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
YEEHAW, you damn right Cross, thats what its all about wink

I shoot 300 gr in mine, but I'm bettin there aint nothing walkin' that can receive a hit from that 840/250 gr load and walk.

Gunner

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
You guys are certifiable nuts. smile

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by CrowRifle

Now Crowrifle, yer spose to be tellin' us something we dont know. laugh shocked

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
YEEHAW, you damn right Cross, thats what its all about wink

I shoot 300 gr in mine, but I'm bettin there aint nothing walkin' that can receive a hit from that 840/250 gr load and walk.

Gunner

I'm thinking that the thing will shoot "Softer" with a properly sized patched RB. I reckon the provisional projos we're tossing right now (Patched 12 Ga. 2 Oz.)are kind wadding up and generating lotsa' "drag". The interior of that old iron barrel is kinda' rough and WILL get honed. Given that the bore's already at .873", I kinda expect that once honed clean we'll have a "7 3/4 Bore". For a 13 pound gun, it's not THAT unmanageable. Didn't shoot it enough with the cannon grade, but I kinda' thought it was a different recoil cycle, and the report maybe "boomier" crazy.

I like these big suckers,.....want one with those twisty marks on the inside of the tube.

GTC

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL Cross, and ya probably already know this but a Bud had a 6 Bore rifle with a bit of a rough bore, he coated some patches with JB Bore compound, within twenty shots, that sombuck was shining like new nickels. wink

IIRC he wound up using cut Denim patches saturated with Natural Lube 1000, does a helluva job, I need to find out what he did with that rifle.

Gunner

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

If you're looking for an argument, you need to find another crowd! laugh

We're not just nuts, we're LOONIES! grin

Shooting smallbores like a .458WM, and moving up from there, brings out the silliness in grown men. It must rattle all logic and common sense, as well as numbing certain anatomical features for it to happen, but happen it does! laugh laugh laugh

I'll agree with Greg, the Cannon Grade made a distinctly different sound than the Swiss Fg. Not sure if recoil was worse, as Ken said his lips went numb...

How does one measure lip-numbness to ascertain changes in recoil levels? confused

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Figured I'd put up a pic or two of another potential full grown BPML "Bruiser". This is the butt end of a 20MM barrel that I've had around here forever. Going by the gain twist pattern evident (The riflings start out DEAD straight, and spool up in a nice sine wave).

[Linked Image]

I figure if I can get an industrial chrome shop to "deplate" the chamber area, there'll be adequate room for a good set of breeching threads, and with the remainder of the original chamber properly sleeved to Groove Dia., a BIG powder chamber area.

Doubt seriously that BP pressures will phase the ordnance steel that this thing is hammered outta', and the hard chromed bore is as tough as bloody nails.

[Linked Image]

I think this is the core component of a NICE "12 Bore" Round ball and Conical Slug rig.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I think it would make a dandy scale field piece, say something modeled on a Parrot gun on a suitable carriage?

Hard cast 12ga slug to grip that rifling, pushed around 2000fps.

Ought to hit that rock on the mountain behind the silhouette range there at SV! grin

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
You've got a point, a fellow could "Sleeve" that barrel into any replica profile he chose,......and come up with a handsome scale model,.....the problem is, the damn thing is obviously gonna be WAY to big to shoot off a bench,.......so running it would subtend to crawling around on the ground like an animal.

.....that has no appeal, BDDT.

I've smacked that big rock MANY times over the years, with the 1 3/4, and the 2 1/4" RB guns........It's about 540 yards, wish it were further.

GTC

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You could move the firing point back to the Skeet Range. That would make it further. grin

Or even back to the highway! laugh

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Got a coupla' hours in on the "Beast" this PM. Had to abandon the 12L14 one piece under rib / thimble part, not enough travel in my mill table to get it in one pass.. Carved up a piece of plain old hot rolled for the rib. It's posed next to some INTERESTING "Spent Bullets" here

[Linked Image]

Hot rolled is not very Skookum in terms of "Machinability" (actually, it SUCKS) but this'll do. The "Thimble" is a chunk of 12L Rimfire barrel stock, bored to accept the ramrod, and radiused to lay against the barrel in alignment with the rib.......There's those mysterious "Bullets" again, too.......

[Linked Image]

The Thimble was slotted to mortise onto the Thimble, than they got got a quick and dirty TIG fusion pass. The remaining part of that joint will be flooded with Silver Solder.

[Linked Image]

I'll finish sculpting the thimble in the morning, probably to an Octagon profile, and than soft solder the entire lash-up to the barrel. No more annoying gaps between the rod and barrel to get hung up in thick brush, while stalking and dodging the elusive San Pedro Valley Hippopotamus, and other varmints.

[Linked Image]

Now, .....who's gonna' take a guess at what those 'Bullets" are ?

Best regards,

Greg

Last edited by crossfireoops; 07/27/12.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice work Cross, .45 cal. 230 gr Remington Golden Sabers?

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
nope

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I know, I know, I know!!! grin

Looking good, Greg! I wouldn't worry much about the San Pedro Valley Hippo as much as I would the dreaded Sierra Vista Croc-a-Gator. With a head at each end and no rectum, they are an irritable, smelly, fearsome beast! eek

I'm pretty sure I smelled one while I was visiting, but it could have just been gas after the Pico de Gallo. laugh

Ed

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
nope

Last guess smile surely those aren't the old .458 500 gr. Speer African Grand Slams with their Tungsten cores poking out the bottom of the bullet?

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Nope,.......

they are spent 9 Parabellum hulls, poured full of Bullet alloy, and fired out of some sorta' "375". The rims are HEAVILY engraved, .366 / .376 ", six groove rifling.

Picked em' up below the 100Yd. steel swingers recently,....

Looks like whoever is shooting em' is not being cheap with the powder, either.

Intriguing, but I can't even BEGIN to think what kinda fouling cartridge brass would leave in one's bore.

GTC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ken has told awhile back about Charlie O'Neil using .45 Auto brass filled with lead to make big "wadcutters" to use in his big .475 OKH(.375 H&H with the taper blown out and necked .475")

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Busy, yesterday, friends dropping by, and work in the orchard. Fitted the "composite" under rib / thimble,.....and have figured how to do one of these as a one piece part next time around.

[Linked Image]

Tech Tip......In the absence of "Soldering Talc", welder's soapstone does a fair job.Pictured in use here to "Seal" the downside of the solder joint. That side of the barrel stayed remarkably clean

[Linked Image]

Found an old S. African coin, with a rather Greco Roman looking Buffalo raising hell. It's a bit narrow, and will change it out for something a little bit wider. Looks like the rear sight will probably be a Winchester "BuckHorn" style, as used on their lever guns.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Smilin' here Greg, nice work.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Dan, this is basically a "shakedown Cruise" and "Re-Orientation" in my own shop. As you know, I haven't spent enough time there in recent years,.........it's nice to find stuff I've grabbed on the fly and tossed in corners, and as well to get a feel for what consumables have been, well,.....consumed, and need replacement.

Working this old thunder stick over has been the PERFECT mechanism of getting it all back in gear.

You KNOW what's next on the agenda

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I thought those looked like primers blush but no way in hell I was gonna say that shockedlaugh

Nice Work Cross, hope ya can find some game to align in the sights this fall.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
looking real nice .

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Some more Wood restoration, with no deference to "Invisibility", Rather a stout, workmanlike, and strong REPAIR.

[Linked Image]

The Red Oak chosen is very supple and strong, and good porosity for soaking up the acraglas.
Pretty straightforward approach, ....the strips are laid up like little bricks, individually fitted to the milled recess that removed all the old busted up and baked out Maple. remember, I'm just making a "quilt" to pattern a new blank off of here.

[Linked Image]

"Looks good from the airport",.....that old S. African Coin was discarded as a front sight,....too narrow and "Fine". What I'd though a Buffalo is actually a Wildebest,......the hacked up asymetric remains of the coin now grace the completed Wrist Bolster plate. eek The Allen Head machine screws are now recessed into the bolster, and some quick "aging" has been thrown at it, as well.

[Linked Image]

Wider front sights don't come cheap,......I've had this coin around since I was a very young man,.....a time when it would get you a decent meal, properly laid, and leave enough for a three day hangover. 1963 Mexican 100 Peso.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by crossfireoops; 07/30/12.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Very nice, and also nice job on positioning that trigger guard with trigger itself towards the rear of the guard.

Wish I had that level of talent and patience. wink,and me and that 100 peso coin hit the dirt in the same year. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
C
C
this fellow will make you exactly what you need. i got an 8 ga and a 6 ga mold from him. he ships extremely fast, and you pay him to his usa account..

http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/

and this is his email i think

<jeffjt-bullet-moulds.co.uk>;

that will be fun!!
good luck.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks, cable, I appreciate the lead.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dan, this is basically a "shakedown Cruise" and "Re-Orientation" in my own shop. As you know, I haven't spent enough time there in recent years,.........it's nice to find stuff I've grabbed on the fly and tossed in corners, and as well to get a feel for what consumables have been, well,.....consumed, and need replacement.

Working this old thunder stick over has been the PERFECT mechanism of getting it all back in gear.

You KNOW what's next on the agenda

Indeed. Will be contacting the Casey in about 2 weeks.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I will certify on my honor that my lips went numb; the lower lip more so. I think it was because the blast lifted them "up and out". Maybe I had my mouth open. It was a unique experience. The lower lip especially felt (or should I say unfelt) like they were nearly frozen. I had that happen once at the top of a mountain above the Schoharie Creek near Liberty, New York once. When my frozen lips tawed out, they felt just like the after effect of firing that 8 bore. Next time I'll keep my mouth shut for sure.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CoupdeGrace
Next time I'll keep my mouth shut for sure.

Famous last words! laugh

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I will certify on my honor that my lips went numb; the lower lip more so. I think it was because the blast lifted them "up and out". Maybe I had my mouth open. It was a unique experience. The lower lip especially felt (or should I say unfelt) like they were nearly frozen. I had that happen once at the top of a mountain above the Schoharie Creek near Liberty, New York once. When my frozen lips tawed out, they felt just like the after effect of firing that 8 bore. Next time I'll keep my mouth shut for sure.

Well, like I said,.....that was the SAME 250 gr charge of "Rusty Elephant" that I was shooting,.......I did TAMP it a bit harder than the others,.....but you saw me loading the thing, they were ALL stepped on pretty hard.

Like dancing the Polka with a Fat Lady, once she gets moving, ya' gotta' hang on.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
There's a great thread running about frozen / seized nipples, and freeing them up for replacement. Knowing that this particular project gun was about the worse possible example one was going to find, I recorded what I did today. This thing was rusted just about solid, I mean YEARS of rust.

[Linked Image]

No flame (pun intended) towards the other thread, but a propane torch is just to "SOFT" to do much more than heat up the entire mass, ....and slowly, at that. What one wants is LOTS of heat, focused FAST, and on a SMALL area. While one can get GREAT results with a small Oxy-Acetylene bud, The method I used here is probably the BEST "Never sweat" approach I know. I've set up a wind break, and using the TIG Torch, commence to bulding up a blob of weld on the recalcitrant nipple,...nothing fancy, just HOT

[Linked Image]

The idea is to take the siezed part (nipple) over it's "Critical" temperature, and in so doing EXPAND it, withing it's recess. Again, LOTS of tightly focused heat is run up that part, and into it's concealed threaded shank.

[Linked Image]

The torch was put away, and the whole piece allowed to cool a bit. The nipple was than screwed out with a small pair of Vice Grips,.....no appreciable force required.

[Linked Image]

The bolster was spritzed with a little Lube Guard, and, as well, required minimal force to spool out of it's lair

[Linked Image]

Barrel and breech plug threads have been chased, and a new bolster generated, ready to re-assemble.

[Linked Image]

I've pulled an AWFUL lot of "Hopelessly Seized" fasteners over the years, using this method, some all packed full of busted easy outs, and twisted off drill bits. IT WORKS.

Last edited by crossfireoops; 08/11/12.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I gots to find me one of them TIG torches. Marvelous tool...loosening tight nipples (always a good thing) and making politicians honest across the land (even better).

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
At this point I'll "fore swear" hooking up my Miller Dynasty DX 300 to politician's .

That being entirely based on today's current events.

..............as far as doing the BEST work with small pieces, parts, and ABSOLUTE demand for success,....

TIG RULES .

"Forge" that.

GTC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
does it affect the barrel any when you apply the heat to the nipple and bolster area?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Probably you should make sure the barrel is not loaded. Just a guess on my part. whistle

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Probably you should make sure the barrel is not loaded. Just a guess on my part. whistle
true. i was referring to any type damage to the outside or inside with that much heat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice tutorial....

Is that rear sight set a wee far back..? Never seen one all the way back by the breech plug.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
does it affect the barrel any when you apply the heat to the nipple and bolster area?

Not in my experience. In point of fact,the "Heat" is VERY localized, and the adjacent mass doies not really get all that hot.

In Arizona's Summer clime,I've had my Badger barrel on my Sharps hot enough (in silhouette matches) that the varnish on the forend was smoking. ML barrels do not get that hot during the process discussed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Nice tutorial....

Is that rear sight set a wee far back..? Never seen one all the way back by the breech plug.

A bit of an "Experiment",....this, since the last photo was taken, that rear sight has been opened up,.....BIG TIME. It now resembles a set of Cape Buffalo / Mbogo horns, and everyone that's thrown it up for a squint says the set up is FAST.

The front sight is VERY wide, and very BRIGHT (when polished).
Remember, the whole thrust of this stunt is "Minute of Hippo at 40 Feet"(or anything ELSE feeling stupid, aggressive, formidable, and outside of the laws of Physics),.......given that we were knocking down NRA Rams at 100 Yards with NO sights at all,......I think this is worth playing with a bit.
I doubt I'll be mounting an MVA or a Baldwin on this old wreck.

Next stunt,......"Honing a somewhat Rusty Bore"

That'll work , too, and I'm willing to bet will yield a "softer shooting" arm.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Nice tutorial....

Didn't mean to jam out,.....been fencing all day, and my stomach thought my throat was cut.

This, to me is perhaps a NICE alternative to a "Ghost Ring" setup, and as noted previous is FAST. Some more work with a fresh chainsaw file is in order,.....to get the geometry dead nuts, I reckon

[Linked Image]

Anybody that thinks a small Cape Buffalo "Face" carved out of iron, and grafted in facing forward, below the "Notch" won't look like a million bucks hasn't read enough Bob Ruark. grin The "elevator style" setup is admittedly fragile, compared to a folding leaf Express sight.
Sorry, building a set of good folding leaf sights is some time that WON'T get invested in this piece, until there's riflings in the barrel.There are three VERY clear planes of elevation quickly available with this setup. No reason , once the initial "Load development" is handled, not to just solder in the wedge, ......is there ?

[Linked Image]

.....now where can I get a little "Buffalo Face" about the size of a split pea ?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now that has great potential for snap shooting a covey rise of hogs. Nice open sight that could serve well close up with 4 oz of #3 buck over a cart fulla powder.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I am NOT going to kvetch, pizz, or moan about the WET weather. Yup, the "bugs" are having a ball, West Nile bearing Mosquitos, Gnats that lodge in yer' ears, and a virtual ERUPTION of big, pizzed off carpenter ants (Gracie got nailed pretty bad by em' while napping this afternoon)

Looked like about the right time to burn out some large Mesquite stumps that are in the new work area, Paddock, and Orchard.

The resultant "smudge" put the run on the flying ones,....and some rather stale gas ([bleep]' Ethanol crap) put paid to "Them".

There's some heavy duty high tech precision underway here, in the smudge, this evening.

[Linked Image]

An elaborate "Honing System" has been brought in, at great expense....

[Linked Image]

Funny,.....I had the opportunity to display and photo the crap that was being collected in that cup,......a mixture of iron oxides, old BP fouling, and that American Icon,....WD 40. I don't usually allow that stuff ANYWHERE near a firearm,.....or petroleum of any ilk near BP arms in general. So, at the termination of this evening's stunt, I sprayed 1/2 a can of "Carb and Choke Cleaner" through the visibly improved wrought iron barrel. Suffice it to say the cup of muddy brown sludge obviously needed to be properly disposed of,.... whistle
....there was a fire immediately adjacent wink
.......no photographer, to record a truly "Hold My beer and watch this" moment. eek laugh cool

Good stuff, the fireball looked like something filmed in Bagdad, circa GW 1 . I DID here a somewhat distant neighbor yelling in astonishment, but they're by and large used to hearing and seeing astonishing events over here. All is good.

Back to the high tech discussion

[Linked Image]

This old gun is gonna' shoot a LOT softer, with the bore cleaned up,......that much is EASY to figure.

Hell, we're only 50 grains offa' Gunner's 300 charge, as it was.

Night all,

GTC

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I (and I think I speak for all who know her) hope that Gracie makes a full and speedy recovery from those nasty, snapping, unforgiving, ground-borne vermin who know no mercy when they fall upon a poor sleeping dog-princess like Gracie.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Cross you coulda used one of these rotary chimney sweepers to get the fouling out of that tunnel.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We'll have to do one of these "1/2 WD40, 1/2 Carb and Choke Cleaner Fireballs" at the next rondy,......

Standing well back, the tosser in full welding gear, of course.

They were roping, off to the South last night, and saw the damn thing epupt ......WAY higher than the shop roof.

Good clean fun, that.

GTC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
coming along nice.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Cross you coulda used one of these rotary chimney sweepers to get the fouling out of that tunnel.

[Linked Image]

Ha !
I'm poking away at it,.....
Actually, by the time the stones are gone (which won't be too long now), the bore's gonna look pretty fair.

I'm going to expand the adjustable reamer I've been using as a bore gauge, and see just how much material I've actually taken out,.....It was a tight gliding fit (measured .873"),....and is now has a pretty good rattle.

We'll see, ....... Mike don't lie.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 08/23/12.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

So is that a cylinder hone.? Is the barrel a smooth-bore..?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yes.

GTC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I almost didn't recognize the shop without it being filled with bbq-chompin', beverage swillin', fireside sittin', fib tellin' type folks... grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You know you've reached the "Big Bore" threshold when you clean up your barrel with a cylinder hone.... eek

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image]

If it wasn't before, it sure is now! laugh

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
I almost didn't recognize the shop without it being filled with bbq-chompin', beverage swillin', fireside sittin', fib tellin' type folks... grin

I'll own up to liking that shop better when it's redolent with the smells of Kent's and Your cooking,and a regular campfire versus a mesquite stump smudge, and WD40, Old Timer. grin

Hell, it's a pretty fine lurk any time !

GTC

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nice to see the project progress!
This thread reminded me of Ed Hubel's "12 gauge from hell" thread in the Big Bore Only page! cool

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Hell, it's a pretty fine lurk any time !

GTC

I'll second that, amigo! Just sitting outside with a cold one, listening to your resident birds and watching Gracie hunt gophers while we discuss life's conundrums & all things BPCR was a real treat!

Sitting here in a hotel room in a big city just cannot compare, no matter how fancy it is...

Gotta do that again sometime soon.

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colodog
Nice to see the project progress!
This thread reminded me of Ed Hubel's "12 gauge from hell" thread in the Big Bore Only page! cool

i was thinking the same.....both way cool threads

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
[Linked Image]

If it wasn't before, it sure is now! laugh

Ed

Can't go to the races if she ain't stroked and bored ya know. Beach Boys said so.

I am..........disturbed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Finally got around to downloading pics from my visit to Greg's and his work on the 8 Bore.

Check out the craftsmanship on that trigger! The pics do not do justice to his skills!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
After turning the ramrod tip from a piece of barrel cut-off, Greg shaped it on the lathe, then milled a cutout so it would lay against the underside of the barrel.

[Linked Image]
Don't mess with Greg when he's in "The Zone"! grin

[img]http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa442/Knife1boy/Gregtestfiringthe8Boreforthefirsttime.jpg[/img]

Obviously, Greg survived the encounter. I just wish I could find the pics showing how the slug blew through about six inches of dried oak and whistled off into the sunset. grin

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 10/04/12.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice shop Cross. smile

And I can tell ya a bit about those 850 gr blue whistlers Ed, I shot a basket racked 10 point at 25 yards, perfectly broadside, the ball bowled him over and at the conclusion of the first wave of BOOOOMMMMMM................I heard ka wap wap wop wap wop badattt, that was that round ball knocking chunks outta wrist sized pine saplings on it's way out across the clearcut. shocked

Amazing I tell ya. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm hoping you hit him BEHIND the shoulder! laugh

Can you imagine an African settler whacking a DikDik with an 8 Bore? grin

Ed

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I'm hoping you hit him BEHIND the shoulder! laugh

Can you imagine an African settler whacking a DikDik with an 8 Bore? grin

Ed

LOL Ed, I hit him precisely behind the shoulder, took him to the butcher to let him cool-hang for 10 days, on the 11th day I got a weird call from Butcher.

He said, "what in hells [bleep] did ya kill that deer with? did ya run a damn rock bar through him or something"

I LMAO and told him about the 8-Bore, he stated in 45 years of butchering all kinds of BG animals he had NEVER seen a clean cut hole that big. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
how's the shoulder? grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Fine shape, the 300 gr charge of black powder produces 189 ft. lbs. free recoil, but the 400 gr charge with the 850 gr round ball delivered to ya via a steel butt in a 10 pound rifle is off tha charts. cry

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Been busy here on a myriad of other jobs, an antique revolver collector tracked me down, and a steady stream of classic colts and S&W have been flowing across the bench. LOTS of projects out at the range, too. Spent part of yesterday studying a PAT trap machine, and will be firing the old sucker up next Thurs. It's in on the new facility where ya' helped me hang that gate, Ed.

Had the beast out for a spin,Sunday last,......since honing the barrel it's shooting WAY softer, so I wound up going to 375 Gr charge weight (that's 3 Norma .45 basic cases full) Behind those 840 slugs.

[Linked Image]

ChesterPulley got these pics ,.....I,ve tossed the "P Pad" back into the gear bag, it makes a good solid hold difficult and awkward,.......with that big wide butt plate, it's hardly needed anyway.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by crossfireoops; 10/05/12.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That's great, Greg.

Where's the tang sight? grin

Or are you just going to use the sights from a Parrott ? laugh

Ed

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Or are you just going to use the sights from a Parrott ?

I took that to mean the sights from a Parrott Gun, right Ed?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Or are you just going to use the sights from a Parrott ?

I took that to mean the sights from a Parrott Gun, right Ed?

That's correct, sir! That 8 Bore is a piece of artillery bordering on crew-served! grin

Welcome to the 'Fire!

Ed

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hell yeah Cross, wink yers kicks about 6"s of ramrod outta the end jus like mine. smile

And it's gotta be mucho cool working on those old six-shooters, I do admire you gents with the patience and skill for weapons building/repair.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Helluva a trail walked here! Good on ya Greg!

D

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Been ponderin' this from a safe distance...watched a fella shooting a 40+# Perry slug rifle a couple years back. .56 caliber using a 900 grain conical with 200 grains of Swiss 1.5 Fg. Smacked him pretty good and the earth shook a little. The 8 bore needs a carriage...in my chickenchitt opinion... laugh

I am..........disturbed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It's really not that bad, Dan...just a shove, doncha know. Greg's just faking the muzzle rise. grin

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, uh huh baby....you betcha...

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Dan, The next series of photos will be of your 25 lb Leonard, "Big George" gettin' stripped down, internal (invisible) stock repair / reinforcement, fitment of the rejuvenated lock, and THAN,....the generation of alla' the tools, accessories, rear sight needed to get it back onto the firing line.

I'm chasing some largish dia. sticks of Brass / Bronze at this time for the False Muzzle, Ball starter setup, and will use some of same for The 8 Bore's Ball mold project.

Any word on how the Benevolent Wizard's makin' out with the lock?

Greg

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
25 LB Leonard? please explain, is it a heavy BP target rifle of some kind Cross?

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yes,....

Dan can get you up to speed

Buffalo League match today, gotta' dash

later,

GTC

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
RAH-JAH, good shooting.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
watched a fella shooting a 40+# Perry slug rifle a couple years back. .56 caliber using a 900 grain conical with 200 grains of Swiss 1.5 Fg. Smacked him pretty good and the earth shook a little.

A long time ago, when I was new to muzzleloading, I cleaned my .54 Hawkins, and decided that a good way to make sure it was dry inside was to burn some powder. So... I poured in some powder (did not measure) and tamped in a piece of paper towel. Nothing else, and fired it off. wife came out of the house and asked "what the hell was that?" In a little bit a neighbor that lives about a half mile away, came down and wanted to know what blew up. It did not sound that loud to me. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Haven't heard from him Greg, my guess is 3-4 weeks from arrival at his place.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
25 LB Leonard? please explain, is it a heavy BP target rifle of some kind Cross?

Gunner

That it is Gunner. Round ball bench gun of .54 caliber made by George Leonard. It had some character flaws when it first came up on the radar...missing tools, missing rear sight, some mechanicals. The barrel is good and it's a fair bit of handsome work that Leonard did putting it together. I'll wait for Cross to put up a few pics and we can chat about it. The lock is being reworked up in Wyoming by an fine gun crank named Casey.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DigitalDan; 10/07/12.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Very Nice DD, that would be a sheer pleasure to get completed and up and running, looking forward to following the repair and range reports.

And maybe a hunt report were yourself and Cross ta build ya a nice carriage for it. shocked LOL

Gunner

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 153, 160user, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 2,855 guests, and 1,434 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,974
Posts18,480,751
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.