Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Is the old "Spire Point" still being made in 55 & 60 gr wts? I'm not seeing it for sale anywhere.

Hornady sells a bullet in these weights called "SP" at about what I recall as the same price range the "Spire Point" sold for but the box says it's a varmint bullet with, "explosive expansion even at low velocities".

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess I haven't bought any for awhile but had great luck on deer with the old 55gr. Spire Point with cannelure.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Is the old "Spire Point" still being made in 55 & 60 gr wts? I'm not seeing it for sale anywhere.

Hornady sells a bullet in these weights called "SP" at about what I recall as the same price range the "Spire Point" sold for but the box says it's a varmint bullet with, "explosive expansion even at low velocities".

Same bullets.

The SPSX are explosive as a mofo though.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I used a lot of SX bullets in a 1 in 14 Ruger with great success, but when I tried them in a fast twist they did not reach the target. A puff of gray smoke trailing downrange. The Hornady lead bullets still have the spire point design.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Both of these bullets are very accurate. The 55's are the toughest of the 55g bullets that I have shot, and extremely accurate.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Are the spire points the soft points with the cannelure they sell in bulk? I'm having a hell of a time getting them to shoot out of my new AR. My bushmaster carbine loves them but not this new one.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Send all those ones that dont shoot to me...I'll be a good bud and dispose of them for you... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So Ingwe,

I am boxing up all of my bullets that didn't shoot well and am going to be sending them to you...at least all the ones I could find in the sand and trees behind where the target was...

hope you enjoy them and can put them to good use! grin

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Send all those ones that dont shoot to me...I'll be a good bud and dispose of them for you... whistle

That's mighty white of you. It doesn't answer my question though. wink

For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bbassi
Are the spire points the soft points with the cannelure they sell in bulk?

Yes.

Question answered.

Now send me all you've got! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I love those 55gr with cannelure.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
My shooting buddy buys them for use in his AR shorty, so far, I've not been too impressed with their accuracy, but he's happy. Still, even in his boltgun, they don't shoot all that well compared to the "premium" bullets. His big AR, a RRA Varminter, is an 8" twist gun, and it won't shoot them either.

He buys them bulk from Midsouth, at prices that beat even their Varmint Nightmare slugs. I can see why........

But I won't disparage the users of such bullets, they might work fine in THEIR rifles........

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They're the most accurate bullet I've found in my Ruger Target Rifle in 220 Swift.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
ratsmacker- I buy and shoot them by the thousands...out of bolt guns. Very acceptable accuracy out of all of them. I will admit the things like Vmaxes shoot better, ever so slightly, but not enough to justify double the price of the bulk bullets....Im getting easy M.O.G. ( Minute of Gopher) so have been happy with them
But I hear what you are saying...some rifles just plain don't like some bullets...and no rhyme or reason to it...seen identical models more than once where one would shoot a given bullet, and the other wouldnt...

Last edited by ingwe; 07/07/12.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
My shooting buddy buys them for use in his AR shorty, so far, I've not been too impressed with their accuracy, but he's happy. Still, even in his boltgun, they don't shoot all that well compared to the "premium" bullets. His big AR, a RRA Varminter, is an 8" twist gun, and it won't shoot them either.

He buys them bulk from Midsouth, at prices that beat even their Varmint Nightmare slugs. I can see why........

But I won't disparage the users of such bullets, they might work fine in THEIR rifles........

I don't have a .22 centerfire that won't bug hole them. I use them in my AR the most and they will hold MOA to the 3 with ease.

Travis

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by bbassi
Are the spire points the soft points with the cannelure they sell in bulk?

Yes.

Question answered.

Now send me all you've got! grin

Sorry, I only have about 2500 left, and my 223's are hungry little bastids. I did see Precision Reloading has them for $85/1000. I think I paid $90 a couple years ago.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's the wonderful thing about them, they're a great bullet and cheap to boot.

`Bring Enough Gun`
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Travis, what powder are you using in the ARs? I've tried 4895 and 335 so far and haven't been able to find the right combo yet. best I can do is about 1 1/4 off the bench.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bb
Try TAC.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for TAC.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

160 members (10gaugemag, 44mc, 2500HD, 35, 15 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 989 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,588
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.