-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those 405s look like they could be a little slick, under certain conditions. Your experience?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brother Dave
Those 405s look like they could be a little slick, under certain conditions. Your experience?

That has not been a problem yet. The soles are typical oil resistant work boot versions. Alden also offers models with Vibram soles. The best part is the Trubalance last.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks. Do you find it true they run a half size large?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Take your pick...many fine boots out there. Just make sure you break them in Before you go. I did mine in SD hunting pheasant!

I bought a pair of Courteney boots quite a few years ago. (They're stamped "3 02" on the heel label, so I'm assuming I've had them for about ten years.) When I purchased these through the Wesley Richards Company, I believed they were the "Selous" model and they arrived with the accessory kit as advertised. I've been wearing them seriously in preparation for my upcoming trip to Tanzania and they are very comfortable, but look very different from the Courteney Selous boot currently advertised. Has the design changed that much or did I receive something else? These have held up quite well, but I'm wondering if got the "real deal"?

Edited to add: When I bought these boots, I seem to recall that they were available in elephant, hippo or buffalo hide. These ones are buffalo.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Pulicords; 07/09/12.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am quite sure you will never buy another pair (which can be said about several previously mentioned):

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/boots_safari/boots_safari.html

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

At least. I bought a pair of Alden 405s online, so I was taking a chance. I wear 9.5 or 10, so I bought 9.5. I think 9s would also fit, maybe even better.

They are hard to find in local shoe stores -- especially here. laugh

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Well first, Africa is a big place with lots of different terrain. My recommendations are for flatland as you find in Selous.

Second, foot fit is most important.

If you will be hiking in riverbeds or in similar soft sand, look for a flatter sole -- deep heel rise makes you dig in and wastes energy.

On a high-quality leather boot, I do not see the value in Gore-Tex - the leather keeps the water out. On a fabric shoe, Gore can help.

Try the Superfeet inserts (perhaps Green) - loved from Alaska to Africa.

I recommend ankle high and use the small gaiters like Texas Hunt Co sell.

I like Smartwool socks with a thin liner sock. While it is sometimes hot and dry, it can also rain cats and dogs for the bulk of a 10 mile buffalo stalk - you never know.

Don't leave your boots outside your tent at night - the Hyenas will collect them. And take an extra pair (boots, not Hyenas). Wear your good ones on the plane in case the airlines lose your luggage.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
And to be more specific, I tried Russell PH, several of the Courteney styles, and none of them fit. I wish they had - nice boots!

I test them on a treadmill at home and return them clean and dry if they don't feel good for 5-10 miles with the socks I will wear and with a 15 lb load on my back (simulate rifle, bino, ammo and other gear weight).

I ended us with Merrell Refugee because:
1. They fit!
2. Pretty much a flat sole for soft sand
3. Leather sides (thorn protection)
4. Sole had pretty good feel of the ground
5. Lugs not too aggressive

My PH looked at them and said "Those look good!" He wore Courtney's.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/20495M/0/Mens/Refuge-Core-Mid-Waterproof

BUT - Also took a pair of older Vasque lite hiking boots with ankle-high coverage.

Ended up wearing the Vasque more - not sure why, maybe they just provided better overall foot support. I walked probably 8-15 miles per day and my feet seemed to feel better at day's end in the Vasque.

This does NOT mean you should buy Vasque, but that you should have 1-2 pair of lite hiking boots and well broken in - options.

Last edited by 375HH; 07/09/12.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

That's so you'll feel sorry for them and give them your good boots, which they will sell in town and, well, do it again.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Another couple of good points about the Alden 405 Indy boots is the steel shank and the wider space at the ball of the foot and narrow heel (the Trubalance last). Check Alden for the explanation, as they've been making them for decades. You might also want an insole, but that goes a long way in making them comfortable for long periods of time.

Norman Solberg
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For 8 years I used Desert Oryx lightweight boots and swore by them. Then this year they did not have my size so I bought a pair of Courtney's because the Oryx's almost fell apart at the last moment.

I did the unthinkable by breaking them in on a buffalo hunt and was I surprized. No chafing, no blisters just pure walking pleasure for 6 full days. The Courtney Selous boots are from now on my only boots.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My youngest son remarked once on how many different kinds of boots we had for the different hunting we did and conditions we encountered. It made me realize what an investment we had in a lot of boots! Most of my boots are for rugged country and/or cold weather. Some are for very wet conditions. I'm going to the Eastern Cape next May and would really like to use boots that I already have. I'm thinking the Irish Setters by Redwing posted below ought to work for 10 days. They're well broken-in, comfortable, and give reasonable ankle support for this 70-year old. Any comments on my thinking?

[Linked Image]

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks perfect. There's nothing wrong with Redwing. The original wardrobe specs for the Indy Jones movies were for Redwings, but Ford had personal experience with his Alden construction boots and held out for them.

Your soles look not only comfortable but quiet, which is important in stalking. I was surprised at how very alert African game is.

Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
My youngest son remarked once on how many different kinds of boots we had for the different hunting we did and conditions we encountered. It made me realize what an investment we had in a lot of boots! Most of my boots are for rugged country and/or cold weather. Some are for very wet conditions. I'm going to the Eastern Cape next May and would really like to use boots that I already have. I'm thinking the Irish Setters by Redwing posted below ought to work for 10 days. They're well broken-in, comfortable, and give reasonable ankle support for this 70-year old. Any comments on my thinking?

[Linked Image]

Norman Solberg
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm bring these to RSA for my Sept hunt

Cabelas Silent Stalk Sneakers

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The only problem with some sneaker-like tops is grass seeds will work their way through a quarter inch of it. After my first trip, I swore only leather or tough canvas/cordora tops and a gusset tongue. I have used a pair of the Russell PH's on my last three trips and have a pair of selous's which I'll bring next time.

"We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I'm bring these to RSA for my Sept hunt

Cabelas Silent Stalk Sneakers

[Linked Image]

Those are my everyday wear in boots in warm weather. Nothing more comfortable

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Al,

I wore my Irish Setters on a safari in Namibia in 1999. They worked fine there, since the weather is usually relatively cool in that part of the country.

In hotter weather I prefer the traditional African veldskoens, as they're much cooler (especially when made of kudu leather) and still turn away seeds and thorns. It's getting harder to find them anymore, however, since Chinese running shoes have almost taken over the "affordable" shoe market even in Africa.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John you had made comment before about using a pair of converse sneakers. For whatever reason I didn't say it at the time, but - I've used Palladium boots which have about the same qualities mentioned with the added benefit (imo) of a lug sole. No ankle support to speak of. Very much like converse sneakers.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would think air jordans would be the best for africa.

I got hooked on phonics
Guess my IP now fistphuckology!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10 invisible), 1,497 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.