Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 375HH
Originally Posted by pointer
What about a blaze orange BUFF?

Okay! That looks interesting! Have you had a chance to try it yourself yet? My head with a beanie on is bigger than that of the pretty lady! Do you find that it's big or stretchy enough to fit over beanie hats etc?
I've never used one. I can get by with my cheap orange stocking cap + orange baseball cap if I need to wear an orange hat.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
what are the different requirements in the various states. a vest and cap or hat is what we have to wear in tn .

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never worried about the hood of my rain gear not being blaze, and I don't think many game officers would really give you schit about it.

As far as hats, I'm with you in that I am a huge fan of mountaineering gear, but as far as beanies and other cold weather hats go, I see no reason why a blaze orange Under Armour cold gear beanie wouldn't fit the bill. Their fleece hats are really quality items.

375HH Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Okay, I think we have a pretty good solution. It's a tweak on the mention of the Blaze Orange Buff by pointer - thank you!

http://www.buffusa.com/collections/5#79

The buff is a tube of fabric with no seams. It stretches in diameter, but not in length. I tried putting the buff on my head as described by the manufacturer, but it's tight on me and gives me a headache pretty quickly. There is only one size.

But I just need a band of orange, not the whole thing.

In looking at the fabric I noticed that the ends of the tube are just cut - there is no seam or finish on the edge. This suggests that it will not ravel if I cut off a section of the tube.

So I cut about 2 inches off the end of the tube with very sharp, high-quality scissors (Wescott ExtremeEdge Titanium).
http://www.sears.com/westcott-extre...-inch-bent-handle/p-05003282000P?prdNo=3

So I now have what I would describe as a blaze orange fabric rubber band. With the shorter length of fabric tube it does not exert as much compression force, and also stretches more.

I successfully placed it over just my head, and also over several hats: a Sitka ball cap, a Mountain Hardwear ear-flap beanie, a military beanie, etc. Works!

I can see where it could get lost in the brush or high wind, so options I've considered: Take an extra (or two) since they weigh almost nothing, cut the band a bit wider to create more compression grip, or cut several from the one buff and tack-stitch them onto the hats I'm taking on a hunt, being sure to sew in the stretched position, not fully compressed to as to rip the stitch when I put the hat on and off.

I'll test this scouting and see how it goes, but I feel pretty safe in taking several on a hunt given the supremely light weight, and if all but the last band gets lost, I can sew the last one on in the field.

And I'll go with the common wisdom here on not worrying about the hood, but if I get hassled, I can just put it over the hood and be in compliance instantly.

Hope this helps someone - it sure helped me!

Last edited by 375HH; 07/23/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Glad it worked! I need to convince my wife I have some good ideas once in a while... wink

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,649
Posts18,493,382
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.