Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dear WM70,

Damn, I didn't get to the ignore button fast enough.

You got me, I've never even seen a Cape buffalo. So since I came clean, how about you tell all of us exactly how many buffalo you've shot with Nosler Partitions and exactly how the bullets failed. If only personal experience counts, then please provide it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Better yet, please provide all the failures you've experienced with Nosler Partitions on zebra, or other similar-sized plains game, since that was the original point of this thread.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
You are a a real gasbag, mule deer. Your posts are just as much BS as are your articles.

Wow. Just Wow...

We have logcutter to turn to when we need a know-it-all on elk, and we have Maverick 940 to cover everything else but Africa...

Now we have you.....

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
You are a a real gasbag, mule deer. Your posts are just as much BS as are your articles.

Win,
I'd like to recommend some reading for you. Start with �HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE.� (by Dale Carnegie).

PS - I sometimes give Ingwe a tough time about his caliber choices, but he reads people quite well.

Last edited by doubletap; 07/31/12.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
John,
I think I will ignore that guy myself. Your counsel has been more than good over the years....

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, Gary. Good luck on your safari!

John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
mule deer:

I have never used Partitions on Cape Buff because I value my hide too much to do so. I have used A-Frames, Trophy Bonded and Barnes bullets on them, however. I recommend the A-Frame and Barnes (both TSX and solid) for the job. I do not recommend the .416 Trophy Bonded solid as the bullet we dug out of a buff I shot badly riveted, bent and fish tailed. This is from my personal experience.

Since you admit you have never even SEEN a Cape Buff, why don't you go on safari and actually shoot a Cape Buff with your beloved Partition and let us know how it works out? There is still time for you to book a late season hunt. Then you can speak from personal experience instead of babbling on about something you've never done. You appear to base your posts in this area on second hand information, hearsay and sea stories. Authors should be authoritative. This means doing it yourself and then writing about it. Again, I refer you to Craig Boddington who has been there and personally done what he writes about. Craig has a basis for his opinions because he has actually "seen the elephant". If Craig opines what kind of a scope is recommended for sitting in a leopard blind, it is because he has sat in such a blind many times and understands what is required of the scope. Can you speak on that topic from personal experience?

As to "Doctari" Robertson, Kevin is both a veterinarian and fully licensed Zim PH. It takes about four years of study and bush experience, plus written and practical exams to become a Zim PH. He has hunted numerous Cape Buff, as well as other members of the Big Five and he has incorporated his veterinary training and PH experience into his writings. Again, he has been there and done that. When you put him down, compare that to YOUR personal experience in this area, it is almost laughable.

And your PERSONAL experience in taking elephant, lion, rhino and leopard is...? My guess is that it amounts to zilch, zero and none.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I don't have any experience with Partitions on Zebra, etceteras because I don't (and won't) use them for those species. Safaris and trophy fees are too expensive to potentially lose an animal due to poor bullet choice.

I am bringing Partitions on my upcoming leopard hunt because as I've said, I believe that they will perform well on lightly constructed animals such as leopard and impalas shot for bait. I will write about their performance when I return. But my writing will be based on my personal experience, not on sea stories.

BTW, this will be my third leopard hunt. How many leopard hunts have you been on where you were the actual hunter? Pray, please tell us!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Man I thought we had cleaned up the African Forum after we got rid of that idiot MoccassinJoe...

Anyhow, on ol' Doktari Robinson, loved his book and DVD, but sadly he's stuck on fifty year old ballistics and theories of "big and slow" and ANYBODY, ANYBODY that still recommends solids for buffalo, well, from then on I take everything with a grain of salt.
I've never used Partitions on Cape Buffalo, but my understanding is they've move the Partition significantly forward, enhancing penetration. Full disclosure in they would not be my bullet of choice for buffalo, but I would have no qualms about using them.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I was right about one thing, and maybe wrong about another.

Right: Yep. You ARE a douche.

Wrong:( maybe) I sure thought that was a Cape Buffalo European mount JOB has in his living room, and I sure thought Id seen pics and articles of JB with Buffalo he had killed...

Oh, well...I sure nailed the first one at least.

notice; no obligatory smiley...

but I do have this for you...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm pretty sure he saw this one.....

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Ingwe:

By John's admission, he has never even seen a cape buff. So if there is a mount in his living room, he was not the hunter that killed it. Or it is not a cape buff. Ask him.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Jeez Louise, do you ever need to get over yourself!

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This sure looks like Jon....and that sure looks like yet another Cape Buffalo...

Though I could be wrong again...

[Linked Image]

Now do us all a favor and crawl back under your rock...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Naw, that isn't me, and neither is the other photo posted by aheider. They're my stunt double, a guy named Buzz Lightyear. Most gun writers hire stunt doubles to do all their writing and shooting, so the writer can stay home and crank out articles and books. The stunt doubles report on bullet performance, accuracy, scopes, etc. It's a good system, resulting in millions of dollars each year.

Buzz shot the bull in the photo Ingwe posted in Botswana's Okavango Delta about a decade ago, and he says it was one of the first Cape buffalo shot with Nosler's then-new 400-grain .416 Partition. He used a .416 Rigby, and put the bullet into the very rear of the ribcage on the left side at range of 60-70 yards. The bull went about 25 yards before falling, and the bullet was found under the skin of its right shoulder, retaining 83% of its weight, the lighter of the two .416 Partitions Buzz has recovered over the years. (The other, from a water buffalo, retained 95% of its weight.) Oh, and Buzz says he saw around 1000 buffalo in one herd that day! I kinda hope to see something like that someday, but am too busy writing articles and books.

Buzz took the buffalo in the other photo last September in the Selous Game Reserve in Tanzania, also with the .416 Rigby and a 400-grain Partition. The range was about 30-35 yards in thick cover along a dry stream, and Buzz put the bullet in the shoulder, just behind the bones, about a third of the way up the chest. The bull turned and ran with three companions, but the bullet exited the far shoulder, leaving a good blood trail, and Buzz and his PH found the bull very soon, standing but not moving, and Buzz paid the insurance with a couple of solids.

Buzz has provided many excellent reports on bullet performance over the years, including over 100 others on Nosler Partitions shot into big game including elk, moose, caribou, red stag, black bears, and a bunch of African plains game including a very nice eland taken in Namibia, the lucky dog. In fact, on the Tanzanian safari he used 286-grain Nosler Partitions from a 9.3x62 to take several head of plains game. The only one recovered was from a 30" blue wildebeest that was quartering toward him at about 200 yards. The bullet broke the big shoulder joint and was found under the hide at the rear of the ribcage on the opposite side, retaining 74% of its weight. Another was put into the shoulder joint of a zebra at about 80 yards. The bullet exited the middle of the ribs on the other side, then bounced off a rain tree beyond the zebra. Buzz saw the leaves shake when the bullet hit!

But those are all second-hand reports, so don't really count.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
So Mr. Douchebag (aka Winchestermodel 70) am I a failure for killing a Hartman's Zebra with my lowly .30-06 and a 180 grain partition, or is my wife a failure for killing hers with a 150 grain partition in her .270 win? Both one shot kills. If we are failures then please explain how a Zebra rug is now proudly on display in my home?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John,

I'll be devastated if you reveal that Buzz Lightyear also developed the B-29.

Steve

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I can personally vouch for John's stories because on one of the few occasions when he came out from behind the typewriter, he went on a safari to Namibia with me. And he never saw or shot a Cape Buffalo on that one.....my stunt double, a fellow named Brad pitt killed them all....

Had some real sucky performance with 180 Nosler partitions though....they just killed stuff dead and we didn't have to track it or nuthhin'...didn't learn a thing... grin

Last edited by ingwe; 08/01/12.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aheider
I'm pretty sure he saw this one.....

[Linked Image]

Craggy-looking old bastid...

Nice buffalo though. wink

John

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Buzz Lightyear will get you for that..... grin

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 75 invisible), 3,481 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,634
Posts18,533,297
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.