Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have LESS than three months left in exile. Less than three months from getting to shoot 2-3 times a week and hunt the FULL hunting season. Here is what I have in the works right now. What do you guys have going?<P>NOTE: All rifles on Rem 700 actions<P>1. 338 Win with a 26" Apex Gain twist barrel. Barrel is getting lapped, hope to speed up the break in process so I can realize the added 100-150 fps these barrels usually provide. HS stock, Leupold scope.<P>2. 338 Ultra--from my aborted 340 Wby project. If I am going to get kicked harder than my 416 kicks, I want more than 100 fps over 338 Win velocities. 26" Shilen barrel, McMillan stock, Leupold 3.5x10x40 AO.<P>3. 30-06--26" Pac Nor #4 three-groove barrel, Lone Wolf stock, Leupold 3.5x10x40 AO. This is the lighest weight primary rifle I own. Because the stock is so light (1.5 lbs finished), the gun will weigh in under 8 3/4 lbs with the scope and mounts. Rifle by itself is 7.5 lbs--not bad for a gun with a "real" barrel.<P>4. 6mm Rem. 27" Pac-Nor #5 three-groove w/1x8 twist, HS stock, Leupold 4.5x14x50 AO. My varmint gun, will use from 87 grain Hornady V-Maxes to 115 grain Bergers.<P>John Ricks is my rifle builder (starolypen.com). <P>How can I afford all these at once? I can't. The 340 to 338 Ultra project is three years old, the 30-06 project is three years old, the 338 Win GT is a year old. The 6mm is "new," but I got a steal of a deal on a fully accurized 700 long action. Add that to my three-year exile in Japan where I can't hunt or shoot locally, and it's easy to see how one can save enough funds to build rifles. <P>I do not recommend this approach. I would rather have been refining my shooting skills over the last three years. Equipment can be bought--skill can't.<P>Blaine

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Blaine, nothing at all as exotic as your stable of toys, but I am having a stock cut as we speak out of a nice piece of figured walnut for a .375 H&H Pre 64 Model 70 I bought from Critr Gitr. The action is clean but the barrel is a little rough (on the outside only, the bore is pristine), so it will get a heavy polish and drawfile by Spike's gunsmith to clean up the light pitting and a blue job. Just bought a 1 3/4 x 6 E Leupold scope for it. Hope to have it ready for my next trip to Africa to greet Mr. Buffalo if I can swing it in a year or two. Or maybe bear in Alaska if there are any left up there next year. [Linked Image]<BR> Still trying to decide if I want to spend the money to go ahead with the 375 AI project with your barrel now that I have the .375 H&H. Found out that it is a little more complicated than just spinning in the barrel and chambering the unit, so I'll have to give it some thought, but heck, there is always next year!- Sheister<p>[This message has been edited by Sheister (edited May 01, 2001).]

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Blaine- only you would build a 'mountain rifle' with a 26" tube!

Get close, pick a hair, and shish-ka-bob it
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Eric, I full on LOVE 26" barrels for all rifles, including mountain rifles. Barrel length is cheap velocity [Linked Image]. Blaine, I have been wringing out a new .25-284 that Big Sticks smith put together for me. I finally got it shooting to my satisfaction (it has been a picky sucker). It is a 700 short action BDL, 26" #3 Douglas pipe and an HS Precision stock. I have 75 grain Vmax bullets doing 3,700 fps and they will shoot unde 1/2" 5 shot groups. I have 100 grain Hornady spire points doing 3,400 fps and hovering right at 1/2" at 100 yards. The rifle quit fouling at 75 rounds and is a dream to shoot. I am impatiently waiting for rings to come in so I can shoot a new Sako TRG-S 7mm magnum. So, I guess it is time for another project for me. I just can't decide what to build. There are SO many choices out there now, especially with a buddy like Big Stick. He has ruined me [Linked Image].Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gee fellers, I feel like Little Orphan Annie. After looking high and low and sideways for a lot of decades I finally found a neet little Remington M1902 Rolling Block carbine in 7m/m. It has a decent bore and wonder of wonders the headspace is ok. Most of them aren't. Now I got to find out how this little feller likes lead bullets and gentle powders.<BR>May start looking for a 43 Spanish again.<BR>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I am planning to do NOTHING. I am NOT going to build a .25-35 Marlin. I am NOT going to do a sporter weight, tack driving .223. I am NOT going to .... I am NOT going to.... I am NOT GOING to..... Darn it. I lost my therapist's number. E.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What I'd like to do is build a wildcat levergun round. "Just because", is my excuse.<BR>I suppose I want it based on a shortened 45-90 case(the 45-70 is too short), cut to 444 Marlin length, improved for a levergun's relibility, necked to 358 diameter, and done in a re-chambered Marlin 35 Remington, for less cost. sounds interesting, even if it already has been done before. <BR>Several simular wildcats that I have found thus far...<BR>1) 35 Maine Guide... on the 38-55 case.<BR>2) 35 Lever Power... based on the 444 Marlin case(not the 358 JDJ)<BR>3) 35 Greavy Express... on the 45-70 case<BR>4) a 35 (name unknown) based on the 348 case<P>The 35 Greavy Express and the 35 based on the 444 Marlin cases, are said to come close to the 35 Whelen, so I figure one based on the 45-90 case(cut to 444 length) would do about the same, and it holds more powder as well. Very interesting. Ken Howel is going to help me with this project, so it may become a reality.<BR>If anyone has any further knowledge, experiences, or otherwise, about these types levergun wildcats, leave me a note, I'm interested. ~~~Suluuq<p>[This message has been edited by Rusty-Gunn (edited May 02, 2001).]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm planning on getting a 416Howell built (thanks to 458Lott). I'm also looking into buying a used 45/70 (1895SS) this summer and turning it into WWG and having a 50alaskan built. The wife gave a go ahead but we will see how the money situation is for the 50alaskan.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
hey Blaine, good tohear you are getting "short" for Japan ( can an American really be shorter than a japanese? ha.)<BR> I finaly got my 404 Jeferey sighted in with irons, and put in way in the back of the safe! I even had to havea brake put on my new 7 STW, I guess my neck is not quite up to snuff. This allows me more time with my smaller stuff. I am still shooting my 6/284 built on a Model 7 SS, 26" Midway barrel, shoots those 75 Vmax under .5 , and my little 6x47 on a model 700 short action, Lone wolf "MAXX" summit blank, 26" Shilen #2 1/10 twist is almost ready.<BR> I had used and left my 220 Swift ( also built on a model 7) in Texas this past January. I'm going down for a few days to see my Mom, but FIRST swing by and see if I can't beat my present Axis buck! I will use the Swift again, with the 55 grain Trophy Bonded, but my associate will be there with my old 6.5/284 and 125 Partitions if he is "out there" a piece.<BR> Pistols revolvers/ breaking in a new Glock 36, Kimber Classic CDP,taking an Advanced Pistol course in July. I have my 44 Blackhawk set up with my favorite handload of 240 SWC, but the Garrett 310's shoot to same zero ( just a handful is all!) My 38 Special Ruger is set up with a favorite handload, so I am "there", unless the 7 STW will not setle down...then the new 300 WSM is statring to look good to me! Good luck, Jim

James P. Knight
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Blaine, as I have posted under the "How good...6.mm Class". I am going to either use the 6.5mm Rem Mag Action and build the 6.5-300WSM or build the 6.5-06. <P>My good friend is a FFL dealer and can swing excellent prices on actions. If I go the 06 route, I am considering the modified Mauser CZ 550 action, also under consideration is Rem 700 or Sako 75. The barrel is most likley going to be Shilen. They offer great advice, do fine work, have fast turn around time, and tailor the lands to your loading specs. I will have them dial in a 2.75-3 lbs trigger. <P>Stock wise, I have a traditional soft spot. I have a picture of a custom shop Winchester Ultimate Classic Stainless. The stock is a fine cut of walnut w/American Classic features w/satin finish. With the stainless action and barrel it has a real nice appeal to me. This is what I am patterning the looks of my new meat stick on. There are many after market classic american walnut stocks to choose from in these actions. A nice glassed action and floated barrel should have me on target and ready for the field. Take Care ~rossi~

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have a few small and very low-budget projects in mind to keep myself busy during my current, hopefully temporary bout with poverty. First, there's dumpster divin', tee-hee ..... OK, it's not quite that bad. [Linked Image]<P>I'm very pleased to have a new old rifle to tinker with ... a commercial Mauser, type "B", lightweight sporter in 8x57mm. It is a kissing cousin to my BRNO 7x57mm. Some of you may already know how I dote on these old-timers. Actually, I never "doted" on much of anything 'til I started following the threads by brother Big Stick, [Linked Image] but I find myself doting more and more, lately. Anyway, this old gitter has a 23 1/2" barrel, double set triggers, and a micro-adjustable Redfield receiver sight. (I dote on receiver sights, too.) I've never handloaded for the 8x57mm before, so this should be all kinds of fun. Any advice or input is very much welcomed, btw. <P>I also plan to spiffy-up an old .30 cal. M-1 Carbine .... lengthen the original military stock and either refinish it or try my hand at applying an interesting camo paint job. I don't plan to go overboard on it, but the poor thing sure could use some lovin'! Ugly as it is now, the kids love to plink with it.<P>And finally, I'm going to see if I can make a knife .... even if I have to do it all with just a file and sandpaper. Got the knife fever pretty bad ... but good machine tools don't fit under the current fiscal plan. [Linked Image] LC<P>

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blaine, -- I have Christmas and an Easter egg hunt a couple times a month at the gun shows. I find rifles built just the way I want them for a fraction of the price of building. If they preform, great, if they don't to my satisfaction, I trade them off, few meet all the qualifications for my personal collection which I am selling down this year. Some of my favorites look like dogs but shoot with the best of them when it comes to hunting. Rifles are like pretty women, many are fickle but nice to look at, some are not so pretty but can be counted on to be there when you need them. I have several short. light, fast, deadly rifles that are great for hunting but leave something to be desired to show or target shoot. Hunting is my game, not trying to impress anyone with my working tools. To put a rifle in a saddle scabbard and head to the wilderness is a feeling like no other, without having to worry about scratching your pretty high dollar rifle. Please don't misunderstand, I have some of those but they never leave home and are among the ones I am selling off. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sonnie... what sort of leverguns, if any, are you contemplating selling? You can e-mail at rusty_gunn_99752yahoo.com ~~~Suluuq

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sheister,<P>I think one should always have a 375 H&H in a battery of larger bore rifles, just like we should all have a 30-06 in our battery of small rifles. If fact, if I were doing it again, I'd start with a 30-06, then go to the 375 H&H. Of course, I like my 416 very much, and you could argue I don't even need the 375. Then again, when is it ever about need?<P>Eric,<P>As long as you promise to keep it a secret, I'll tell you I do have a couple rifles with barrels under 26."<P>Flinch,<P>I thought Big Stick's rifles would ONLY shoot Barnes XLC bullets. You haven't told him about the Hornadys have you? Your 25-284 sound'e like a keeper. I still can't believe you got rid of your 27" barreled 30-06, even if it was a M-70. BTW, are you going to try anything larger, like a 338-06? A Magnaported 338-06 would be mild in recoil and not overly loud (like a braked rifle). <P>BCR,<P>Is that Rolling Block in 7x57? Do you have any pressure limits be careful of?<P>E,<P>Is the 25-35 Marlin the same as the 25-35 Win?<P>Rusty Gun,<P>What about a 35/284 in a Model 99?<P>Joel,<P>Is the 416 Howell based on the 30-06 case? What kind of performance does it provide? have you bruised youself with your Lott yet?<P>Jim,<P>I am "looking up" at even the Japanese kids right now! How do you like your Lone Wolf stock? I haven't seen mine yet. When will you be in Texas?<P>Rossi,<P>The 6.5 WSM sounds intersting. It ought to equal 264 Win Mag performance, but be easier on barrels. In the latest issue of Precision Shooting, they started talking about the 300 WSM as a 1000 yd round.<BR>Of course, you KNOW you'll have to blue that stainless barrel if it's to go in a walnut stock.............<P>Loud Cloud,<P>What year was your commercial Mauser made? Also, there is a guy who reworks 30 carbines--made one into a 50 AE I think. That would be interesting.<P>Sonnie,<P>You are going to ruin me financially when I get to Texas. The SA Gunshow is usually a good one, but I have just almost convinced myself I don't need anything other than donor rifles. If I hang around you too much, I'll be buying EVERYTHING!<P>Blaine<BR>

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Blaine,<P>I haven't yet nailed down the year of manufacture for my Mauser, maybe you or someone else here has access to that info.? <P> The serial # is 81xx . It is an 8x57JS and from obvious features, it appears to have been made sometime between WWI and WWII.<P>(The pistol grip is checkered and capped, not round; no cheek piece; slim, uncheckered forearm without schnabel tip; the magazine floorplate is not hinged, but is removable via button release; the action, floorplate and trigger guard are conservatively engraved; 3-leaf rear sight & ramp front, although rear is now blanked; there is no visible factory emblem or marking such as "Mauser-Werke A.-G." or "Waffenfabrik Mauser A.-G." Whatever may have been on the top of the receiver ring has been very carefully matted out.) <P>Any input here would be interesting to me and much appreciated. LC<BR>

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I want to build a stand. One of those climbing models that leans against a tree.<P>------------------<BR>Keep yer powder dry,and yer knife sharp.

Keep yer powder dry,and yer knife sharp.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Well, I decided to try and do a decent bedding job myself on my Winchester 70 .300 mag, ordered a glass bedding kit from Brownells, and some Carnuba Wax to rub the stock down. I am putting a Shilen trigger in my Remington 700VS .22-250, and I hope to start building a .308 on a Remington action, Shilen trigger, and a HS Precision stock. Not sure if I will keep stock barrel to start with or put on a Shilen or Pac-Nor or someother barrel right away. Decisions decisions, as it will be a deer rifle.

Work Hard, Play Hard, Die Hard!
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Hey Blaine,<BR> I will be in Texas on the eve of Mothers Day. I am swinging by Leakey for two days to shoot a bigger Axis buck than I have. I will then see my folks,Houston area, come home that Friday. You just have to hunt Axis at least once in your life in the summer months! I will have a tough time not shooting another Blackbuck,(I have three now)but man are they beautiful, and this ranch is loaded with them!<BR> I don't have the finished rifle yet, but the Lone Wolf stock is very light, trim, just has an ugly color. I guess I will call it my fault, I tried to explain what I wanted, should have said 'black" and been done with it. I ended up with a tan base,with striations of green and black, just not what I had in mind. Out comes the paint can! It should make a very handy rifle though, even with the 26" barrel. What did you say you were putting your stock on..the 6mm remington? Jim.<BR>

James P. Knight
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
AFP,<BR> I'm just starting a 6.5mm Remington magnum based on an older "tang safety" ruger short action,,it is just a factory takeoff barrel being put on, but then I am going to get the action and trigger all cleaned up, put an Elk Ridge Laminated stock in some crazy pattern on it and top it with a decent 3-9 scope,,hopefully I can find a used leupold somewhere and have it refurbished,,Not exactly "custom" but I sure hope it works out,,BEARHUNTER

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Blaine. Yes, the .25-35 Win. in a Marlin lever action. Say a 24 inch barrel, iron sights, and/or a scout scope. CW Sling. I'm NOT going to do it. E.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (21, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 27 invisible), 1,761 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,632
Posts18,492,998
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.