-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My ex was a middle school teacher here in CO and her vice principal was a former Sheriff's Deputy and an on call SWAT team member. They did SWAT drills after hours at each and every school in the district. They familiarized themselves with the lay-outs so if the call came, they could rush the school and immediately stop any assailant.

The Aurora police chief in one of the press interviews commented on the lessons learned at Columbine and how tactics have changed. He said they no longer establish a perimeter first.

That's the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's engage, not necessarily stop. Shooter trading shots with cops is a lot better than them hosing down unarmed victims.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
They probably had to run home and retrieve their guns from the shower before they could respond.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
crosshair, I am sorry if I misunderstood the true meaning of your post by responding to it literally.

Anyway, my post pointed out where people can get some unvarnished facts, and everybody can draw whatever conclusions they want from them about what happened. The response sounded quick, and everybody sounded like they were attempting to stay on task under newer protocols, but dynamic situations rarely go 100% according to plan.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
fish head, the common response to the lessens of Columbine was to get the training down to the patrol level rather than just the SWAT level.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
crosshair, I am sorry if I misunderstood the true meaning of your post by responding to it literally.

Anyway, my post pointed out where people can get some unvarnished facts, and everybody can draw whatever conclusions they want from them about what happened. The response sounded quick, and everybody sounded like they were attempting to stay on task under newer protocols, but dynamic situations rarely go 100% according to plan.

After the Lucasville Riot my department developed a Critical Incident Management plan. That is an ongoing development. It sets forward plans for situations and a system for management. I think that type of system is in effect in every department and city. But it takes time to evaluate and deploy, no way around that.

After Columbine cops in Colorado (and elsewhere) no longer set up a perimeter first. They go straight in. First and foremost stop the shooter and save lives.

If this is true, and it likely is, those cops are entering a situation absolutely blind and dumb. They no nothing of the situation at hand and are in extreme danger. Information received in those opening minutes is either nonexistent or very unreliable. They are sent in to buy time at a very high price, potentially their lives.

Here's a question I've been pondering. Had the police engaged and either by missing or with a pass through hit a bystander, what would happen to him both criminally and civilly? I imagine civilly the officer would retain his sovereign immunity and the department take any hit. I can't imagine he would be criminally charged.

Now change the officer to a CCW holder under the same set of circumstances, What then?

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by crosshair

Here's a question I've been pondering. Had the police engaged and either by missing or with a pass through hit a bystander, what would happen to him both criminally and civilly? I imagine civilly the officer would retain his sovereign immunity and the department take any hit. I can't imagine he would be criminally charged.

Now change the officer to a CCW holder under the same set of circumstances, What then?
Good point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Good point.

You'll love this

Police Identify Bystander Shot By Officers, Offer Apology
Columbus Police say the woman was shot near the intersection of Neil Ave. and Spruce St. early Saturday.(Photo: Google Maps)
3:30PM
July 9, 2012
Steve Brown
by Steve Brown
NPR
Columbus Police say the woman was shot near the intersection of Neil Ave. and Spruce St. early Saturday.(Photo: Google Maps)

Columbus Police say they have apologized to the woman who was accidentally shot by officers over the weekend.

Police say 29-year-old Heather Garrett was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. The Columbus resident was walking near the intersection of Neil Ave. and Vine St. in the Arena District early Saturday when Officers Ryan Steele and Jesse Perkins opened fire on Dennis Weigand after he reportedly tried to ram officers with his car.

Columbus Police Sergeant Rich Weiner says an investigation is ongoing, but it appears that Garrett was hit after a bullet that ricocheted off something nearby.

Weiner called the shooting �a cost of doing business.�

�This is a very horrible consequence that happened,� Weiner told reporters Monday afternoon.

�And you know what? There�s nothing that we can do to take it back. I can guarantee you that this is not only life changing for Ms. Garrett and the suspect, but this is going to affect the officers, as well,� Weiner said.

Garrett remains in the OSU Medical Center, and Weiner says she�s expected to make a full recovery. Weiner says police at this point have given zero thought to any potential civil liability in the shooting.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Oh how I wish I could.

Just one person shooting back, one.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Yeah, I imagine that would have turned out slightly differently had it not been a cop doing the shooting, likely involving handcuffs and sitting in a cell for a while, not to mention personal liability up the yin yang.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If this is true, and it likely is, those cops are entering a situation absolutely blind and dumb. They no nothing of the situation at hand and are in extreme danger. Information received in those opening minutes is either nonexistent or very unreliable. They are sent in to buy time at a very high price, potentially their lives.

People with the guns and training are better off than the kids in a school or families in a theater taking fire.

Judgment in the Campfire Court and on CNN will likely be swift and negative. It is a messy situation.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

What planet do you live on? And you claim to be in some sort of law enforcement?... crazy

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Plinker
Good stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

What planet do you live on? And you claim to be in some sort of law enforcement?... crazy

In Ohio anyway a public employee cannot be sued as an individual if they were within the scope of their duties.

In the case that an employee is sued a Sovereign Immunity hear may be held to discover if the employee was acting within the scope of their duties and did not act, or fail to act, out of malicious intent or reckless disregard.

ORC 2744.03 I imagine all states have such laws on the books.

2744.03 Defenses - immunities.

(A) In a civil action brought against a political subdivision or an employee of a political subdivision to recover damages for injury, death, or loss to person or property allegedly caused by any act or omission in connection with a governmental or proprietary function, the following defenses or immunities may be asserted to establish nonliability:

(1) The political subdivision is immune from liability if the employee involved was engaged in the performance of a judicial, quasi-judicial, prosecutorial, legislative, or quasi-legislative function.

(2) The political subdivision is immune from liability if the conduct of the employee involved, other than negligent conduct, that gave rise to the claim of liability was required by law or authorized by law, or if the conduct of the employee involved that gave rise to the claim of liability was necessary or essential to the exercise of powers of the political subdivision or employee.

(3) The political subdivision is immune from liability if the action or failure to act by the employee involved that gave rise to the claim of liability was within the discretion of the employee with respect to policy-making, planning, or enforcement powers by virtue of the duties and responsibilities of the office or position of the employee.

(4) The political subdivision is immune from liability if the action or failure to act by the political subdivision or employee involved that gave rise to the claim of liability resulted in injury or death to a person who had been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a criminal offense and who, at the time of the injury or death, was serving any portion of the person�s sentence by performing community service work for or in the political subdivision whether pursuant to section 2951.02 of the Revised Code or otherwise, or resulted in injury or death to a child who was found to be a delinquent child and who, at the time of the injury or death, was performing community service or community work for or in a political subdivision in accordance with the order of a juvenile court entered pursuant to section 2152.19 or 2152.20 of the Revised Code, and if, at the time of the person�s or child�s injury or death, the person or child was covered for purposes of Chapter 4123. of the Revised Code in connection with the community service or community work for or in the political subdivision.

(5) The political subdivision is immune from liability if the injury, death, or loss to person or property resulted from the exercise of judgment or discretion in determining whether to acquire, or how to use, equipment, supplies, materials, personnel, facilities, and other resources unless the judgment or discretion was exercised with malicious purpose, in bad faith, or in a wanton or reckless manner.

(6) In addition to any immunity or defense referred to in division (A)(7) of this section and in circumstances not covered by that division or sections 3314.07 and 3746.24 of the Revised Code, the employee is immune from liability unless one of the following applies:

(a) The employee�s acts or omissions were manifestly outside the scope of the employee�s employment or official responsibilities;

(b) The employee�s acts or omissions were with malicious purpose, in bad faith, or in a wanton or reckless manner;

(c) Civil liability is expressly imposed upon the employee by a section of the Revised Code. Civil liability shall not be construed to exist under another section of the Revised Code merely because that section imposes a responsibility or mandatory duty upon an employee, because that section provides for a criminal penalty, because of a general authorization in that section that an employee may sue and be sued, or because the section uses the term �shall� in a provision pertaining to an employee.

(7) The political subdivision, and an employee who is a county prosecuting attorney, city director of law, village solicitor, or similar chief legal officer of a political subdivision, an assistant of any such person, or a judge of a court of this state is entitled to any defense or immunity available at common law or established by the Revised Code.

(B) Any immunity or defense conferred upon, or referred to in connection with, an employee by division (A)(6) or (7) of this section does not affect or limit any liability of a political subdivision for an act or omission of the employee as provided in section 2744.02 of the Revised Code.

In Colorado, look at page 8.
http://www.denbar.org/repository/Inside_Bar/Govt%20Counsel/3-22-05.pdf

Why don't you look before you open your trap?

Last edited by crosshair; 07/28/12.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
[Linked Image]

Well, that's weird. Of course he's smiling in one but not te other

Last edited by crosshair; 07/28/12.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very interesting.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
[Linked Image]

Not the same guy.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
<POPCORN> wink

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 15 invisible), 1,565 guests, and 861 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,607
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.