Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have been carrying a ZIPPO for many, many years. It has advantages that a BIC does not have. Some people say they don't like ZIPPOs 'cause they run out of fuel. Mine don't. Here's why I never worry about the ZIPPO "going dry" at the wrong time causing me major misery when trying to light a fire.

I don't smoke so don't worry about lighting 25 or 30 cigarettes each day. If I did, I'd use a BIC, too. As for a ZIPPO, I'd no more leave home for the boonies without "fueling up," than I'd carry my CCW unloaded.

I decided to try an experiment and here is the result. First, I filled my old ZIPPO to the brim. Then, I placed the rubber sleeve I cut from a bicycle tube around it so the top and body were completely sealed. (This is how I've been carrying my ZIPPO for many years with no problems.)

Then I marked my calendar as to the day I began this experiment. Each day, twice per day, I opened the ZIPPO and lighted it. I allowed it to burn 10 seconds per light, simulating lighting tinder for two fires each day. I always replaced the rubber tube. There were a few times when I lighted it several times per day when I was outside burning some papers in a burn barrel.

According to my calendar, the ZIPPO ran perfecty for 11 weeks, then went dry.

Then I opened one of the tiny Tabasco bottles in which I carry extra lighter fluid. They're in a small plastic bag, always stuffed in my day pack. I put one bottle in the ZIPPO. It was not filled to the brim. I followed the same procedure as noted above, lighting it always twice a day and sometimes three or four times. According to my calendar, it lasted for one day past four weeks.

I think that is pretty good performance.

Everyone carries what he or she feels is best, and a BIC can be mighty handy. But as I don't intend to stay out in the boonies for 19 weeks, I don't worry about my ZIPPO "going dry" and letting me down in a dire situation. Here is what my ZIPPOs with and without the rubber tube, and the Tabasco bottles look like. Note the flame. It was kinda windy outside where I took the picture. Think a BIC will do that?

[Linked Image]

(Yeah, I have two of them. grin ) Also the rubber tube makes the ZIPPO waterproof. Works for me

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good job on the testing.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Originally Posted by davidlea
CaseyTibbs, What all is the bleach for?

It really helps make my whites... whiter.
But seriously the bleach is for emergency water treatment. 3-5 drops per liter of water shaken and let set for 5 minutes will make all but the most contaminated water safe enough to drink. Doesn't really effect the taste, provided you can ignore a bit of bleach smell. I wouldn't want to exist indefinitely on bleach treated water, but in the short term, its just fine. (Actually a half gallon of bleach should be in everyone's emergency preparedness kits as it is great for emergency sterilization as well.)

Good suggestion about the inner tube around the zippo. My qualm with zippos in the past has always been two fold:
1.If left for any length of time in a pack, especially in hot weather, or if left in a hot car, the pack and its contents end up smelling like liter fluid. This is especially annoying if you have food packed.
2. As a young adult I was a smoker, and for a while carried a zippo. I found that it wasn't the best choice to carry up skiing as it was harder to light and keep lit riding up the chair lift and wouldn't stay lit in the wind and snow storms. It also was prone to flaring up (especially at higher elevations) if I tried to shield it inside my jacket and after burning the inside of a "ski school" issued jacket during one such flare up I went to a disposable. I've also gotten burnt by a hot zippo I tried to use to light a votive candle when I stuck it back in my pocket without letting it cool. It was interesting explaining that blister to my girl friend....

But honestly I think any kind of lighter is a compromise to some degree, and each kind has its draw backs, but they are much more convenient than matches in most situations.

Last edited by CaseyTibbs; 08/04/12.

"This ain't my 1st rodeo..."
Casey Tibbs... St. Joseph's Hospital Emergency Room, Deadwood,S.D.
August 1959

Don't piss down my leg and tell me it's raining.
Originally Posted by kawi
Well Casey wellcome You ruffi.

So what is a ruffi? Or do I even want to know?

"This ain't my 1st rodeo..."
Casey Tibbs... St. Joseph's Hospital Emergency Room, Deadwood,S.D.
August 1959

Don't piss down my leg and tell me it's raining.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by CaseyTibbs
Originally Posted by kawi
Well Casey wellcome You ruffi.

So what is a ruffi? Or do I even want to know?

You'll have to get used to that. His posts and replies are worth following. And trying to understand.......

Golden............
IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (16gage, 160user, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10ring1, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,915 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,491
Posts18,490,394
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.