L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I think he's gonna do it.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My main project is that I'm going to dust off my lathe and try my hand at fitting and chambering a barrel in 25-06 to a doner 700 I have around. Just got a package from Brownells with a Shilen barrel, Manson reamer and a few other parts. Unscrewed the old barrel the other day and have been busy making various tools and fixtures.<P>I'm going to finish the barrel at 26 inches and while I haven't bought anything, I imagine I'll end up using a HS stock, 6X42 Leup and probably a Timney trigger.<P>Other than that, I want to try some 230 Failsafes in my 338 Ultra, try H1000 and RE-25 in the 8Mag and work on a better load for my other 25-06.<P>Other than those things, I'm just killing time 'til next hunting season. [Linked Image]<BR>

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Blaine I was gonna build a 6.5-06 on a left hand Savage I have but now the WSM has me thinking of 6.5 WSM 26 to 28 inch gain twist barrel on a Choate Varmit stock. The Savage action may have to be replaced by a shorter Remington or Ruger. The follower could be a problem and may be the side rails, but there is always the single shot option. First I have to finish my 458x2 American. Just finish the stock and go shoot it. <P>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Blaine... the 35/284 is very interesting, but I want a 'traditional' style levengun wildcat. ~~~Suluuq

Browning low wall in 44 mag converted to 50AE and long throated to increase col from 1.3 to 1.7". Plan on shooting 350gr RCBS cast and 325 Speer's @ about 17-1800 fps when using heavy loads.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PAC-NOR has my RUGER NO ONE.They are fitting a 30 in. barrel in 7mm ultra to it.Leupold has the scope- 3.5 to 10 x vari 3 - putting a target knob on the elevation adjustment.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Guys,<P>There are some neat projects out there. <P>Loud Cloud,<P>It is no secret the earlier M-98s, though a very sound design, were made of steels that aren't nearly as strong as the steels used today. Therefore a gunsmith has to be very carefulk when converting one of these Mausers to a more modern, high pressure chambering. It sounds like you have a neat collector piece. Do you plan to keep it in it's present chambering?<P>JMac,<P>I envy you your lathe. When I finally get to a place where I'm going to stay put, I want a mill and a lathe in my shop.<P>Mojo,<P>Have you considered using SteelBed?<P>Jim,<P>My Lone Wolf is going on the 30-06.<P>Hillbilly,<P>You project sounds very unique. Are you getting a new barrel or just reboring the old one?<P><BR>Gene,<P>You will have a screamer. Hopefully that 30" barrel will make good use of the Ultra's case capacity. Please keep us updated as to how it shoots. I'm also curiuos how long your throat will last. Do you have some way to measure throat erosion, like the Stoney Point set up?<P>Blaine

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AFP:<BR><B><BR>It is no secret the earlier M-98s, though a very sound design, were made of steels that aren't nearly as strong as the steels used today. Therefore a gunsmith has to be very carefulk when converting one of these Mausers to a more modern, high pressure chambering. It sounds like you have a neat collector piece. Do you plan to keep it in it's present chambering?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Blaine,<BR>I wouldn't dream of altering these rifles in any way. The 7x57mm and 8x57mm rounds handloaded to modern safe levels provide all the power I need. Btw, I'm not a collector. None of my guns are knick-knacks. If it don't hunt, I don't have room for it. To me, these are just the ultimate in a lean, mean, practical (and gorgeous) huntin' machine. I realize that others see things differently, and I see no reason to look for a debate on the subject. Since my father and I, (and Finn Aagaard), and many, many others have enjoyed up-to-date performance from these rifles for some time now, I'm not overly concerned about a blow-up. I would agree that a headspace check is always a good idea with any unknown, questionable specimen. These rifles and cartridges are still very much in regular use in Europe, Africa and elsewhere, and they are good enough for me, too. [Linked Image] LC<P>

Blaine; I'm having the factory barrel rebored so I can keep the half round/half octogonal contour. Mr. Dick Nickle was going to start on my barrel - just before he passed away. My 'smith has scrambled to find a replacement(I don't know his name!)and hopefully my rifle will be completed in a few weeks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blaine,I haven't given barrel life any thought.I'll shoot it quite a bit until I get the new wore off,then it will be a special purpose hunting tool.<P>I've got dies and some factory loads waiting on it.I should get it back toward the end of this month.I'll let you know how it works out.GENE.<P>BTW,are you short enough to sleep in a matchbox with a cleaning patch for a sheet?I spent most of 1961 at camp FUJI McNAIR.It was a tent camp so it may not even be there anymore.I'd kinda like to know.The 12th marines [my outfit ]went there from OKINAWA for artillery practice.It was between GOTEMBA and MT FUJI.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 38 invisible), 2,216 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,930
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.