Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by Oklahoma

So Steve what would your recommendations for loading for the AR be?

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/reloadbasics/gasgunreload.cfm

There is some data in that link that does not hold true these days or with all gas guns/service rifles.

Of course that is a begginners link, and great general information.

Some of us realize though that there are better things out there and different ways of doing them and that not everything you read is the only way to do things. Generally takes a bit of work to get there though. I was once told that a 223 could not drive a 90 jlk fast enough to have an advantage over an 80 jlk.(while either would have an advantage over the 80 sierra by a long shot).

YMMV. Should have put that disclaimer in all my posts.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
correct neck tension and close to a 100% capacity powder density charge( note I did not say max load) is more important than a crimp. IMHO

Rost, how do you get that 100% density. Use a slow stick powder like 4895 or 4064? kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
rost, it didn't take 10,000 rounds a year to realize neck sized ammo wouldn't chamber in my AR's even when segregated for chamber to chamber just like I do in my bolt guns.

One fact us mortals have to contend with is brass grows when fired and sooner or later the shoulders have to be bumped back.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sure you have to sooner or later FL size, but you don't have to all the time.

Normal folks that load all the time realize that. Not even BR shooters can neck size all the time.

What just flat floors me is the continual ignorance of reading something and making a deal out of it.

You and I have discussed this before, and we've noted that FL and even a crimp probably if my life depended on it. Thats a rare issue though, most are just hunting, plinking, competing etc... its not always all needed there.

The mortal comment pisses me off. I'm only mortal like the rest of you, but yet I"ve seen a few things over the years. I refuse to always blindly believe what I read, I follow that up with real life. Real life says that my shooting buddy has run a LOT of rounds neck sized only. As noted wilson dies and IIRC you can't buy a FL sizer in wilson.

At this point I dont' know what to say, because I've seen it, shot it and it works. As noted I don't do it that way personally but there are still folks that say we never made it to the moon and that the earth is still flat also.

KWG.. I typically ran N500 powders or Varget. Either one with heavy bullets is pretty easy to get close to or at case capacity. So much so that certain loads needed a drop tube to dump the powder with to get compaction. Note that the number of rounds of 223 with bullets lighter than 68/69 grain bullets that I"ve ever fired is probably below 1000 rounds. Maybe well under 1000 rounds. I simply have no use for the lighter bullets.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
full length size, no crimp

IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rost495
Its a fallacy to think that AR ammo needs FL sizing and or a crimp. Neither really hurts, but I have run more rounds than most will ever think about, without crimp, and while I prefer to FL size, a buddy thats run more than most will ever think about, neck sizes and has never had an issue...

Maybe you could be more specific and say "neck sizes until he has to full length size." Taking you for what you wrote is BS when someone is looking for suggestions and sees a top shooter who says neck sizing is all you need.

"The mortal comment pisses me off. I'm only mortal like the rest of you, but yet I"ve seen a few things over the years. I refuse to always blindly believe what I read, I follow that up with real life."

Well Jeff, I don't know what to tell you, it's just the internet. It'd be easy to get pissed off when you counter my real life experience with "I used to shoot more than most". Heck I use to run a thousand rounds a weekend, not every weekend but I've shot quite a bit and have seen things too. Neck sizing didn't work for me and you shooting his ammo could only mean his chamber was tighter than yours, not odds I'd like to bet on.

But to each his own...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hello Rost
I shoot 24 grains of RL10 and I have a lot of room left in my case. My accuracy is pretty good. If I put 25 grains of 4895 in, it fills the case very nicely. A 55 grain bullet will just touch the powder or come very close. I have not checked the accuracy of the 4895 load in an AR. I have in a Mini 14 and accuracy was OK but not great. I guess I'll have to give the 4895 another try with 25 grains.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by Oklahoma

So Steve what would your recommendations for loading for the AR be?

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/reloadbasics/gasgunreload.cfm

That was a great article (for me). I am somewhat new at reloading for my AR. Thanks.

I have been using 62 gr Barnes TSX's under 24.5 grains of TAC. I get similar accuracy with the 6o grain NPT. I did notice that the NPT required a tighter bushing for neck tension. I am using Rem brass.

I may up it a 1/2 grain to 25gr just for the heck of it.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 47 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,078
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.