Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I decided to do a little test today with my GA Precision .338 Lapua at 200 meters. Free recoil VS. loaded bipod. I was curious about point of impact change more than anything. 90% or more of my shooting is from prone with a bipod, but I will on occasion work up loads from the bench with a benchrest rest. One thing I learned long ago was it can be problematic trying to shoot a rifle and bipod accurately without a little "loading" of the bipod(slight shoulder pressure applied to the buttpad). Consistancy is the key. With a little practice it's not hard to master. Although the bipod group is slighter larger, the POI is virtually the same on both five shot groups.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've had great luck with the Harris Type "S" notched leg bipods with a KMW Pod-Loc(anti-cant locking device)added on.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I probably do it about like you do Pat, I shoot off the bench a bit for groups but I always sight in off the ground and most all my longer range shooting is off the ground.

I've found some will shoot to the same poi and some will not. One just has to shoot them to see I guess.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The increased size of the group is due to the lousy Harris bipod. Its big problem is that it's stuck under the forearm and hops when you fire. Try a cantilevered bipod like a VersaPod.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I hardly if ever do anything from the bench or bench rest unless that's the intended use for the rifle.

I used to "load" the bi-pod. However, I don't do that anymore either. My reasoning is because if I am over a pack or log etc. there is no loading possible. I found that consistency in the pressure via the 2 middle fingers into the pocket of the shoulder is more crucial than the loading of the bi-pod. Keeping the pinky finger and thumb from torquing the rifle under recoil plays a big factor as well, in my opinion.

I've grown to like the Atlas but still use the Harris version often.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Those are some great groups. Not a significant difference in group size for a hunting rig.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting test.

Do you think the results would be different with a lighter weight rifle? That .338 is like 21 lbs or something, isn't it?

I've always shot better with the loaded bipod vs free recoil, but I don't have a benchrest like that to compare it to.

Last edited by oldslowdog; 07/31/12.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
The increased size of the group is due to the lousy Harris bipod. Its big problem is that it's stuck under the forearm and hops when you fire. Try a cantilevered bipod like a VersaPod.

The increased size of the group is .141". I can live with my lousy Harris bipod......laffin'

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all bipods "stuck" to the forearm in one way or another?

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Come on Pat, .141" seriously you gotta raise your standards... shocked

Yeepers

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by oldslowdog
Interesting test.

Do you think the results would be different with a lighter weight rifle? That .338 is like 21 lbs or something, isn't it?

I've always shot better with the loaded bipod vs free recoil, but I don't have a benchrest like that to compare it to.

I don't think the weight makes a difference.

Here's a 20lb gun shot off a Harris at 500

[Linked Image]

Her's a 9 lb gun (same caliber almost the exact same load) same bi pod at 500.

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter

The increased size of the group is .141". I can live with my lousy Harris bipod......laffin'

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all bipods "stuck" to the forearm in one way or another?

Yep, that lousy Harris really opened up your groups. Better not use it on any shot over 100 yards, you might miss wink.

Very worthwhile test!

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice shooting Pat (as per usual)....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have never found a Harris to change POI or alter group size much.

I also never played with the style scenar posted until I went to Glasgow this year. MontanaMarine had one on his rig and I am sold on that style bipod. Slicker 'dan schit.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
In the field I have not seen a difference on POI when switching from a short bipod to a pack. When using the harris style bipods in an urban environment (off concrete) I had two rifles that displayed a 1 moa shift in POI regardless of whether the bipod was loaded or not.

I am pretty firm in loading my bipod and even when shooting off off of a pack I will lean into it quite a bit. As other have mentioned consistency is the key and I am more reliable in the field putting some pressure on the rifle rather than "floating it" off of a pack or other rest.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When shooting prone from a bipod, I have a much harder time staying in the scope to spot impact than I do from the bench. Am I alone?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Nice scope!

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser
When shooting prone from a bipod, I have a much harder time staying in the scope to spot impact than I do from the bench. Am I alone?

A good break is your friend.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Getting yourself straight behind the rifle will help a ton as well. My Tikka is only about 7.5lbs ready to go and as long as I can keep everything in line all is well. As soon as I float my hips it bounces all over the place and I loose my target every time.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know a good front rest certainly has its advantages.
Here is a couple of 100 yard groups, both shot within the last month off of a Harris bi-pod.
One is a 3-shot group and the other is a four-shot group.
This Specialty Handgun has grouped well out to 1100 yards just in the past week, prone using the Harris with pod-lok.
First, 4-shot group with a 6.5-20 Leupold (6.5-06 with 140 gr A-Max@ 2755 fps [H-4350]).
[Linked Image]

Same SP, but now with a VX-3 4.5-14, same bullet, Hybrid 100V @ 2881 fps. 3-shot group .155
[Linked Image]

Here is the SP in action at WTRC (NE Wyoming last week). I was shooting the LR targets out to 1000+ yards. We came in 2nd place.
[Linked Image]

Here is my post about the match itself and our team:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6734749/WTRC_2012#Post6734749

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Getting yourself straight behind the rifle will help a ton as well. My Tikka is only about 7.5lbs ready to go and as long as I can keep everything in line all is well. As soon as I float my hips it bounces all over the place and I loose my target every time.

Excellent point.. well said.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 58 invisible), 2,221 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,811
Posts18,496,425
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.