Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Both are $39.95 + tax at Shooter's Choice in Ontario. shocked I suppose the question is, are these powders more expensive than others for a reason? Perhaps it is the store mark up.

I've read the write ups. Both are supposed to produce higher velocities than the so called 'traditional powders'.

I'll have to check with Epps and see if they carry them. I was going to stop in at Shooter's Choice to escape having to visit with the wife's family for too long. The trip to the shop is still on, but $90 for 2 pounds of powder is a little much.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Do you have a chronograph Steve? If you do would you mind doing a comparasin test againt tradional powders and sharing the results with us?

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a chrono, but I will put off buying those powders until I confirm prices. US and CDN sources have them listed $10 -$12 /lb cheaper. I'm wondering if their email was a misprint.

I wanted the powders for some work I was doing with a 30-30.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Omineca Source for Sports in BC was offering CFE 223 for $29/lb and Leverevoluon for $30/lb

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Steve,I don't blame ya, don't break the bank! I will look in cranbrook next weekend but I'm sure it'll be even higher priced there!!!

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Tonight, assuming the grandkids do not show up at my door, I will go over to Epps Sporting Goods and have a look.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I found both powders for $32/lb at Lovett's (The Gun Centre) - significantly less expensive than Shooter's Choice. I ordered a pound of each. Including tax, that's almost $19 cheaper.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's been 6 weeks and neither has come in.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy whatever I can find.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm going to see if they have any in cranbrook today,but I doubt it.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was at Epps earlier and scored a pound of each - $30.99 and $31.99.

While I was there a guy was buying a box of Federal 30-30 cartridges topped with Barnes TSX bullets. I hope you're sitting down - $47.99! That's $54.23 with tax.

It's no wonder they're installing defibrillators everywhere.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hey Steve I looked in Cranny at mountain man and they didn't have either powder in stock I did find a lb of varget and parted with 36.98$ to get it!!
My hunting bud picked up a box of fed premium 7 mag and after he paid the tax it was 80.00!!! for only 20 rounds I almost fell over

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Wow! That's pricey for Varget! Sometimes I think that because we live in Canada, there's a 20% "gouging tariff" applied to some goods.

The worst is IMR/Hodgdon. Many of these powders are made in Quebec, exported to the US, repackaged and sent back to Canada. Of course, they have to charge more!

Some accounting type told me that it had to do with margins and sales volumes. It sounds like BS to me.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The last lb of varget I bought in the same store is marked 39.98!! I should be thrilled that the price has dropped so dramaticly smile I think Randy sells all his powder for the same price,cause every can I got here has the sme price on it and the stuff I picked up in Terrace is 1 cent more.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Try living in Australia. Alot of the Hodgdon powders (H4227, H4198, Benchmark, H4895,Varget, H4350, H4831sc, H1000, and Retumbo)are made 1 hour or so from me. I have to pay $45 or so for a 500gm tin Vs only $23-24 in the US, and the AUS $ is higher than the US $.

We get told the high prices are for dangerous goods shipping, yet you would think that the same would apply when shipping powder to a wharf? Yet Hodgdon can buy it from us, ship it to the US, transport it to a warehouse, repackage it, and truck it all over the US and make a profit for less than $20/lb.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Aussiesteve
Try living in Australia. A lot of the Hodgdon powders (H4227, H4198, Benchmark, H4895,Varget, H4350, H4831sc, H1000, and Retumbo)are made 1 hour or so from me...

We have the same problem in Canada. As I posted earlier, much of the IMR line and an increasing amount of Hodgdon is being made in Canada, exported to the US, repackaged and some returned to Canada. We pay more for it as well.

Welcome to the fascinating world of merchandising.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try living in Australia. Alot of the Hodgdon powders (H4227, H4198, Benchmark, H4895,Varget, H4350, H4831sc, H1000, and Retumbo)are made 1 hour or so from me. I have to pay $45 or so for a 500gm tin Vs only $23-24 in the US, and the AUS $ is higher than the US $.

Are you paying that much for the Varget labelled powder, or the ADI equivalents?

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
We are paying the $45 for the Australian branded powders.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Terrible that you fellers have to pay that kind of money. I recently bought a pound of CFE 223 here for $20.00 even at a gun show but really haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

That price is half of what you have to pay for the same stuff.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Oh yup we get hozzed on everything.We splurged today and went halfers on a 8 pack of budwieser my share came to $7.12.I expect you fellas south of the medicine line can get a whole dozen for less than that.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Rog, when it comes to beer,Canadian vs US, is apples to oranges. The US style is cheaper, for a reason.
We went though this a while back,a fellow is hard pressed to find anything cheaper, or the same price in Canada. I bought some little girl nail polish for fishing jigs in Dryden.$3.00. Iowa, $2.00. Most of that truck comes from China, go figure?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1badf350, 17CalFan, 1minute, 204guy, 1936M71, 72 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,683
Posts18,493,925
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.