Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Same thing happened to my dad many years ago although he was leading the horse with a deer on top of the saddle. The horse just planted her feet and stayed put until he could get the cinch undone to resaddle her. You don't find too many like that.

They know how to take care of their riders. In rough or icy trerrain some horses know how to fall, they know they have to keep the riders on their backs at all cost. The horses I can't stand, and as far as I am concerned should be in a dog food can are those POS that spook and use it for an excuse to buck their riders off.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't think any horse or mule is all that interested in keeping thier riders safe.They are intersted in keeping themselves safe and the rider is just lucky enough to go along with it. The more mature an animal is,the more that becomes a learned task, along with good training.
When we start trying to impart human emotions and thought proceses into equines,we usually end up in trouble.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Speaking of saddles...several years ago, my next door neighbor was saddle breaking a 2 yo gelding. He had it saddled and turned it loose in his fenced front yard to get used to having it on his back. I looked over there and saw that the colt had apparently scratched it's nose with a hind hoof and the hoof had gone right through the stirrup. All hell was getting ready to cut loose. I called the guy and ran over there and got hold of the halter about the time that he came out of the house. The colt was scared but we were able to get the cinch unbuckled before anyone got hurt.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rock Chuck,
Good one. To all those people that insist on using a rear cinch swinging in breeze when they don't even carry a rope. A hind foot or a stick in there has caused some real wrecks.

Kaleb,
Nice photos. I especially like the two front feet on the stump. It is not that easy. But I would urge you to use some more caution. I remember saying to a friend a few years ago:
"Do I look scared?" A year late I was in two wrecks that changed my life. Don't take anything for granted especially with kids and people that lack experience.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I really appreciate the input here. I think the best thing for me is to stick with my llamas. I drew a bighorn sheep tag this year and I'm just back from a 5 day scouting trip, packing with my llamas. We covered some very rough, high, steep, etc. terrain with no problems. I spent a good amount of those 5 days thinking about the horse and mule issue. I think I could learn to ride and be reasonably safe. I have about 3 good friends around here that are lifelong horsemen, and none of them are crippled. They would bring me along and do a good job of keeping me safe. The thing is I really don't want to spend the time and money. I'd rather go fishing, hiking, shooting, etc and then walk into the backcountry with my llamas. Then every now and then I can take a trip with a carefully chosen outfitter and enjoy riding in the mountains. So, to the guys here that have patiently answered my questions, thank you very much. I admire your accomplishments and your willingness to teach a llama packer.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
You probably made the right decision for you.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I don't think any horse or mule is all that interested in keeping thier riders safe.They are intersted in keeping themselves safe and the rider is just lucky enough to go along with it. The more mature an animal is,the more that becomes a learned task, along with good training.
When we start trying to impart human emotions and thought proceses into equines,we usually end up in trouble.

I don't disagree with you often, but more than once I've been bailed out by a horse (yes, a horse) and there was no doubt in my mind he was taking care of me and knew it. On the other hand, a few others have gone out of their way to bust my knee on a tree that really wasn't that convenient for him to begin with and he knew it.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I slid down a steep embankment with my white horse in tow. It ended up with the horse standing spread eagle with his front legs over my head. He could have just as easy stepped on my shoulder or head. That horse is very careful where he places his feet when people are near him. As for my paint, his feet go down where they go down and if you foot is there thats your problem.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This has been a great read fellas, thanks. I haven't been on a horse since I was a little fart. Hope to one day own a couple. Have an uncle that keeps barrel horses and a cousin that trains them, so at least I have some family to ask.

Isaiah 6:8

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I too am enjoying this thread. Comcur with a good one (mule)is great and a bad one is really terrible. There is a difference in the folks who grew up in this life out in the world and not just the arena. Arena knowledge is not wrong, but one needs much more for the wildlands.

As far as learning to ride and pack, it would be absolutly great to go with an oldtimer and learn from his (or hers!) decades of knowledge. What they have paid for in blood and calluses is beyond price. The animals you need have to have a very sound mind, and reasonably sound body. And you need to know how to "read" them to know how to handle em. Good luck in this process of learning, it could be very rewarding for you..

My husband is still shoeing all week every week at 67, I am 55, need a knee replaced, but we are sure planning on a Colorado hunting trip for elk this fall. With out our riding/packing mules, we can do it, without, no way.

I ride mules, hunt every chance I can, and even take my husband with me!
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm leaving this Wednesday for a 12 day tune up Nancy. hope I don't encounter those 2000 sheep like last year with this mule that does not like sheep.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just last night I was out riding with my Sister-in-law, almost home, turned in the saddle talking to her when my mule spooked at something. He whirled to the left and back while I went over the front. It happened so quick I didn't have time to do anything but duck my head and luckily landed on my hip and shoulder in the gravel road. Worst damage is the burn on my hand from the rein pulling through. We've been through that spot hundreds of times, between my Brother's commodity shed and a feedlot for dry cows so it was familiar country for him. I'm guessing some coons busted out of the weeds or something at that time of the evening.
The mule has been a good one and this is the first time I've seen anything like this out of him. Cindy was on a 3 year old, green broke, high strung, trouble maker who didn't even flinch. Goes to show they can all cause trouble at some point.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can heartily recommend a packing school for a week or so to get started on the right foot. Then you will learn from professionals and work with some experienced animals. They cost less than a regular commercial pack trip because the students do most of the work. I was fortunate enough to ride with Lee Rouser in 1978 and Bob Tanner's crew a short time later out of Mammoth Lakes, CA. Sawbucks and diamonds work for most anything.

I went on a private trip with friends in WY once and thought it was funny when they used a scale to balance panniers. We trotted that horse string for miles when we had good trail doing 25 miles a day in the mountains. We never had to adjust a pack oonce.

George Santayana
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Good luck on your hunt there Vince... and don't seek the sheep!

I ride mules, hunt every chance I can, and even take my husband with me!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Ladymulerider
... and don't seek the sheep!

Where is Travis when good advice abounds?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I rented a string of horses in WY from some guys we knew. They were all untested. About 40 miles in we were lined out and moving good, but we are all kind of sleepy. I allowed the horse I was riding to get the lead rope caught under his tail and he clamped down on it right on his butt hole. Horses on pack strings should be trained to deal with it. He wasn't and started the crow hopping and bucking on a steep trail. I bailed off after about 4 jumps on the uphill side to the right. It was so steep I slid under the horses feet. He stopped and waited for me to get up. During the commotion a very sharp hunting knife came out of its sheath, but no harm no foul. Forty miles in with no cell phone, no sat phone and no help. The horse did okay. He saved my life. We finished the week long trip without incident except for negotiating a rock slide.

Last edited by ppine; 09/05/12.

George Santayana
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bad ride beats a good walk any day

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ppine
I rented a string of horses in WY from some guys we knew. They were all untested. About 40 miles in we were lined out and moving good, but we are all kind of sleepy. I allowed the horse I was riding to get the lead rope caught under his tail and he clamped down on it right on his butt hole. Horses on pack strings should be trained to deal with it. He wasn't and started the crow hopping and bucking on a steep trail.

I've been around a bunch of horses that have led pack strings for years and miles and roping horses that have roped thousands of times. Some of them consider the rimfire spot completely off limits no matter how many times.

I've used a crouper on some colts to try and get them used to it, but I'm not real eager to find out for sure.

Where were you on this trip?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ralphie,
We were in the Absoroka Range on the South Fork of the Shoshone River where Bill Cody took Grand Duke Alexis of Prussia on that famous hunting trip.

Your point about off limits areas is well taken. Crouper breaking and any other kind you can think of like mounting on the right, pulling weight with a rope, etc. really helps the useful and safety of mountain horses and mules. Backpacks, bicyckes, gunshots, llamas, the list is endless. People used to ask me if I could shoot off my mules. "Sure" I said, " I can shoot off all of them...once."

George Santayana
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 31 invisible), 2,206 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,499
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.