Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Probably the safest thing my mule does is go along with a rope under her tail.Harness work with a cripoer did that,but I ride with britching.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have croupers on my llama saddles. I don't like them and the llamas like them even less but they do work. Normally I leave them loose and laid over the back of the saddles until I'm going down something steep.
I'd like to replace them with britching but so far I haven't found any that will fit my saddles. I'm about ready to invent my own but they'll have to be nylon. I don't have any way of sewing leather.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Rock Chuck.I rigged an entire pack saddle with leather without sewing a stitch.Using leather strips,you can punch holes in the leather you would sew and string with the leather strips. Just as stronga s sewing.You can also heavy rivet the stress points. This saddle has been going strong for 35-40 years

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't need them to be nearly as strong as you'd need with mules. They'll be carrying a max of 100lb. They don't need padding, either, as their fleece protects their legs. The main thing is adjustability. Male llamas have their testicles sticking out the back so you have to be careful to keep straps away from them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I have croupers on my llama saddles. I don't like them and the llamas like them even less but they do work. Normally I leave them loose and laid over the back of the saddles until I'm going down something steep.
I'd like to replace them with britching but so far I haven't found any that will fit my saddles. I'm about ready to invent my own but they'll have to be nylon. I don't have any way of sewing leather.

Get a quality punch and a speedy stitcher. We've done that to repair leather. It's time consuming, but you can make it exactly as you want it, rather than adapting gear made for a different critter. Probably not a lot of commercial llama tack.

As Vince stated, you can rivet the stress points.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is my crew. 2 are out of Tennessee Walker mares and one out of a Fox Trotter mare and the one from a Quarter Horse mare.

They are a whole lot of fun to ride but there is a lot that can go wrong on top of 1300 lbs of muscle and bone with a mind of its own. I reckon they are less dangerous than running 4 wheelers in rough country.

Sharp shod with Drill Tex and snow pads they can stick to an icy hillside in places I have a hard time keeping my footing.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They all have distinct personalities (mulealities?) not to mention strengths and weaknesses. Lots of fun but the risks are real and even the best animals can hurt you if you screw up or are just unlucky.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't have anything to add, but I must say I have enjoyed reading this thread. Before I moved to Montana, I had been known to say " I can't see feeding a horse or mule, as long as you can buy gasoline." but I soon learned that there are places here that if you are to navigate, then horses or mules are about the only way to navigate.

Tim

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Do your mules like those myler combo bits better than a snaffle?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Those are good looking mules!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Those mules are proprietary.

lol.......

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Nice pics John!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dan_H
Do your mules like those myler combo bits better than a snaffle?

No but I sure do. laugh

Actually the combos can work like a snaffle and let you get the neck bent when they are voting for a different direction.

I get nervous in the hills with curb bits when the shanks are locked, especially on a horse with a light front end but with the broken shanks on the combos you do still have a lot of direct rein control and some curb when trying to use one hand while leading a string.

Overall I think it is a great bit on an animal that is used to some curb pressure and the nose band takes some of the under chin pressure off if someone gets too aggressive.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
John.

You need to roach those manes> laugh

I have one molly mule that I tried those bits on.Ends up,she fusses with every piece of metal I put in her mouth. Not bad, just annoying. I started her in a bosal, and now work her in a mechanical hackmore.She is a lot happier and I am for sure.
She goes down the trail now with her ears a floppin.

I know what you meant about them voting on things.

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/03/12.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I figured you might have a comment about the hippys I was riding and packing. grin

Next thing you know they will want to get Tattoos, but that is where I will draw the line.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used Myler bits after running into the Myler brothers several times. I played golf with one of them years ago when I still played golf. I found that a plain smooth snaffle worked fine for nearly everything. I have used hackamores on mules in a big arena to work on legs cues and seat bone cues.

A mule out of a Missouri Foxtrotter mare, was broke and good minded, but didn't have much of a handle. She liked to chase one of our geldings. I used to ride her with the mecate reins loose on her neck. Right before she was going to turn right chasing the horse, I would give her strong leg cues. Pretty soon she got much lighter. She would stop without touching her face just by sitting on the seat pockets and saying whoa. One spring day, she was frisky so we loped down the beach by a lake at high speed. I said whoa and gave her the cues. She left skid marks for many feet. Not bad for a mule with no handle. The mind of a mule is a like a lock that needs a key. You have to find the key and they are all different.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
B
B
I think saddele sore covers it very well ... he doesn not quite say it but there is a lot of hard knock experience speaking I would love to do a three week move every two or three days with this guy .... thats where the learning comes in... I hasve been to the mountains a couple of times chasing cariboo, alwlays with just horses... there has always been a minor wreck of two... swamps etc., no one ever got hurt, I know we were lucky.... age, lost partners, bad joints dont allow it any more, but I have not lost interest in hearing about it.....

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1936M71, 22250rem, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,478
Posts18,490,006
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.