Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have to agree with BobH here, as I often seem to find myself doing as I have experienced a blind mag. problem and a few bobbles with rifles due to gunk getting into the action. I simply use tuned, tested CRF rifles with VERY stout floorplates, prefer the Mod. 70 design latch and have not had an issue in many moons.

My favourites for the roughest use, are Brno ZG-47s and my Dakota 76, .338WM, which is nearly perfect, after one of Ralf Martini's outworkers customized it for me. This is Jan Kolenbrander and he is both a nice guy and a FINE 'smith.

I now kinda wish I had bought one of Darcy's magazine assemblies and had Jan and Ralf install that in the Dakota, making it a svelte 4+1 .338WM, my idea of "perfection" in a serious BC hunting-wilderness working rifle.

A well-tuned Mod. 70, Classic or P-64 is also a fine choice as are the excellent FN actions from "the good old days" and there are lots of them available.

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by AKHuck
Originally Posted by TI3006
PS, we found the bear dead shortly after we cleared the rifle but it was an exiting few minutes watching him move away while I fiddled with the jammed shell

Anyone think there's a lesson here?

Glad it worked out OK for you with the bear.

That it takes a special gunmaker to build a FTF for one of the easiest cycling cartridges ever made? :~)

Well, not quite...but you're right about easy cycling cartridges smile

What comes to my mind is if it won't feed certain bullets, fix it until it does or ditch it.It isn't worth shidt if it won't feed everything.At least know in advance what works.

Second,blind magazines eventually lead to rodeos like this.And bullets aren't the only things that cause jams.Function is everything.Other possibilities include debris,broken off plastic tips from bullets,ice,dirt,etc.In any event the ability to access a magazine from the bottom is a good thing.

Third, if floorplates pop open it's because (a)the design sucks;buy a good one that won't open (b)it's broken...fix it, or (c)you're a klutz and didn't close it properly.The guide who insists clients use duct tape on floorplates has no control over the crap his clients bring to hunt with.

Amazing to me that people condemn all floorplates based on lousy designs popping open on them.Don't they shoot them at the range to find problems and fix them before a hunt?

If it opens, it's broke.Fix it or buy one that works the way it's supposed to.

That was a black bear that ran the other way...funny to think if it had been brown bear going in the opposite direction.

Rant over. grin

If the mag latch is properly fitted, it won't come open. D'Arcy Echols fits a mag latch such that it won't open after a full mag of rounds are fired with the latch spring removed. If it's popping open, it's not fitted right.

I have a M-70 Stainless Classic .375 H&H that Redneck worked on. I can cycle a full mag of empty cases through the action as fast as I can work the bolt. Slick, no problems.

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
DF,

same with the 375 I just got back from Redneck. Tanner was kind enough to repost some pics a page or so back. tomorrow it goes out for NP3 on the bolt and internals as the receiver is CM and the barrel SS.

I keep thinking I want to build a companion in 3006 and may but this is a seriously good rifle.

The way life should be.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm waiting for D'Arcy to send me a Legend. I plan to cut the quite heavy 24" tube to 22" and mount NECG ramp and rear sights. I'll get a barrel band fitted and install a SS rear sling stud on the Legend.

I have a Zeiss Victory 1.5-6x42 T* I got from FOsteology. I'm going to mount it on this rifle with Weaver compatible QD rings, probably Warne or Leupold, using steel Warne bases.

I'll post photos when I get it put together.

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Looking forward to the pics. Mine comes in at a tad over 9lbs all up.

The way life should be.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have one of the early Caprivis in .375. Beautiful rifle, great wood, will shoot under an inch @ 100 yards with 300 grain Federal factory TSX, but doesn't like
270 grain bullets much.

Mine does not feed well with four rounds in the magazine, the stated capacity. Kimber service could not make it work and at SCI, one of the reps said "we know--they all do that." So I carry it with a round up and three rounds down and it works absolutely perfectly in that mode. IMO, it's a $6K rifle in overall quality for $3K.

Recently shot a new Winchester Safari in .375 that belonged to a friend. Accurate, excellent trigger, smooth action. A lot of rifle for the money.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
There are lots of good 375's out there that work well, the two Kimbers among them from what I hear but I have not shot them personally.

For me it's question of allocating resources and if I am going to part out with $3k+ to buy a 375H&H,I'll dig around for a pre 64 M70.It'll stay in wood long as I want it to,but the best thing is to drop another grand and stick it in an Echols Legend.

More expensive maybe,to be sure but as goof proof as it gets and will last a few lifetimes.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There are lots of good 375's out there that work well, the two Kimbers among them from what I hear but I have not shot them personally.

For me it's question of allocating resources and if I am going to part out with $3k+ to buy a 375H&H,I'll dig around for a pre 64 M70.It'll stay in wood long as I want it to,but the best thing is to drop another grand and stick it in an Echols Legend.

More expensive maybe,to be sure but as goof proof as it gets and will last a few lifetimes.

In my mind the 375 H&H (and also 300 H&H) have Model 70 written all over them.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I totally agree, have owned and extensively used three original P-64s in .375 and one re-tubed "shorty" on that action. I also have had four P-64s in .300 H&H and I found all of these to SHOOT and they just handle so well in field positions.

I would bet that, IF, Winny re-introduced these two made to early 1950's quality standards and with one of the unobtrusive 3-pos safety shrouds that has the recess for the bolt release tab and covers the gap at the end of the left raceway, they could sell all they could produce at 5-6 K per rifle. I wish they would. while I am good to go with my minty pair of Rimrock-stocked .375-.300 plus my custom "shorty", I know lOTS of guys who would buy these for hunting, which is what they are best used for.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,345
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.