Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Steve,

My No. 1 .303 shot very well with a number of loads, despite the loose bore and grooves. It especially liked the 180-grain .311 Sierra ProHunter and 48 grains of H4350 (a load that with .308 180's has also done real well in a couple of .30-40 Krags) but also shot well with the 150 .311 ProHunter and TSX too. All three bullets went under an inch with the right load.

I eventually sold my rifle, however, after realizing that if I ever hunt with a .303 again it will be with the "sporterized" LE inherited from my uncle.

IMR4350 and H4350 were my favourites with the 180s until they came out with Re 15 and Varget. If I ever get a No 1 in 303 British I'll have to work up some other loads. 48.0 grains must have been compressed.

Ellwood Epps used to say that you just fill a case full of 4350 or 4831 powder, stuff a bullet on top and you're good to go.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He would have known. Max charges of 4350 are determined by case capacity not pressure.

I am no celebrity or politician, but I do appreciate your 303 series of booklets and reccomend them to anyone who will listen.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks Randy. I appreciate the kind words.

Ellwood and Parker Ackley often flew by the seat of their pants. Today, we have improved technology, but their work was fundamental, and kept moving things forward.

In the end, its not always about PSI or high tech.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Again, thanks to all you folks for sharing info.

John, thanks again. I got a message from you last year regarding some of the loads that worked for you when I inquired as to whether your #1 had sold yet. And somewhere I believe I've actually got that issue stashed away. Oh, based on that article I just tonight ordered some of the Barnes TSX's to try also.

Steve, thank you and I just got notice that my copy of your book just shipped. I look forward to adding myself to such esteemed company as a Senator and a "noted" gunwriter.

I'm looking into a can of Varget, think I may have some of the other powders mentioned too. I'll try to remember to let everyone know how the loading/shooting turned out.

Much obliged to you all.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
You're very welcome Geno. It's fun to chat about reloading - not only about the technical side - but for the sheer enjoyment of putting cartridges together that will take game, are accurate, or both.

In life, we can get too hung up on numbers and forget the real reason we pursue this hobby. If it doesn't bring a smile to your face, then it just ain't worth it!

All the best.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,379 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,348
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.