-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just received a 10% off coupon in the mail from Cabelas and may buy an extra set of binoculars.

I have always like the Cabelas Euro's and the new Euro HD gets fantastic reviews. They are heavy though.

The new Zeiss Conquest HD's look nice and you can never go wrong with Zeiss quality and glass.

Any of you guys have any experience with either of these?

Any and all opinions are welcomed and appreciated

GB1

M
M
I have not seen either yet and am considering both of these as well as the newly updated Kahles 10x42.

One thing to note on the Zeiss is that they're currently offering a $100 rebate which is nice.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by motts

One thing to note on the Zeiss is that they're currently offering a $100 rebate which is nice.

With the rebate and coupon I'd be looking at about $800 for the Zeiss. The Euro's would be about $900

M
M
I did happen to read today some reviews on birdwatching.com where they tested various high end bins. The tests were for 8x42 so not sure how much that affects it. Also, the Meopta they used was the regular and not HD since it's not available in 8x. That being said, they ranked the Zeiss Conquest HD much higher on resolution and image quality. I'm not sure how much better the HD upgrade in the Meopta would affect that. Anyway, might be worth reading their thoughts on each. I also like Zeiss' new addition of the 5 year no Fault Warranty on the Conquest HD.

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2012highendbins/review.html

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a zeiss guy through and through, but I would go for the meopta's(Euro). I have compared and the only thing I have found better is the swaro's and not by much. Happy hunting.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
By the way, I presently own a set of meopta's non hd and they are fantastic. I have not looked through the new ones but have read many good reviews. I have done comparison with others and these are every bit as good if not better than most. Thanks.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by gunchamp
I'm a zeiss guy through and through, but I would go for the meopta's(Euro). I have compared and the only thing I have found better is the swaro's and not by much. Happy hunting.

I have regular Meopta 7x42 and they don't give up anything to most binos. The conquest is a drop down in glass quality from Zeiss's excellent alpha binos.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Drum, I don't know if you read a previous post I made on this, so here I go again. I had an aoudad hunter show up in camp this past March with the Euro HD 10x42. I've been using a Swaro SLC HD for a year and a half now ($1450 NIB from LL Bean). I consider it to be the finest hunting binocular ever made. One luxury I get is that I get to play with a whole bunch of different optics that hunters who up with. I'm not a techno geek optics evaluator, but I can tell you after 4 days with him and his glass, the Euro HD is very close optically to the SLC HD. I like the ergos of the Swaro better. The one thing I do not care for on the Euros/Meopta is the diopter adjustment. I do not like the way it just sticks out there, and doesn't really lock into place. It does take a little effort to move it, but I can see how it could possible move inadvertently. Fantastic glass and extremely well built. As to the Conquest HD, I haven't seen one yet, but I always wonder when the euro guys come out with a "cut rate" bino. I'm a born skeptic, so first thing that goes through my mind is "where did they cut corners to get the price down'? We're either getting the screws put to us by them when they charge $2k+ for their primo stuff, or they're really cutting corners by giving us cheaper $1000 stuff. Probably some of both.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Drummond I really dont think you can go wrong either way. Both companies will back their products if you ever have a issue. Go look at them both and take the one that looks the best to you. If you cant go look at them both order them both look them over and then return the other. Cabelas has great CS. Oh yea. Helicopter must die. LOL

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The extra weight of the 10x meopta may not be a bad thing.

From the bulk of the reviews I have seen when the two are compared the Conquest has more distortion near the edges and more CA but is brighter and just as sharp as the meopta HD.

If you were not buying from cabelas I would direct you to a lightly used or demo Zeiss victory FL as they seem to be very easy to find in the $1200 price range. Best bino for the money at this time.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have Conquest 8x30's and Meopta 7x42's, neither HD. The Meopta's easily outclass the Conquest binos for clarity, brightness, and resolution. Easily. I forgot my Meopta's at home one day this past turkey season, and I have the Conquests in the glove box in the truck, so I took them. They are ok, but I sure missed my Meostars when the sun was setting in the woods....

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The simple way to decide this would be to buy both with a credit card and try them out. After a few days, send back the one you don't like. I know from my own experience you can do this with not just binoculars, but anything you buy from Cabela's.
For me, I'd think hard about the extra ruggedness that are built into the Euro's as well as their extra weight.
Be sure and try them out at extended ranges. That's where they are needed the most. E

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Eremicus
The simple way to decide this would be to buy both with a credit card and try them out. After a few days, send back the one you don't like.

But the we wouldn't have anything to talk about grin

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
But... but we would. You can tell us how good/bad or indifferent the newest HD's are ! E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
usually the bargain cave is loaded with the cabelas branded meoptas, if I wanted one I would get if from the bargain cave.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You telling me the Euros are too heavy for your big a$$? LOL
They are great glass-built to last and priced right. To me Zeiss isn't what they used to be quality wise.
Pick up some 10x50SLC swaros as a backup off of ebay

30incher

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
You may want to check and see if the zeiss rebate will still be valid if your receipt shows you already go them at a discounted price.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1234, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,403
Posts18,488,921
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.