Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Made in 1902 almost perfect condition,Walnut grips, I can get pictures up sometime tonight. I picked it up from a yard sale from a older lady who's husband passed away today, I knew it was worth a lot so I gave her $2300 cash. I have searched tell my head was blue. It is original, I was thinking about sending it to colt to get it verified.

Real offers only please. Will ship.

Last edited by JoeAdams777; 06/08/12.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only driven on Sunday?

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
[Linked Image]

Offer me anything.

P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Unfortunately, IMO, you probably paid a premium for it. It has been re-blued. I also, don't believe the grips are original, but hard to tell from the pic. Are there any numbers stamped on the inside of the grips??

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JoeAdams777
Made in 1902 almost perfect condition,Walnut grips, I can get pictures up sometime tonight. I picked it up from a yard sale from a older lady who's husband passed away today, I knew it was worth a lot so I gave her $2300 cash. I have searched tell my head was blue. It is original, I was thinking about sending it to colt to get it verified.

Real offers only please. Will ship.

She had a yard sale the same day her husband died? Did she throw in some socks and boots.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by PSH
Unfortunately, IMO, you probably paid a premium for it. It has been re-blued. I also, don't believe the grips are original, but hard to tell from the pic. Are there any numbers stamped on the inside of the grips??

You can tell that it was re blued from those bad pics???Damn your good. crazy

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Did you post it on the colt forum? You will get an opinion there on originality.

NRA Life Member 1969
OGCA
US Army 1954-1956
P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Yes, the pics could be a whole bunch better, under natural light, however, based on what I am seeing in the pics that were posted, it appears to me to have been re-blued. I'm certainly not opposed to changing my opinion, if there was something more to base it on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
might be a good fake too.....

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I usually don't weigh in on idiocy that I see here but PSH there is absolutely NO WAY you can determine if this firearm was re-blued from those pics. NONE.

Now it may or may not have been refinished but you are taking a hunch and calling it fact until proven wrong on a For Sale thread....Very bad form indeed.

Bruz

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Letting us know the caliber, bore condition, etc. would be nice, tho.

A suggestion. JMO, but that kind of gun for that kind of money is worth a factory letter.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bruzer
I usually don't weigh in on idiocy that I see here but PSH there is absolutely NO WAY you can determine if this firearm was re-blued from those pics. NONE.

Now it may or may not have been refinished but you are taking a hunch and calling it fact until proven wrong on a For Sale thread....Very bad form indeed.

Bruz
PSH has a history of f*cking stupidity: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...060671/Re_Shipping_a_handgun#Post6060671

He is yet another of the self-important socially inept attention seekers; a self-absorbed [bleep] who seems to know nothing about everything, yet believes in his empty little head and limited public interaction that he is the single most interesting person in the universe. He often posts some of the most ignorant f*cking bullshit and believes himself to be the greatest living prophet since Buddha and Jesus Christ.

And FYI, PSH, when you hear the groans of "Jesus Christ" everytime you pontificate some of your horseshit "thoughts," no one is comparing you to Him as much as everyone is begging to be rid of YOU.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

When I replied to this the images are huge, and in my opinion there is the typical line on the cylinder indicative of a lot of use, and it is blue, not bare steel. Also the screws on the sideplate are buggered, and either touch up blued, or the whole gun has been reblued. You will also see the colt emblem is weak, like someone over removed metal or polished it partially away, and I even see signs of pitting under a reblue job.

Try doing a reply using the "QUOTE" button and you will see closeups, and decide for yourself.

My thought is, it has been reblued. My 2 cents worth

Allen

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by hemiallen
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

When I replied to this the images are huge, and in my opinion there is the typical line on the cylinder indicative of a lot of use, and it is blue, not bare steel. Also the screws on the sideplate are buggered, and either touch up blued, or the whole gun has been reblued. You will also see the colt emblem is weak, like someone over removed metal or polished it partially away, and I even see signs of pitting under a reblue job.

Try doing a reply using the "QUOTE" button and you will see closeups, and decide for yourself.

My thought is, it has been reblued. My 2 cents worth

Allen
YEP, over pd a bunch

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
try the quote thing, he might be onto sumptin....

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I also see, in the closeup of the left side, what looks like hints of color case finish on the frame, which I think it should be?

I think the scratch line on the cylinder and reblued-buggered screws are enough for me to be suspicious of a possible reblue, but pictures can be misleading.

Allen

P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
LOL, yeah, should be blued with the case hardened frame. I too thought that maybe I could see a hint of case hardening, but on the right side of the frame, but as I looked at the pics, I also noted that there appeared to be a bit of this same coloring on the cylinder as well, which would not be correct. I too saw the pitting on the left side of the frame in the crappy pics, and it also appeared that there was bluing over the top of it.

Make the pics bigger and you'll also see the barrel has the same odd color as other parts of the pistol, doesn't look like the typical Colt blue to me. On some of the SAA's, the lower portion of the circle around the rampant Colt can be weak due to the stamp beginning to wear out at the factory, however, the upper portion was typcially strong, and it does appear to be weak in this case.

With my initial post, I should have said, "appears" to have been reblued. Yes, pics aren't the best, but based on everything I was seeing, I was 99% certain that it had been reblued, and I wouldn't pay that kind of cash for what I was seeing. If someone likes it, then by all means, buy it, wasn't trying to turn this into a pissin match, just pointing out what I saw.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I'll take it.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

I'll take it.

Sorry but I sold that locally about a week ago.

Last edited by JoeAdams777; 08/10/12.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (44automag, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 673, 907brass, 16 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,482
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.