Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sask Hunter
One of the writers you might find interesting is Andy Russell who was born around 1900 (roughly) and lived and worked on the BC/Alberta border or thereabouts. A guide, hunter and rancher, his hunting stories are well written and interesting.
Three Against the Wilderness by Eric Collier is a true story about early Canadian homesteaders in the bush.
Bella Coola Man, and other books by Clayton Mack are written about his experiences in British Columbia as a hunter and guide- fascinating, at least to me.
Royce

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The Old Man and the Boy by Robert Ruark
The Old Man's Boy Grows Older by Robert Ruark

By the way the house of his grandfather that is so central to these books is still standing. The town of Southport is just north of Myrtle Beach, SC and just south of Wilmington, NC.

Also a great read are any of the Peter Hathaway Capstick "Death" series of books.

If you want something more substantial I suggest either "Something of Value" or "Uhruhu" both by Ruark. One of the books was made into a movie with Sidney Portier.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Royce, Andy Russell is not bad, I have Horns in the High Country and have read some others by him

I need to get some more robert raurk books. I had the old man and the boy and horn of the hunter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Year-Long-Day by A.E. Maxwell and Ivar Ruud. It's about Ruud's experiences spending the winter in the Arctic, hunting Polar Bears. The encouters he has with them will keep you reading through the night. It did me.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a hunting or shooting book but one I read recently and really enjoyed was:

The Gun

by C. J. Chivers

An in depth study of the AK-47 and AR-15. It's well written, informative and an interesting read. It covers the the devolopement and history of both weapons and how they have changed history.

Terry

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I would second the recommendation for "Year Long Day", one of my favorite books of all time and I re-read it at least once a year. Although he is allowed to shoot a number of bears during a season, the book is so much more than just about that. Basically one man ALONE trapping in the remote Arctic. His observations about the natural world and his depending on no one but himself are very well and simply stated.
elkjaeger

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Hogeye
I strongly recommend the two books about "The Ghost and the Darkness". The movie wasn't much, but the books are darned good reading.

"The Lions of Tsavo" was written by Bruce Patterson in 1907. Patterson was an English railroad builder who had to kill a pair of maneaters with a .303 or whatever he could borrow to get construction resumed on a railway in Africa. The Indian laborers were so afraid (and justifiably so) that no work was being done. The lions were called "The Ghost" and "The Darkness" because you never saw them. Your tentmate just got grabbed out through the door, and you could hear him scream and bone crunch just outside the door.

"The Maneaters of Tsavo" was written by J. H. Patterson (no relation IIRC) a few years ago, about his safari in the same area. The group was asked by the natives to take out a lion, possibly a descendant of one of the 1907 pair, who was eating them as a regular part of his diet. The PH accepted before Patterson had a chance to even think about whether he really wanted to do this, so there he was - a lion hunter whether he wanted to be or not, just like the earlier Patterson.

I think you have the authors and title/descriptions switched around.

He went over yonder way
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Consider Tom Turpin's book "�Custom Rifles: Mastery of Wood and Metal�. Or look at these books: http://www.gundigest.com/custom-guns

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Three Against the Wilderness is indeed a great read. I might have to reread my copy now.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob257,

I must tell a story about New York publishers I heard from Charlie Waterman, one of the best hunting and fishing writers who ever existed. Charlie once wrote a book about the history of hunting, and mentioned "buffalo chips" in the chapter about bison, in reference to many commercial hide hunters burning dried buffalo manure for fuel.

The copy editor of his book was a middle-aged woman who wore reading glasses on a chain around her neck. Charlie was in the NY office one day (something Charlie preferred to avoid) and after carefully placing her glasses on top of her hairdo, she asked: "What exactly are these, ah, buffalo chips?"

Charlie explained, as delicately as he could. Whereupon the woman said, "Wouldn't it be more precise to call them bison feces?"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Interesting story about Charles Waterman. I read his Hunter's World as a teenager, best christmas present I ever got. That book did a great deal on getting me hopelessly addicted to hunting and the outdoors in general.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's the Book I mentioned earlier.
Alaska's Wolfman

One about the hunt for the Mad Trapper that was the loose basis for the Lee Marvin/Charles Bronson movie "Death Hunt". Whoever the trapper really was, He was a tough SOB and a helluva' outdoors man.

Mad Trapper

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SmokeEater2
Here's the Book I mentioned earlier.
Alaska's Wolfman

I have read that book a few times. One of my favorites! He was a rifle nut as well..

Semper Fi
P
P
UNBROKEN

By Laura Hillenbrand

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, UNBROKEN is a fantastic read. But we should have expected that, since her first book was SEABISCUIT.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Going Ballistic John Nosler Sr

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Many here might get a kick out of reading:

Oh No! We're Gonna Die--Bob Bell (bush pilot)

http://www.amazon.com/Oh-Were-Gonna-Die-Wilderness/dp/1578333407

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Alaskan Adventure by Jay Williams is a good read on early Alaska, 1900 thru the 40s.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 65 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,190
Posts18,503,409
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.