Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4th_point
I do not work for them.
But have used them for a very long time.
The short eye relief on the fixed scopes is a hold over from days gone by. ...At one time all S&Bs,variables and fixed, had 3.14 eye relief.
Around 1999/2000 they developed a larger rear ocular and bumped eye relief up to 3.75 ..where it is today.
This took forever for them to get done.
Back in that time frame,when they first came out, they called there hunting scopes, "dangerous game scopes" on models so equipped.Eventually all variables got converted to the longer eye relief and the fixed never did.
Its pretty much that simple.
S&B had to be "talked" into it. You have to understand.They use a heads up type of shooting style and they hunt at night.That short eye relief works rather well [bleep] around in the dark, provided your not running a cannon.They actually think short eye relief is better.There a Euro company of squareheads.They dont think, hunt, or work like we do.They really dont understand the american market very well.They only make one product.Rifle scopes.There actually pretty small compared to Zeiss and Swaro.
The one campfire myth I see all the time on here is that.Fixed power scopes hold up better than variables.
I think thats a pretty true statment as long as your talking about leupold.
You can talk to Bob about usuing A S&B.And the then going back and usuing something else.There build quality is off the chart.

dave.

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm no optics expert, but the S&B Summit is the best variable scope I have ever owned.I'm glad I bought mine before the price spiked to 2 grand.There are no eye relief issues.It'll go on a 300 mag or 375H&H with no problem.These scopes are heirloom quality,but expensive.Optically the only thing close is a Kahles.

I trust Leupold fixed power scopes;I have two rifles with leupold variables that are well behaved,so far.But they aren't on rifles that get shot a lot or kick much.I only check zero annually and go hunting.These rifles are known commodities and trustworthy...And I don't spin turrets.

If I were Tanner, I'd get a 6X Leupold.Well suited for his country and hunting,tough,and affordable.

Just a side note; a pal walks the line at registered shoots back here to see what scopes guys are running.These match people shoot a lot more than any 10 hunters,and get pissed off over gear failure and dropped shots.It is all Nightforce and some Sightrons.

I know hunters needs are different sometimes from target/match shooters,and we want "light weight" and balance,and affordable.For hunters that also shoot a lot(a couple thousand rounds a year?) I'd go fixed power.I'll take mechanical reliability over optical perfection any day of the week.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my 1000 yard matches I see alot of nightforce. I just bought one myself.At Ridgway its Nightforce,Sightron,And Leupold in that order.
And your right Bob.We shoot alot.I've logged 906 rounds on my Obermeyer barrel since last sept.
For a young guy like tanner and all that runnen and jumpen.
http://swfa.com/Zeiss-3-9x40-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P608.aspx

I'd get off the loopie tread mill before I got stuck someplace in the middle of nowhere with a dead scope.
He was actually luckey his took a crap at home.

dave

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I guess other scopes just don't break

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tanner is that scope w/Turrets?

I'd look hard at a 6x36 or 6x33 w/CDS for a Kimber. The size/weight would IMHO be a better fit, though if you love variables, nothing wrong w/a VX2 2-7 or a VX3 2.5-8, both also fairly light/compact, preserving rifle balance.

Alot of choices are no doubt well made, Conquest and S&B, the latter no doubt out of reach for many wallets.

Keep us posted.

IC B2

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It does indeed have the Target turrets, which I really enjoy. I'd love to grab a 3-9 Conquest with target turrets, but I'm unsure if such a thing exists.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Regarding fixed vs variable, most of my scopes are variable Vari X IIIs. Roughly 10 years ago I decided to try the ever popular fixed 6. It was the first Leup that failed me. Within a year something inside broke. When shook the scope sounded like a rattler. The blow came from a 7lb all up 338-06.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
dave & bob,

Thanks for the S&B info and feedback.

Jason

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tanner, my thoughts were keeping the scope trim w/the little Kimber you are running.

The CDS can be had in 1/4 MOA clicks if that's how you want to run it. For hunting I'd not want anything finer.

Per Zeiss, I believe there is an option for a turret or retro-fit, someone else can confirm/clarify.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I looked into getting a Conquest with an exposed turret knob. Zeiss offers some Conquest models with target turrets. If it has hunter turrets, you can send it to Zeiss and they will install target turrets and its not very expensive IIRC.

I'm not sure if the target turret on the Conquest has a way to count revs though. Seem to remember them not having line markings. You might be able to make a zero-stop if you're willing to play around with shims.

Once you have target turrets on a Conquest, you can get custom knobs from Kenton.

Last edited by 4th_point; 08/18/12.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point
dave & bob,

Thanks for the S&B info and feedback.

Jason

U R welcome

dave

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Leupold failures? So common it is no secret at all. Most people that actually shoot rifles a lot as in benchrest will not be quiet on this subject of Leupold failures. It always comes down to the same old thing that Leupold refuses to address. Spring failure on the erector tube. That's why Cecil Tucker has been doing a spring up grade for years...

dave

Some of the bench rest shooters have also had their loopy erector assembly frozen in place and utilize external W&E controls.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
True.
Cecil Tucker is still around.
Have a scope there right now getting converted.
He has upped his game as well.
Now you can lock up the Tucker conversion.
Hes added an out right lock, to lock down the erector.
Should be interesting.

dave

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by dave7mm
True.
Cecil Tucker is still around.
Have a scope there right now getting converted.
He has upped his game as well.
Now you can lock up the Tucker conversion.
Hes added an out right lock, to lock down the erector.
Should be interesting.

dave

How did he manage to lock the erector down and not move it at all?

It only takes a tiny bit of movement to translate to a big correction on the target.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tanner
It does indeed have the Target turrets, which I really enjoy. I'd love to grab a 3-9 Conquest with target turrets, but I'm unsure if such a thing exists.

Hey Tanner...

Yes, it exists. For $65/per Zeiss will put a target turret on a 3-9 Conquest. They do not sport a zero stop nor is there a way to visually indicate revolutions; for that reason they are not ideal for REALLY long range stuff. However, the Conquest scopes do have a bunch of MOA per rev so they'll get you out to 700+ in that first revolution. And it's not like they won't keep going; you just need to be cognizant of what rev you are on.

I like the lil' stock turret a bunch by the way. Put a sticker on it, put some yardage marks on it.... presto, a custom turret! grin

Are you sure you have the Target turrets on your Leup? They are very tall. I had them on a 6-18...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
They're definitely target knobs!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Hey Tanner...

Yes, it exists. For $65/per Zeiss will put a target turret on a 3-9 Conquest. They do not sport a zero stop nor is there a way to visually indicate revolutions; for that reason they are not ideal for REALLY long range stuff. However, the Conquest scopes do have a bunch of MOA per rev so they'll get you out to 700+ in that first revolution. And it's not like they won't keep going; you just need to be cognizant of what rev you are on.

I like the lil' stock turret a bunch by the way. Put a sticker on it, put some yardage marks on it.... presto, a custom turret! grin

Are you sure you have the Target turrets on your Leup? They are very tall. I had them on a 6-18...

They are very good turrets, but they're only $50 per, plus $15 return shipping wink

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
when they put the target turrets on a conquest, do they change it to a set-screw retention on the turret? The original turret is held in place by spring tension.... you can lift it to index it. I like the conquest a lot..... but I don't really dig any of the turret options.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Hey Tanner...

They are very good turrets, but they're only $50 per, plus $15 return shipping wink

Some guys might just add them together and say $65..... whistle

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
when they put the target turrets on a conquest, do they change it to a set-screw retention on the turret? The original turret is held in place by spring tension.... you can lift it to index it. I like the conquest a lot..... but I don't really dig any of the turret options.

They have a large slot screw on the top. You zero the rifle, unscrew the screw, lift the turret, then set it back down aligned. It's got very fine serrations that key it into place, so it's not just the screw friction holding it in place.

Leupold wins for turret options, hands down.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 22kHornet, 2500HD, 52 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,571
Posts18,510,737
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.