Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ColdBore
Originally Posted by Karnis
I can't tell, but if your barreled action is sitting on an aluminum bedding block you need to skim bed it. NO metal to metal fit.

Bed the recoil lug and everything else tight. Did I mention to bed it tight and no metal to metal contact?

Respectfully disagree.

I have a M700 VS (HS Precision stock).

It is not bedded, has metal to metal contact, and regularly shoots in the 1/2 MOA range. It is "as-issued" by the Remington factory.

I also have others (VS/PSS, same stock style), that I have skim bedded, on a recommendation.

I certainly can't tell a difference.

Glad it shoots like that.

I'll never do that on a rifle though. Not a bedding block on the planet that fits a barreled action as well as one that is bedded.

Been awhile since I purchased an HS stock. IIRC they include a packet of "epoxy" to skim bed it.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check the bullet & case neck concentricity?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree 100% with Safariman and Karnis when it come to the bedding of your rifle, so I wont repeat it. The only thing I can add is that I bed the action as well.

Mule Deer and Eremicus covered the scope, and that may well be the problem also.

PacNor makes excellent barrels, but I would make certain that the chamber is concentric with the bore. Use a Borescope to inspect the leade and make sure that the throat and lands are absolutely square to each other. If it isnt, it will be easily seen.

The only way I have found to make a rifle with a crooked chamber shoot is to full length size the brass, and jam the bullet into the lands, If the only contact points are the boltface and rifling, they seem to straighten up and start shooting. This can obviously be a problem with a hunting rifle having the bullets jammed.

I have also seen uneven lug contact, and even a burr on the action shoulder/barrel contact cause some goofy groups.

One of these things will be the answer to your problem. FL sizing the brass and seating into the lands doesnt cost anything, (unless you dont have a FL die), rebedding the action and swapping scopes only takes time, so you should be able to find the cause and be able to fix it.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
The first thing I would do is scrub the barrel really well and ditch the moly, some barrels just don't like the stuff. If you get it shooting OK without the moly then you can start playing with it again, right now it just adds another variable.

Golly Gee, Benchrest hall of famer Walt Berger must be wrong then..... Who knew?

I use Moly by the metric tonload and it always helps with my rifles.

Kidding aside, I seriously doubt that Moly has the slightest to do with any of this.

Lighten up.

I never said rifles couldn't shoot great with moly, obviously many do. He's trying to solve a problem and the moly adds another variable to account for plus he only shot five uncoated bullets down the brand new barrel before starting the moly, it's not even close to broken in yet. The first thing to do when trying to isolate a problem is reduce as many variables as possible. I've used moly before myself and it will occasionally make a difference in how a load shoots and the velocities. I don't use it now because I didn't find it offered enough benefit for the work it required, no skin off my back if someone wants to use it, go for it.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Silly but any chance you have another set of dies? Not enough clearance for the barrel to float? Targets looks like your barrel may be hitting. Your stuff is consistently inconsistent. Either that or full bed the the barrel... That's a #$^@#^ head scratcher right there...

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by RDW

When I say clearance, it was one or two layers of masking tape on the bottom, sides and front; is this too much clearance? Likely not enough rather than too much........stocks will easily move that much under fire

MM

Should have clarified..............intended the comment to be concerning barrel clearance in the barrel channel. But on everything but a Mauser, I do not the bed barrel forward the recoil lug face.

As for the lug itself, as MD says, it works both ways, so since it does, I mostly bed it tight with no tape clearance anywhere on the lug.

Sorry about not making it more clear............my fingers outraced by brain.

MM

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by woofer
Silly but any chance you have another set of dies? Not enough clearance for the barrel to float? Targets looks like your barrel may be hitting. Your stuff is consistently inconsistent. Either that or full bed the the barrel... That's a #$^@#^ head scratcher right there...

W

I don't think anyone mentioned ammo quality and concentricity until sgtsmmiii and you.

I would recommend getting a gadget to check run out. My favorite is the Sinclair, but there are others. The TruTool is my favorite straightener and it's been discussed before.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ColdBore
I can't tell, but if your barreled action is sitting on an aluminum bedding block you need to skim bed it. NO metal to metal fit.

Bed the recoil lug and everything else tight. Did I mention to bed it tight and no metal to metal contact?

Respectfully disagree.

I have a M700 VS (HS Precision stock).

It is not bedded, has metal to metal contact, and regularly shoots in the 1/2 MOA range. It is "as-issued" by the Remington factory.

I also have others (VS/PSS, same stock style), that I have skim bedded, on a recommendation.

I certainly can't tell a difference.

Glad it shoots like that.

I'll never do that on a rifle though. Not a bedding block on the planet that fits a barreled action as well as one that is bedded.

Been awhile since I purchased an HS stock. IIRC they include a packet of "epoxy" to skim bed it.

I swore off HS products after they hired Lon Horiuchi as their sniper consultant. That was their choice, this is my choice.

I have an HS rifle that I traded for, used. HS didn't make a dime off this deal. I skim bedded the stock whether it needed it or not. It made me feel better.

HS stocks are bull stout, but too think and heavy, IMHO. Not my favorite handle, not my favorite company... frown

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crow Hunter,

Sometimes when my pain is high or I get into a pizzin match elsewhere I can sound a little too wound up over here. Now feelin light as a butterfly!

Truth be told, I have quit on the Moly with all of my over 25 cal stuff due mostly to plain laziness.

Point is well put and taken.

Hope you kill a truckload of Crows this fall.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I amen checking bullet runout. From my experience, your groups would seem to be consistent with ammo that just isn't straight. I would also shoot five shot groups as you can reduce the confusion of the luck factor.

IC B3

RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I woke up at 6:00 and had one three shot cappuccino in lieu of three and started thinking about the bedding. I left a small portion of Devcon shown by the yellow outline; in the process of drilling out the bolt holes yesterday, I tore up the skim coat of Devcon on the bedding block.

I thought there might be a chance the small about of bedding in the stock could put upward pressure on the barrel so I went to the garage and used the die grinder and flap disc to remove it.

[Linked Image]

A few minutes before I was ready to leave I looked at the mag box again, I could see a small gap between the mag box and bottom metal but one corner looked close. So I tore it apart again and wet sanded the mag box with 400gr wet or dry on the kitchen counter. After I tightened the bottom metal I could clearly see a gap all the way around the mag box.

I grabbed the Cooper and decided I should bring some 155 Scenar's, I had six seated long for testing a while back so I seated them to 2.810" and hauled ass.

There was a light breeze at my back and it was overcast and cool, I fired the first three and even though this is a proven .500" load I fired a .980", took a few swigs of soda, a few deep breaths and fired the .690"...not ideal, however, there were no shooter or scope induced flyers.

[Linked Image]

I grabbed the 260 and fired one shot at a 2" dot to see if removing the bedding caused any major issues and the shot was 1/2" high and dead center.

I followed up with this group, I can't remember the order but damned if I didn't have the same [bleep] again, 2 in .410" and 3 in 1.630".

[Linked Image]

I didn't waste any time and grabbed the Cooper and got really pissed when I realized I didn't have the Talley wrench, luckily I found the right size torx screwdriver in the door of the pickup, I have no clue why it was there but I got lucky. I fired one shot at the 2" dot, adjusted the Zeiss 6" up and left 1.5" and fired these two groups. I moved the scope 6 clicks to the right between these groups, the reason why the point of impact changed.

[Linked Image]

The wind started picking up a bit so I fired this group at 200 and was quite pleased with shots 1-3. While the rifle was cooling a guy showed up and almost demanded I move because he needed to shoot at 200. I told him he would have to wait and fired shots 4-6, the wind had picked up to 5-10 mph hour and switching between 5-7 o'clock. I fired those shots fairly quickly and don't remember the order and never checked the flag and it shows.

[Linked Image]

I stayed at the 200 yard seat to be a dick and fired a three shot group, triangular and about 1" so I decided to shoot my last three at the same target, .976" shooting fairly quickly with minimal cooling.

[Linked Image]

I will send the Zeiss back to have it checked out and continue working on loads with 120-123gr bullets. At least for now I have what appears to be one good load to play with.

Thanks for all of the help!!!

Dave

RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In response to several people asking about concentricity, I have not checked loads with this set of Redding Comp dies, but I have borrowed a friends gauge and the other sets in 6mm, 308, 300WSM and 270WSM produce .001-.003 bullet runout.

Dave

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Redding Comp dies should produce some of the most concentric rounds, especially reloading fired cases, not counting starting with new ones. Your runout seems to be Kosher. A runout gauge is a nice thing to have in the shop. You don't know until you know...

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Forget the "clearance". Bed it tight, degrease screws and loctite them at about 50 in/lbs.

Check the front screw on your bases. It may be too long and be contacting the barrel threads. If it is, you will see the indentation on the top of the barrel threads-flat shiny spots.

Make sure the mag box is seated properly and not bound up in the mortise. I usually grind off .020 on all mag boxes.

Looks like the rear action screw may need to clearance so the screw itself is not contacting any portion of the pillar or bedding.

The problem is similar to two-grouping. Either the barreled action and bedding or the base screws are causing the problem.

Bet you a box of bullets I'm right.

RDW: where you located?

Last edited by Karnis; 08/19/12.
RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I opened up the action bolt holes yesterday and clearanced the mag box this morning. These are three shot groups from this morning and I believe the issue was the scope.

Thanks for the help!

[Linked Image]

Dave

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Mo better, for sure... cool

DF

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Had the same experiences with mine Coldbore. All glass bedding the action area did was close up the gaps. Rifle shot the same as it always did.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I swore off HS products after they hired Lon Horiuchi as their sniper consultant. That was their choice, this is my choice.

Could not agree more.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by KDK
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Could not agree more.

I think hiring Lon was a slap in the face to American hunters and citizens. I know the FBI (and govt. bureaucrats) routinely reward bad behavior. It gives them justification that their management actions were (are) somehow Kosher, even though the Ruby Ridge debacle cost us (taxpayers) millions in civil damages.

Then for HS to embrace this fearless Hawaiian as their role model and consultant was just too much for me. HS stuff is good, just not THAT good, IMHO.

I think HS is making plenty of money with govt. contract sniper weapons and pressure barrels for the industry, and they aren't that concerned about us.

I vote with my pocket book. They may live to regret thumbing their noses at us and my memory is pretty good. Those big govt. contracts come and go... blush

DF

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
when mine throw a flier it usually means OAL is close but not right on.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1234, 51 invisible), 3,147 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,670
Posts18,534,157
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.