Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've got a 10 year old Cabela's Gore-Tex jacket that's still as waterproof as a Trojan latex.

Well, as far as that's concerned, I coulda named my first son "Trojan Fail"... so far your comparison ain't making me a future Gore-Tex customer here...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Day 2 of Brown Bear hunting on Admiralty Island, drying wet gear...

[Linked Image]

Black bear hunting, North of Ketchikan a couple years later, Helly Hansen raingear...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had good luck with gore-tex boots. Been wearing boots with it since it came out and I had one pair of inexpensive fabric hiking boots leak. None others.

Wore a pair of these for 13 hunting seasons without a single wet foot, and GA gets above average rainfall

http://www.militaryboots.com/mens-danner-grouse.

Replaced them with these, on year 5 now, still haven't had a wet foot unless I stepped in water deeper than the boots.

http://www.militaryboots.com/mens-danner-8-desert-acadia/mojave-olive

Lots of bargains now on surplus military boots if you don't mind the color. I paid $130 for these. My first pair cost $165 back in the early 90's

Can't say about the jackets, but I've walked many miles through wet grass, woods and crossed thousands of streams with dry feet

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a Gore-tex dry suit that I use for rafting in the winter and spring. I can guarantee that I get more water on me than anyone in a rain storm.

I stay dry as a bone. It's all about the seams and construction.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've used a lot of Gore-Tex in a lot of rain. It WILL leak, especially once the factory water repellent wears off.

Where gore-tex shines is when you need decent rain protection that breathes. My ski jacket is gore-tex; I need the breathability and I don't ski in a constant rain.

For waterPROOF I use Rivers West. That'll raise some hackles. Works for me. Not breathable though.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If it can pool, it will leak. I don't give a crap about fishing guides in dry ass Orogone.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JMR40
I've had good luck with gore-tex boots. Been wearing boots with it since it came out and I had one pair of inexpensive fabric hiking boots leak. None others....
I've stood in wet, sloppy snow all day in Gore-tex boots and stayed dry. That's not to say WARM, however. The Gore-tex booty is inside the insulation. When the insulation gets soaked, it's like standing in ice water wearing nothing but a plastic bag over the feet. They're dry but COLD.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by KCBighorn
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The Gore-tex lovers have not lived where it really rains.

Surprised it took this long for this to come up...

I live in Oregon, it "really" rains here.

I've fished for steelhead in coastal streams in Oregon, Washington, and BC. The majority of fisherman I've seen in my travels were wearing Gore Tex waders and jackets, and they were dry too.

Simms waders and Guide jackets or Patagonia waders and their SST jacket is standard gear for many guides in Oregon, Washington, BC, and AK.

Helly Hansen, Grundens, Dutch Harbor Gear, has it's place, but high quality Gore Tex can and does keep wise men dry in many places where it "really" rains.

IMHO you have to baby goretex so much, and even then if kept clean and washed etc... and top quality, but you get ground contact, IE sitting down, leaning against a tree, it simply cannot work correctly by its design.

Its good for light stuff. But in all out rain places is where we've also see top line IE expensive and clean goretex not cut it. I sure ain't ever gonna trust if for 10 days in a row either.

IMHO there is no such thing as breathable rain gear. And if goretex was such, I suspect you'd see the crab fishers etc... wear it on the boats... but you know what they wear.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by JMR40
I've had good luck with gore-tex boots. Been wearing boots with it since it came out and I had one pair of inexpensive fabric hiking boots leak. None others....
I've stood in wet, sloppy snow all day in Gore-tex boots and stayed dry. That's not to say WARM, however. The Gore-tex booty is inside the insulation. When the insulation gets soaked, it's like standing in ice water wearing nothing but a plastic bag over the feet. They're dry but COLD.

I haven't owned insulated boots in years. That may be why I've never had the issue you have had. I know it gets colder in Idaho than Ga. but I've hunted in the snow at 8000 ft in Colorado and down into single digits on occasion here. Teens are very common in the mountains here. I've found a quality pair of gore-tex boots with the fabric panels breathe so much better that my feet don't sweat. All of the insulated boots I've owned caused sweat walking in, then cold feet when sitting.

For my uses, and how and where I hunt, I'm sold on the Danners in the above link.

I cannot comment on the gore-tex jackets except to say that if it works in boots, it should work in a jacket. The only boots I ever had leak were an inexpensive pair made in China. I'm lead to believe it is more a QC thing in assembley than a problem with gore-tex.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I washed my gear in detergent made for gore-tex and wind stopper lined garments. I used a wash-in waterproofing and dried the jackets in the dryer with low heat. After drying I sprayed them with waterproofing. One type you spray and either iron or heat in a dryer to set it. The other is Penguin waterproofing spray. My military issue jacket I used the air dry type and coated twice. My Cabelas coat I used the heat setting type. Hopefully it will be a drier hunting season than last year.
I appreciate the input on Helly Hansen and I'll keep it in mind the next time I need new gear.
Dave

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 300_savage, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,669 guests, and 985 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,635
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.