Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Arac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have never used these style rings, except very recently on my son's .22 lr, so I am not very familiar with the benefits, or problems with this mounting system. Do all "Weaver Style" rings fit all such bases? Specifically, I am getting Warne bses, so can I use any Weaver style rings? Which ones do you prefer, and why?

Warne Maxima?

Weaver Grand Slam?

Burris Zee?

Leupold PRW?

Other?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use Warne rings on my higher quality applications and B-Square Sport Utility rings on my less expensive applications.

Jeff

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My last couple of mounts have been Weaver bases and Burris Signature Zee rings.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I believe I've used all the "Weaver Style" rings... I like the Burris Zee and original Weaver.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like the Burris Z-Ring's for a few reasons, they are solid but not too heavy, they wont leave ring mark's like most ring's , you can use the offset inserts to correct for windage or add elevation for a long range rig......a no brainer

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Except for my rugers all of my rifles use std weaver bases and various rings. For my for lack of a better word "better" rifles I use the std zee rings and have had very good luck with them and I like the looks of them. I do have one set of the weaver quad lock rings on a stevens 200 and aside from the fact that they are a bit wider than the zee rings I have found them to be very serviceable rings and inexpensive. I also have one set of the original weaver rings on an old 22 mag I have. They are not the prettiest rings and they are a bit tricky to get squared up on your scope w/o canting it as you tighten the screws, but they are very durable and fairly light weight. To answer your question most all of the "weaver style" setups are interchangeable.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
The Weaver system is a very strong mount, it is the basis of today of the picatany system. The old weaver rings had an aluminum bottom and a steel half ring system top, that would most surely mare a scope. I have alot of the Burris Zee rings on rifles, they
are simble and strong all steel. The Leupold are very good but more costly and more bulky.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Perhaps I've been lucky, but in over 40 years of big game hunting, I've had no problems with aluminum Weaver-style rings (save the occasional stripping of the screw threads). I've also found the Weaver system to be perfectly reliable when swapping out a scope for another that was previously mounted on that rifle--the return to zero is usually within 1 MOA. This is why I always carry a spare scope and rings with me on hunts, a habit which has largely replaced carrying an extra rifle.

Since modern scopes are mostly aluminum, what's wrong with aluminum mounts? Properly designed and manufactured, they should be just as strong as the scope.....

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used Weaver rings and base's for years on many,many hunting rifles and never had a problem one. IMO they are just as strong as the Redfield/Leupold ring, base set up. They make cheap Weaver style rings that I would never use but with Weaver brand rings and bases I don't think you can go wrong.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Not the slickest looking, but as strong and dependable as any. I like the original Weavers best. I've used them as semi quick detachable rings on many occasions with no loss of zero. With Weavers and some other Weaver type rings they quickly come off with a simple screwdriver, or the back of knife blade in an emergency. The Warnes look a bit better, are just as strong, but I can't do that with them.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JMR40
Not the slickest looking, but as strong and dependable as any. I like the original Weavers best. I've used them as semi quick detachable rings on many occasions with no loss of zero. With Weavers and some other Weaver type rings they quickly come off with a simple screwdriver, or the back of knife blade in an emergency. The Warnes look a bit better, are just as strong, but I can't do that with them.

That depends on which Warnes:

[Linked Image]

These return to zero quite well.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
To answer your original question, yes, all Weaver-style rings will fit all Weaver-style bases. So, as an example, you can put Weaver rings on Warne bases, or Warne rings on Leupold QRW bases.

The steel Leupold and Warne bases are lower than the aluminim Weaver bases. Weaver bases and rings are the lightest because they are made largely of aluminum.

There are some no-name "blister pack" Weaver-style rings that I would avoid for anything except maybe a .22, but the major name brand rings are all good. Personally I have Weaver, Leupold and Warne setups on various rifles and don't have any complaints. I have a slight personal preference for the Leupolds.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Weaver's steel grand slam bases and rings are junk compared to Warne, in my experience. I have had a couple of the Weaver bases that weren't machined square. One of them was so bad that it was easily noticeable just by looking at it. If not for that one, I would not have checked the others. My current Warnes are more square, have a more attractive finish, and are even a few grams lighter, if that matters. And the Weaver grand slam rings I tried to use were so out of round that they scraped my scope, and one of them doesn't clamp down onto a base quite like it should because the small piece that does the clamping isn't machined the same as it is on the other ring and it binds. I lapped those rings and torqued them down as tight as I could on a beater rifle, but would never buy another set. Warnes are, once again, better finished, better machined, and lighter weight.

Last edited by seven_miller; 08/22/12.
Arac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you gentlemen, as usual this forum is a fountain of good information.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Burris Zee rings, use them on all of my rifles. They are trim looking and strong as heck. Spence

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 70 invisible), 3,303 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,484
Posts18,471,837
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.