Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PJGunner
It was 8 years ago, I'd shot a nice fat juicy cow elk for the freezer. I tagged her and walked back to my truck where my wife was sleeping to get to hel me gut and quarter my animal. On the was back we saw two A--holes on ATVs hauling ass with the two halves of my elk on the back. When we got to the spot all I had left was my torn up tag. The only good thing about it was I'd left my rifle in the truck. Not telling what might have gone down if it had been with me. Try as we might, we could find no game warden or sheriff or any form of LEO to report the incident. It's been 8 years and my jaws still get tight.
Paul B.

Thats just crazy why in hell would you steal an elk or deer that someone else killed ? Goofy basturds !

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This thread reminds me why I never bring a backup rifle and leave it in the truck or camp.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 30338
This thread reminds me why I never bring a backup rifle and leave it in the truck or camp.

No kidding. I have a Jeep with a soft top. I never lock it, because they'd just cut the top. Leaving my dog in the Jeep is all I can do. The truth is, he'd lick you to death, but you wouldn't know that just looking at him.

[Linked Image]

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Butler247
Originally Posted by NathanL
If you lose a trail cam and think they will be back and not a one time deal buy the cheapest one they make and stick it in an obvious place like next to a food plot. Get a good one and stick it up in a tree about 8 feet aimed at the cheap one and well camo'd - then take the pics to the police.

Good idea. My luck they would find both. I thought about setting one up with pepper spray in it connected to the on button with a camera in the tree on video to see. Lol

You could get a cheap camera and after its up in an obvious location, spray it down good with pepper spray. After it dries, the the SOB will take it down and haul it away. Theres a good chance the Bastage will pick his nose or rub his eyes or better yet take a leak on your property in defiance. About 5 mins later he will pay the price.

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
tree stands

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have stolen three different climbing tree stands out in the woods ON MY PROPERTY.

One must have been a bow hunter, because it was about 100 yards from the back door. I had found a dead deer close by which is why I found the stand. I had gone out early opening morning of bow season to test some loads and the hunter probably thought they had been spotted and was being fired on. Stand and my range are toward the back of a bowl and so sound bounces around. I bet a 44 Mag makes a lot of noise when one sneaks into someones backyard to poach.

The other two were on my property and NO ONE ever mention that they had "lost" their stand or came to claim them. I gave them all to folks needing a stand.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This probably does NOT count as my deer hunting has been within twenty miles of the Rio Grande in S. Texas since the early '70's and yes, if you leave it you lose it! Houses/trailers/jeeps/vehicles broken into no matter the security taken (window, door bars, etc). The "wets" have total control of the Rio Grande and just decimate whatever they touch and the more we spend (border patrol, etc) the more we lose. However, if you do in fact want to just get rid of stuff we can leave it at the property and it will be gone! smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My brother and i had a 6pt buck stolen from us. Hit it to far back and it ran about 250yds into the woods. We waited 20min tracked it down and found 4guys trespassing and field dressing it. We never heard any other shots. After word started flying we had gun pointed at us. We back out of there and watched from about 300yds At the truck. After finding out where they where going we drove over and got to there truck before them. They had parked in a driveway to a field with a cable but the cable was down so we dragged the cable behind there trucks and locked it. We then drove back to the owner,s house he called the SO. Who got there just in time to see them pull the cable down with there truck. Next came the CO and we showed where my brother had shot and how we tracked the deer and he found that the guy that said he shoot the deer gun was still oily in the bore. All got tickets for trespassing,one for vandalism, and one for no licensee! The Co gave the deer to the owner of the land as he said he know that they stole it but was not able to prove it and because it was shot by someone who was trespassing on his land he could have it! We where hunting to get him a deer for his freezer anyway. Clint

just for Fun
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Couple weeks ago, I went to my barn, on private property, ...same property, same barn where I have kept feeders, riding lawn mower, tractor, disc, bushhog, and Polaris for the pasty ten years...mower, tractor, disc, bushhog, feeders, boots, all there as expected....Polaris gone....bastards didnt have the key so they worked to load it. Try telling your wife you need another $10,000 for another Polaris. Now have ads for "will trade rifle for any running 4 wheeler" in the paper.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by muygrande1
This probably does NOT count as my deer hunting has been within twenty miles of the Rio Grande in S. Texas since the early '70's and yes, if you leave it you lose it! Houses/trailers/jeeps/vehicles broken into no matter the security taken (window, door bars, etc). The "wets" have total control of the Rio Grande and just decimate whatever they touch and the more we spend (border patrol, etc) the more we lose. However, if you do in fact want to just get rid of stuff we can leave it at the property and it will be gone! smile

I knew I would never fit in working down there in that part of the world when I noticed the ranchers leaving water and food on the porch labeled in spanish so the places wouldn't get broken into.

I had a turning plow I wanted to get rid of once and set it by the road with a sign that said "FREE" on it. It sat there for 3 months and my dad put a sign that said "For Sale $500" and it was gone within the first week.

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had the good fortune to be lucky, but I've often worried about leaving things in the tent on public land in Colorado.

Some other worries are having things inside these outfitter lodges when I'm still hunting and other hunters have scored and are just hanging out in the lodge all day.

The closest I've come to a loss was at a gun range. When I was talking to a guy a few benches away from my stuff, I noticed to guys eyeing my bench then they approached and I immediately went over there. They explained they were pistol shooters and were just looking at the long brass on my rifle cartridges, right!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I never leave anything in the woods but here in New Jersey if you do,it usually gets stolen. No shortage of a$$holes around here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nothing stolen but a side story. I has gotten permission and paid to lease 440 acres of private land from the owner. Well the owners [bleep] son gave his buddies permission also. I was running a chainsaw cleaning up a road when my old blue heeler bolts away with a purpose, turns out that one of the sons buddies was running at me screaming and I couldnt hear over the saw. Ole "cowboy" didnt take to kindly to people screaming at his dad I reckon. They stopped.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I once put a milking stool under the tree where I was going
stand the day before buck season. Bright and early the next
morning when I got there...it was gone.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
One of my dad's friends had a deer stolen from him several
years ago. It was hanging in a tree in his front yard and
was gone in the morning. He was also the type of guy to give
a deer to someone if they wanted it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I lost an axe and my brother's Weatherby Vanguard out of a wall tent in Wyoming once. It was a long time ago in remote country and we just didn't worry about theft in those days.

I drew a bead in the oakbrush of Colorado on a 6 point bull once back n the 1980s. I guy behind me shot it right before I pulled the trigger. I was in legal orange, but he never saw me. That one felt like it was stolen too.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guess I'm lucky, have never had anything stolen haven't had anything stolen yet.

I'm surprised at how many of you folks have been robbed. Sad commentary on the state of our nation....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My farm has a county road along the east border. People like to shoot deer on my alfalfa field, drive out and do a gut and run. Other than that I have been lucky to have no tree stands taken, no traps stolen, or anyone get the stuff in my barn when I am gone. From reading this thread there are sure a lot of Azzholes out there.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
A friend an I were still hunting, trying to get our last party tag filled. We hunt private ground.

He shot a decent buck. I gutted, tagged it with his tag and we went up the hill to tell everyone we were done.

Apparently the inbred neighbors needed it. They climbed the fence, pulled the deer over and the ATV tracks in the snow went across the field right to the house/garage.

Fuggers got evicted and one of our party's nephew now lives in the house. We hunt all of that now too....

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Had 2 treestands stolen off my private property a few years ago on opening day left the woods that morning after killing a Doe went back that afternoon cause I had forgot my knife when I gutted it and both stands we're gone it's a shame come to find out my nieghbors did it and weren't even smart enough to hide them they hun them on the side of there garage needless to say when it got dark I got my stands back

You dont hurt them if you dont hit them
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (300_savage, 222Sako, 3040Krag, 257Bob, 270wsmnutt, 58 invisible), 2,781 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,685
Posts18,534,444
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.