Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm thinking about a new stock for a Remington Model Seven. I have several rifles with H.S. Precision stocks, and I like them very much. I have no experience with Bell & Carlson. How does the latter compare with the former? Looks like the B&C stock is about $100 less than the equivalent H.S. Precision and, well, $100 is $100 ...

Just don't want to make a purchase I will later regret. Input welcome.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Both of those are very heavy and I'd not recommend either for a model 7. They are fine for a heavy varmit or tactical type rifle, but make no sense on a trim ligthweight gun in my opinion.

But if you want to go that way I've had both and the B&C Medalist with the aluminum bedding block is every bit as good as the much more expensive HS. With more options and easier to find. I wouldn't have one of the non-Medalist B&C stocks as a gift though.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Except for bad weather and ultra precision rifles I always wondered about using a synthetic stock that weighed about the same as a wood one. I think if you Swiss cheesed a laminate stock enough it would be in the same weight range. Solid wood might be even lighter if hollowed out.

My preference is wood or hold off for a light weight stock.

Both of those stocks are good though. I would guess the HS is slightly stronger but you would have to run over it with a truck to tell the difference.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both in a cooper. H&S just "feels" better. B&C seems or feels cheap to me.

I've had great success with H&S in other rifles also.

My choice is H&S.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the feedback. So if not B&C or HS Precision (because of weight), who makes a lightweight composite that doesn't feel like cheap plastic? I really don't like the feel of Remington's non-wood stocks.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The McMillan Edge is the default answer for a lightweight quality stock. But they ain't cheap, $518 if you order from here last time I looked.

If you are handy you can order a stock blank and finish it yourself from www.hightech-specialties.com for under $300. I've done a couple. It ain't rocket science and they turned out OK for a working rifle. If you are anal about perfection, by the time you pay someone to profesionally finish one the McMillan ends up cheaper.

If bad weather isn't a concern the factory walnut stocks are not much heavier than synthetic. Much lighter than HS or B&C would be.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
It's not an ultralight Mcmillan edge, but the B&C stock is 8 oz lighter than the factory synthetic stock, with a much better recoil pad than factory.

So it is quite a bit lighter, and shifts the balance point forward about 1/4". I just got one a few days ago, and it trims the weight of the stocked bare rifle down to 5.95 lbs. smile Unfortunately, the straight alaskan shape that most people love doesn't fit my long neck well, and I'm looking at having to sell it. frown Love everything else about it.

Best,
Christopher

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Thanks for the feedback. So if not B&C or HS Precision (because of weight), who makes a lightweight composite that doesn't feel like cheap plastic? I really don't like the feel of Remington's non-wood stocks.

Unless you're bent on saving weight H&S is a great stock for the money. It doesn't feel cheap.

Look at a Mcm Edge or Bansners if you want light.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
I'm thinking about a new stock for a Remington Model Seven. I have several rifles with H.S. Precision stocks, and I like them very much. I have no experience with Bell & Carlson. How does the latter compare with the former? Looks like the B&C stock is about $100 less than the equivalent H.S. Precision and, well, $100 is $100 ...

Just don't want to make a purchase I will later regret. Input welcome.

IMHO, the HS is twice the stock BC is, so half price is not always a bargain.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Cag Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
HS Precision would be my choice.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2138289/posts
HS Precision hired Lon Horiuchi as a spokesman after Ruby Ridge.

FWIW I would pass on either. HS for conscience and B&C because I don't like their stocks.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have one of the new B & C medalist for the model 7 from Stockys. Really nicely done.. almost a perfect fit right out of the box... not the lightest as noted but a fine stock.. Wish they made the same quality stock minus the aluminum insert

the Carbolites are not among my favorites.

I own several H_S and the new medalist are just as nicely made..it a matter of feel as to which you might like.

also have a high tech on a model 7.. very light..but be prepared for a lot of fit and finish work... around $230 or so

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've owned and do own both HS and B&C Medalists. Here are some facts:

1. They weigh about the same, and both use the exact same aluminum chassis as each other.

2. BC has a slimmer stock profile, and has checkering.

3. The HS has better quality paint.

4. Every BC stock I have messed with did not have the aluminum blocks or even pillars for that matter set properly in the stock. You had to fix it with bedding. The HS's I have owned were perfect right out of the box.

If you like a slimmer stock, and are good with bedding and fixing inletting then get the BC. Otherwise get the HS.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2138289/posts
HS Precision hired Lon Horiuchi as a spokesman after Ruby Ridge.

FWIW I would pass on either. HS for conscience and B&C because I don't like their stocks.

+1 on the HS stuff.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put a HS on a model 7 ,7MM SAUM and did not like the weight or the feel of the stock, it felt more like a club that a stock.
Sold it to a frend and he thinks it is magic.

Different strokes for different folks.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Had them both and currently only have B&C. The HS was durable and was a true drop in for me. I like the ergos of the B&Cs better, but have had to at least skim bed even the alum bedding block models...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I haven't used a B&C but I love my H.S. It seems far stiffer than most other composite stocks I have put my hands on.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I own both. Like the "feel" of the HS better. Had to "tinker" with both to get the barreled action to fit "just right". But, had to do significantly more tinkering with the B&C than the HS.

I put my LH M7 clone in a McMillan M7 stock set up as an ADL. No desire to change stocks over the past 10 years. Just take it out and shoot it...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, all. I have purchased a couple of aftermarket H.S. Precision stocks, but never a B&C. Given the feedback, think I'll stick with what I know and like.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I prefer HS, but own BC too. The HSs seem stiffer to me. Both work great with a good skim.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (257_X_50, 222Sako, 1_deuce, 2500HD, 257 mag, 1minute, 62 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,562
Posts18,473,169
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.