Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
This is why my one and only bore snake had a short life with me. I had heard they were great from fellow shooters, bought one for my 5.56 AR-15, got tired of having to feel like I am working out at a gym to pull it through the bore.

Then I tried to pull it through my CZ-452 .22 R.F. bolt action rifle with it's tightening of the bore near the muzzle for match grade accuracy, panicked and just barely got it out. I had to cut the end of it as it was going into the breach to shorten it and reduce friction, then it got it's well deserved place in the trash!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lol I may as well admit I ruined a barrel by ramming a carbon arrow in the chamber end, I cut the vanes half off and rammed it in there thinking that only the vanes would touch and not hurt anything. I was trying to put that in there to then put the arrow in a drill and turn the whole thing so I could polish it. It was ss. Well I pretty much had it done...looked great then I broke the arrow off. I thought no big deal and put another of smaller diameter through the bore end to tap it out. Tried that for a while with no luck and finally ended up breaking it off at the muzzle. It's in there real good now so if anybody wants a nice ss wrapped carbon barrel I have one I'll sell you real cheap lol not my best moment.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ColdBore

A little forethought and carefulness will keep you in the position of not having to explain how you f'ed up another barrel.

Originally Posted by ingwe

When you are forcing bullets down the barrel at beau coup thousand of pounds of pressure, nothing you can do with elbow grease is gonna hurt the bore much...

You might want to ask the guy that cleans from the muzzle, with no bore guide, using a stainless brush, attached to a jointed aluminum rod, and see how he's making out.

Agreed, you can screw up a crown pretty easy, but I was reffering to the bore per se....you gotta do something like cram a carbon arrow down there to screw one of them up.... wink grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
steelhead had the best idea burn it out.

Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had an uncle who stuck a pull-through in the bore of his 8 mm Mauser.

He had several unused wooden pencils that would fit the bore. So, he hammered them into the barrel, trying to push the patch out.

Next, he was looking for a way to get the splintered and jammed pencils and the still stuck patch out of the bore.

Next, he used an electric drill and a long 1/4 inch drill bit. The drill bit got the patch and pencils out of the bore, and he was able to do it without sticking the drill bit in the barrel, along with the rest of the stuff.

I looked down the barrel after he told me this, and my opinion is that the barrel was ruined. It had gouges and scratches from one end to the other, made by the rotating drill bit.

So yes, there are ways of ruining a barrel without shooting it, but you might have to work at it.

In Hatcher's Notebook, there is a chapter on removing bore obstructions. He used a primed case with about half the normal charge of powder. This worked, until he tried to remove a bunch of stuff that was really jammed in the barrel.

The same procedure might work with a Bore Snake. Then again, it might not.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1234567

The same procedure might work with a Bore Snake. Then again, it might not.

Think "Long" string, and without fail, a video camera capable of taking clear, focused video. grin

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Consider Hatcher was an expert surrounded by experts and had access to laboratories. Hatcher thought he was onto something for quickly removing bore obstructions until he took it to the laboratory and did some testing. He concluded it was a bad idea and went back to the standard methods of clearing obstructions. Hint: Don't try this at home. To my thinking that chapter was included to give some idea of pressure dynamics in the barrel only.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Next, he used an electric drill and a long 1/4 inch drill bit......

I looked down the barrel after he told me this, and my opinion is that the barrel was ruined. It had gouges and scratches from one end to the other, made by the rotating drill bit.

So yes, there are ways of ruining a barrel without shooting it, but you might have to work at it.

My original contention was that it was hard to screw up a bore with elbow grease alone. Give me a power tool and some elbow grease and I can screw up anything... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What about a big hammer and a steel rod to stick in the barrel?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What about a big hammer and a steel rod to stick in the barrel?

OK...ya got me there....I might could screw something up with that...and elbow grease...and yes, I have seen that kind of thing applied to guns... eek

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by ColdBore

A little forethought and carefulness will keep you in the position of not having to explain how you f'ed up another barrel.

When you are forcing bullets down the barrel at beau coup thousand of pounds of pressure, nothing you can do with elbow grease is gonna hurt the bore much...

You might want to ask the guy that cleans from the muzzle, with no bore guide, using a stainless brush, attached to a jointed aluminum rod, and see how he's making out.

Agreed, you can screw up a crown pretty easy, but I was reffering to the bore per se....you gotta do something like cram a carbon arrow down there to screw one of them up.... wink grin

I'm not talking just the crown.

Stick one of those stainless tornado brushes in the bore, on a flimsy jointed rod, even from the breech, and get to scrubbing.

Just don't do it on anything you like. eek

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I always wondered about those tornado brushes..... whistle

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ctw
Anyone have advice on removing one of these critters? I think someone tried to clean a 22 caliber with a 25 caliber bore snake.
Is the barrel ruined?
Thanks chris

I've warned others here many times before against using any bore snake on a rifle barrel. They're fine for shotguns but should never be used on rifles.. All it takes is a broken pull-through string or similar and it's NEW BARREL TIME.. Rarely will they be able to be removed and IF you are successful, go out and immediately buy a ton of LOTTO tix..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a Bore Snake on my M1A. Have done so for years. It's the perfect tool for those guns who's bores you can't access from the chamber end. You have to be smart though, you have to use the correct size, and inspect the thing for wear before each use. Nothing is fool proof. I've had guns come in with jammed and broken cleaning rods in them. In this line of work the tag line should read "Just when you think you've seen it all..."

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Malm
I use a Bore Snake on my M1A. Have done so for years. It's the perfect tool for those guns who's bores you can't access from the chamber end.
That's what a chamber brush is for..

smile smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1 order new barrel of your choice from favirot barellmaker. 2 remove pluged barrel from action3 take hacksaw and cut pluged barrel at plug 3mount pluged barrell in proment place in shop to remoind customers of the dangers of :snakes: 4 chamber new barrell 5 go shoot something

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
1 order new barrel of your choice from favirot barellmaker. 2 remove pluged barrel from action3 take hacksaw and cut pluged barrel at plug 3mount pluged barrell in proment place in shop to remoind customers of the dangers of :snakes: 4 chamber new barrell 5 go shoot something

6. Try spell check

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
sorry was in a hurry

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Try a Hammer Puller and it should come out

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just now finished using a .30 cal BoreSnake on a customers M1 Garand and discovered something odd. Odd in a good sense. Never paid any attention to it until this discussion. I discovered that if the nylon cord on the .30 caliber snake were to break anywhere in the bore, and mine didn't because I use the corrects size and regularly inspect mine for wear, all you would have to do is grab the snake by the tail and yank it back out. Unless the entire BoreSnake is rotted, the area likely to break, is where the cord attaches to the much more durable, braided body. And with the .30 caliber snake, the main body, the heavily braided part, is longer than most rifle barrels.

In fact, the main body of the .30 caliber BoreSnake, stretched, measured end to end, is about 31". So unless that particular snake is coiled up in the bore, ready to strike, or your barrel is well over 30", you should easily be able to snag one end of it and remove it. At least with the .30 caliber BoreSnake.

Maybe some of you who have them in different calibers could measure and post the actual body lengths, stretched. I would be interested in knowing the results.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (anothergun, 338Rules, 6mmbrfan, 10 invisible), 935 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,120
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.