Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Lastly, the thing that pisses me off on Wild Justice is when that dork says at the beginning of the show that "without us, there would be no more wildlife; we are the last line of defense". BS! Sportsmen and women are the last line of defense and the GW's work for us! Without us they wouldn't have a damn job

Does hunting have to ultimately rely on anybody? W/o management and regulations and someone to enforce them, there would be no game. Without hunter's paying the freight there would be no game.

This sounds very much like the chicken and the egg conundrum. Both groups need the other.

I've had good and bad experiences with COs, just like with any other group of people. In the end, they are as much a part of the solution as anyone else. And to the extent that some of them are part of the problem - hell that can be said about plenty of hunters too.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the job you do Blake. We can argue symantics, but without guys such as yourself doing that thankless job, our heritage WOULD be gone before we know it and definitely as we know it. The next generations thank you too.
Keep safe.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot
I think the problem is with the new breed of warden. In the olden days, the wardens were hunters and shooters. Now, the "wildlife conservation officers" have been through the public school system wherein they are taught that hunting is a negative ethic. .

We teach a hell of a lot of them here. And I sure don't anything that gives credence to your claim.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot

I think the problem is with the new breed of warden. In the olden days, the wardens were hunters and shooters. Now, the "wildlife conservation officers" have been through the public school system wherein they are taught that hunting is a negative ethic. They are not hunters and shooters and take a dim view of those activities.

I agree with much of this statement especially when in regards to the TV show "Wild Justice" as it is based in California.

I've been a hunter all of my life of 50 plus years.
As kids my brothers and I hunted waterfowl and pheasants with a passion.
During that tme, we were regularly checked by wardens in the field, they were always pleasant and seemed to enjoy seeing us kids out there hunting, they often seemed sincere as to sharing our desire for success.
I felt they were our allies in the field.

Watching "Wild Justice" I sometimes just cringe.

Certainly you cannot generalize the entire Fish & Game force, but I think that the extremes are what the TV producers are looking for to make "good television".

Unfortunately as a California outdoorsman, the rest of the country watches that show and assumes what they see on that show as the norm.
Busting marijuana farmers, meth smoking pipes in the console of the hunter's pick up. transvestites roaming the woods with [bleep] in their pockets (yeah, no kidding) are all portrayed as normal outdoor activities that you see in the woods every time you hunt in California and it is really an embarassment to the dedicated sportsmen of this state that are continually trying to defend what good remains here.

There is all kinds of people wearing the badge here, some good, some not so much.

I get a little bent when some of those wardens on the show run away with the "guilty until proven innocent" tactics.
On several shows they approach a home and the camera pans to a rafter full of deer antlers.
Immediately the melodramatic music starts, then the warden declares..."Look, no tags on those antlers".
The warden immediately assumes all of the antlers were poached when right there in black and white the state statute says that the tag only need to remain on the antlers for about two weeks.
Another warden looks at a guys trophy room and declares " Man, this guy likes to kill things" and again the dramatic music plays eerily in the backround ....WTF?
In another episode they are investigating a suspected poacher, they confiscate his smart phone and start rummaging through his photos.
They come to a photo of the guy with a big buck.
In the photo the backropund is dark so with an authoratative voice the warden exclaims..."Look, this was killed at night!... Who hunts deer at night?" assuming that because the photo was shot with a dark backround that it was shot at 2:00 o'clock in the morning......GMAFB.

Does that guy even know the first thing about deer hunting?....sheesh.

Ok, all that said & done, Opening day of our local rifle deer season opened on the 11th of August.
I went out opening day on one of my private properties.
I hunted until things got too warm, saw a copule of small bucks then loaded up and headed for home.

I just get onto the ranch access road and I am pulled over by two wardens in a marked Fish & Game vehicle.
The driver gets out, a female officer (and the best looking one I've ever seen by the way blush ) and asks me if I'm hunting.
I politely tell them "yes" and they proceed to run me through the paces checking my license and tags, checking to see that my rifle was completely unloaded including the magazine and asked me where I was hunting.
I must say that after watching several recent episodes of "Wild Justice" I started out a little on the defensive and must have seemed a little uptight.
That show is not good for them or us in my opinion.

The two officers were courteous and professional and even joked with me a bit at the end, lightening up the encounter a bit.

I left the stop with a feeling that they were good officers protecting the local properties from trespassers and would-be poachers.
Having had problems with trespassers in the past their presence is a welcome sight.

To sum things up, as with most things in life, when you generalize, you really are doing a diservice to a great many folks that aren't anything like what you believe them to be, unfortunately many of the guys that are there doing a good job with California's dept of Fish & Game don't have the personality that reality TV shows are looking for.

Proud NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have had nothing but positive experiences with COs. Had the local guy check us field hunting for geese last year and was nice enough to hit the deck when a flock was approaching. He didnt know it was me at the time because I have gotten to know him. He is just like you or me and his job happens to be a CO.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
IC B2

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Salmonella

To sum things up, as with most things in life, when you generalize, you really are doing a diservice to a great many folks that aren't anything like what you believe them to be,

That pretty much nails it.
Imagine a thread by WEO's about hunters, what do you generally think of them.
Many of the accounts I hear from my son leave me shaking my head.
A funny, to me at least, story.
My son was giving out tickets to a family that was power boating with young kids and had no life preservers on the kids.
While he was writing out the ticket the women was just mad dog mean and berating him the whole time as a joy killer.
He finished writing the tickets and got down on one knee to face level with the kids who were almost in tears.
He nicely told them to not be sad or blame themselves as this had nothing to do with them. It was their parents responsibility to follow the law and a bit of the safety concerns.
He finished with"now when you grow up don't ever treat or speak to anyone such as your mother has." and went on a bit why. I forget his exact words but unlike me he is very articulate.
The Mother didn't say another word but was about spitting her teeth out she was so angry.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FVA

Excellent point, or fishermen.

Last edited by exbiologist; 08/28/12.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
when i was 10 i shot a doe on opening day of buck season by mistake of course they was standing right behind one another my dad was with me we didnt know it was the doe till we followed blood trail to see her that was my first deer so dad told me it was illegal and wrong.so he called the game warden an told them what happened he figured that doing the right thing by reporting it would be okay and they let me keep deer etc the warden wrote my ass a ticket for killing deer out of season but i never forgot what my dad said he said you know i was trying to teach my son a lesson he said you have if it ever happens again we damn sure wont be calling yall it was a honest mistake by a ten yr old anyways i had to go court etc course they threw it out but man was i scared

You can shear a sheep many times.But you can only skin him once!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by FVA
Originally Posted by Salmonella

To sum things up, as with most things in life, when you generalize, you really are doing a diservice to a great many folks that aren't anything like what you believe them to be,

That pretty much nails it.
Many of the accounts I hear from my son leave me shaking my head.
A funny, to me at least, story.
My son was giving out tickets to a family that was power boating with young kids and had no life preservers on the kids.
While he was writing out the ticket the women was just mad dog mean and berating him the whole time as a joy killer.
He finished writing the tickets and got down on one knee to face level with the kids who were almost in tears.
He nicely told them to not be sad or blame themselves as this had nothing to do with them. It was their parents responsibility to follow the law and a bit of the safety concerns.
He finished with"now when you grow up don't ever treat or speak to anyone such as your mother has." and went on a bit why. I forget his exact words but unlike me he is very articulate.
The Mother didn't say another word but was about spitting her teeth out she was so angry.

Sounds like a son to be very proud of FVA.

I hunt legally. I've nothing to be worried about, and the ones I've had interaction with have been pretty good guys over all. Most of them (at least around here) are hunters themselves.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not checked nearly enough, but they have always been polite and fair. .02

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moore
when i was 10 i shot a doe on opening day of buck season by mistake of course they was standing right behind one another my dad was with me we didnt know it was the doe till we followed blood trail to see her that was my first deer so dad told me it was illegal and wrong.so he called the game warden an told them what happened he figured that doing the right thing by reporting it would be okay and they let me keep deer etc the warden wrote my ass a ticket for killing deer out of season but i never forgot what my dad said he said you know i was trying to teach my son a lesson he said you have if it ever happens again we damn sure wont be calling yall it was a honest mistake by a ten yr old anyways i had to go court etc course they threw it out but man was i scared

You should use more of the keys on your keyboard.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
shreck; TCMU (That Cracked Me Up). grin

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Had more than my fair share of [bleep] in Alaska.

Ditto.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
I've never had a bad experience with the WOs in my county. I know one on a first name basis, I help him tabulate B&C scores. The other warden is related to my hunting buddy and he's also my district county commish.

lol, I got it sewed up.

SL- If you really want to 'sew it up', do what I did, marry the local game wardens daughter! shocked

I'm serious bout my huntin & fishin! grin

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by FVA
I'm partial to this one.
[Linked Image]

well, OK. seems like a nice enough fellow, but could stand to lose a few pounds. Whatever floats your boat though.

;-)

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
ON a more serious note, I have had a fair number of encounters with game wardens in NJ and two in Maine. Nary a problem, and the fellow in Maine, whose name I still remember to this day, was about the most straight up and polite LEO I have run into. I mentioned that I think he has a great job, and asked him some quesitons about it, and he told me I could ride along with him some time If I were truely interested.

GW have been top of the heap in terms of LEO imo.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It all depends who you run into in Montana. There are a few decent ones, but most of them are complete Nazis when you put a badge on them. I think it's part of the job description.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by moore

If I took a kid hunting and they made an illegal kill I would not call a warden. Here is what could happen:

The warden says, "Kid, you shot an illegal deer, here's a warning ticket, have a nice day." or

The kid gets ticketed and their weapon confiscated.

or

The warden says you shot it and are blaming the kid, confiscates your weapon and takes you to jail.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 52 invisible), 14,775 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,062
Posts18,541,140
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.