Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Anyone used any of these on game yet? How did they perform? I've got some 105 hybrids that I'm going to be loading up and wanted to see what others experiences were with them before I zap a critter.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Nobody huh?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What will you be running them into? Speed, distance... details?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by chicoredneck
Anyone used any of these on game yet? How did they perform? I've got some 105 hybrids that I'm going to be loading up and wanted to see what others experiences were with them before I zap a critter.
........Haven`t tried the hybrids yet.

But from what I understand, and just like the "hunting" VLDs, the new Berger hybrids which are classified as "hunting" bullets, will still operate the same way internally as the VLDs.

The only difference between the "hunting" VLD vs the new "hunting" hybrid, is the new ogive design of the hybrid offers the same or better accuracys without having to do alot of bullet jump distance experimentations.

The hybrid is a more tolerant bullet when using various bullet jump lengths.

There is a 5:44 Q&A video on the Berger site which explains the hybrid.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tech at Berger said Hybrid bullets are not classified as hunting bullets, unless they are labeled "hunting" and have the thinner jackets.

Big Squeeze is dead, so he wouldn't know that.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I'd like to see some hunting Hybrids but they are labeled as Target bullets!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
With them being labeled as target bullets, do they fear they will pencil through on game due to the thicker jackets?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I guess they do behave differently, I don't know their process but you would think they could make both Hunting and target hybrids easily once they have the dies made!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Tech at Berger said Hybrid bullets are not classified as hunting bullets, unless they are labeled "hunting" and have the thinner jackets.

Big Squeeze is dead, so he wouldn't know that.
............I see that the trash/garbage monkey just couldn`t resist,,,again!

No chitt there monkey! Hunting bullets are labeled "hunting" and target bullets are labeled "target".......You are such an informative genius!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
The hybbrids are supposed to be made with the thicker jacket of the target line. My understandig is that the target vld's behave similarly to the hunting ones, but with less expansion. I though that maybe because the hybrid bullets had a slightly different profile that they would behave different. I figured somebody would have gotten curious and shot a critter with one. I hunt deer and pigs mostly using the current hunting VLD's and wanted to give these a try.

IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Hybrids are just a profile, not sure why they couldn't just switch to the thinner jacket material and run them into the die!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Berger announced that they will be coming out with a hybrid hunting bullet during the SHOT show.

There have been hunters using the heavier target hybrids for big game and getting good results. The 230 gr 30 cal and the 300 gr 338 cal bullets have killed elk, antelope, and deer. LRH had some threads on this.

So far I found one guy that shot an antelope with a 180 target hybrid from a 7mm.

Some shooters are suggesting that after Berger runs their hunting tests that some of the target hybrids may be deemed hunting bullets without any changes.

I had a e-mail conversation with Bryan Litz regarding the hunting vs target VLDs a few years ago.

His comments:

"As far as using them for hunting, I can't tell you how they'll work because we havent' tested them. I can tell you that the thick jackets of the target bullets are only ~0.003" to 0.004" thicker per side than the standard thickness (hunting) jackets. This extra thickness exists up thru the bearing surface, then tapers to the same thickness (same as standard) at the jacket mouth. In other words, the thickness of the jacket in the ogive of the target bullets is very similar to that of the standard hunting jackets. From this information, one may speculate that they will perform similar to the standard hunting jackets on impact, however, not having tested the target bullets for expansion at all, it would not be responsible for us to say how they behave. They were designed as target bullets to overcome problems with extensive and abusive target shooting. If you do any tests along these lines, we're very interested in the results."
(thanks Bryan)

I have heard of guys using the target VLDs with excellent results. Time will tell if the smaller hybrids like the 105 6mm bullet will work on big game.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
you gotta give Berger credit as a marketing genius...they produce a half dozen kinds of bullets that are all the same and sell them like they are all different...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
you gotta give Berger credit as a marketing genius...they produce a half dozen kinds of bullets that are all the same and sell them like they are all different...

What do you mean? Which ones are all the same?

If 2nd amendment rights can be subject to licensing and fees, how was the poll tax unconstitutional?
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
TAG...........

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Reports are starting to show up on hybrids being used on big game:

A guy just reported on using the 180 hybrid target bullet on two antelope and a few coyotes on LRH.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/180-berger-hybrid-hunt-results-so-far-80995/

Considering that the hunting hybrids just came out a few weeks ago it will be a month or so before we hear of any results on game.

Current hunting hybrid offerings:

243 95 gr BC .427 recommended twist 1 in 10
270 130 gr BC .497 recommended twist 1 in 10
7mm 168 gr BC .604 recommended twist 1 in 10
308 168 gr BC .496 recommended twist 1 in 13
308 185 gr BC .547 recommended twist 1 in 12

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No reason to use a target orietnted bullet on big gmae. Game animals are not targets, they are flesh and blood creatures that should be dispatched cleanly and with a minimum of suffering and "experimentation"

Use a proven HUNTING bullet like the TTSX for hunting and save the VLD's and such for punching paper or steel gongs etc.

The super high BC's of VLD's etc don't matter for squat out to 500 yards, which is a VERY long shot that few of us have any business undertaking.

Last edited by safariman; 08/29/12.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Haven't used the hybrids on game yet, but the hunting VLDs (what used to be the standard target VLD) have worked great for me, and I now pretty much use them more than anything else. They are plenty proven...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm sorry, but antelope (prolly little slick heads) and coyotes don't count as big game for bullet testing. My neighbors dog has more muscle and a thicker hide.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I take it that you have used a bunch of them and they have failed you miserably?

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

408 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 163bc, 39 invisible), 1,495 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,216
Posts18,524,435
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.