Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The GM built trucks I have owned are pretty reliable. I can get parts if I need them in any auto parts store in any little town in the US. Try getting a Tundra part on a Saturday in Springfield, Colorado. Won't happen.

Last edited by stantdm; 09/02/12.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'd get the Tundra. You won't regret it. I have an 08 Tundra Double cab 4x4 TRD. It gets 19-20 mpg on the Interstate and average right now for city and hwy is 15.2 mpg. It has more room and a huge towing capacity. It's very reliable and you won't have to worry about finding parts due to failure. The truck is made well and made in the USA. More American than GM and Ford.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BWalker
A large percentage of my family works directly for GM or for suppliers to GM. Growing up dad always had Chevy's and GMC's and mom Pontiac's and Oldsmobile's. I, myself have owned 5 new GM vehicles, with the latest being a 09 GMC Acadia. With that said none of them made it much over warranty with out the typical GM nickle and dime routine. Then when they get around 100k the real big repair bills start. Also owned two dodge rigs and they were even worse!
Baring this in mind and the fact that I am aware of several Toyota's that have went 200k with brakes and tires only I purchased a 2012 Tacoma double cab TRD.
I AM DONE BUYING AMERICAN JUNK!
BTW my Tacoma is union made in TX according to the IBEW buy list at work. I'm not union, but that matters to some guys.

+1. Many of us have been there and done that....Toyotas are much more reliable. The tranny went bad in my 04 gmc sierra 4x4 when it had 110,000 miles on it...The power steering pump also went, along with the upper intermediate steering shaft, and front diff.....The op would be much more money ahead by going with the toyota. I'd personally opt for the Tundra over the taco though....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The rig I sold to buy my Taco was a 06 Chevy Duramax crew cab. I bought it from a friend with 60k on it and sold it with 85k. During that time it needed a complete front end rebuild, including pitman and idler arms, new brake calipers, new ABS sensors, the power steering pump was leaking pretty good,the steering shaft was so worn out it flopped around and clunked and the engine started to smoke at idle, which is a hint the injectors are shot. Most of these issues are very common amongst this year truck and as such its just another example of [bleep] engineering IMO.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by stantdm
The GM built trucks I have owned are pretty reliable. I can get parts if I need them in any auto parts store in any little town in the US. Try getting a Tundra part on a Saturday in Springfield, Colorado. Won't happen.

That might have been true several years ago but I wouldn't be so sure about that now. Last week we had to replace an alternator and water pump on a 2006 Chevy Impala. NAPA, Autozone, Advance, Carquest, and O'Reily did not have the water pump in stock. They had it by noon the next day but we still had to wait.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[quote=BWalker]...The op would be much more money ahead by going with the toyota. I'd personally opt for the Tundra over the taco though....

Google "Tundra air pump" and you'll change your mind about that.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/2010/04/26/tundra-sequoia-air-injection-induction-pump/

Toyota is perfectly capable of building a half-million mile worthy vehicle, they ship them all over the world. They are called the Hilux pickup. I've driven them on a couple of continents

As good as Toyota is though, having to build stuff that lard-ass americans will buy, and stay in line with EPA nazis, may just be over the top.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[quote=BWalker]...The op would be much more money ahead by going with the toyota. I'd personally opt for the Tundra over the taco though....

Google "Tundra air pump" and you'll change your mind about that.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/2010/04/26/tundra-sequoia-air-injection-induction-pump/

Toyota is perfectly capable of building a half-million mile worthy vehicle, they ship them all over the world. They are called the Hilux pickup. I've driven them on a couple of continents

As good as Toyota is though, having to build stuff that lard-ass americans will buy, and stay in line with EPA nazis, may just be over the top.

We'd all be in hog heaven if they offered the hi-lux here.......Just sayin..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Id about kill for a D4D diesel engine in my Taco along with a solid front axle. Other than these two items you can keep the Hilux

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Had chevys and dodges, because of resale value alone I got a tacoma. I downsized from the full size trucks, only have it about a year but very nice truck and big enough for what I'm going to do with it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ditto.

My wife and I were in South Africa and Japanese trucks had diesels. I'd imagine if they get imported here diesel fuel will become a tax revenue target of the first order...but it already is...

Defend the Constitution
IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by tomk
Ditto.

My wife and I were in South Africa and Japanese trucks had diesels. I'd imagine if they get imported here diesel fuel will become a tax revenue target of the first order...but it already is...

I wish Toyota offered a diesel here in the US in the Tacoma and Tundra. However, with Obammy and his goons at the EPA, we don't have to worry about that happening.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When we were truck shopping, I talked with the local Toyota dealer. He said Toyota was considering a Tundra 3/4 ton with a diesel engine but they dropped it. They have no plans to make either a 3/4 or a diesel. They tend to over sell the Tundra's load capacity, though. I know they lost a sale to me because they don't have a 3/4 ton. I would have been quite happy with their gas engine, but not the 1/2 ton.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have a 2003 GMC Z71, 212k miles, bought new, replaced both catalytic converters and rebuilt the water pump. That is it for repairs. I wouldn't hesitate driving acriss country in it right now.

Had a 2007 Chevy Z71, put 94k miles on it, zero repairs at all, but it was burning some oil, but "within spec" and the mileage had dropped down from 18ish when new to in the 15's. Sold it and bought an 06, F250 6.oh-no diesel and can't wipe the smile off my face (until it blows up in my face that is) smile. Over several hundred miles of cruise control interstate, its getting 21mpg. Only has 60k miles on it and I'm going to 'bulletproof' it to take care of the issues with the engine.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Have a 2003 GMC Z71, 212k miles, bought new, replaced both catalytic converters and rebuilt the water pump. That is it for repairs. I wouldn't hesitate driving acriss country in it right now.

Had a 2007 Chevy Z71, put 94k miles on it, zero repairs at all, but it was burning some oil, but "within spec" and the mileage had dropped down from 18ish when new to in the 15's. Sold it and bought an 06, F250 6.oh-no diesel and can't wipe the smile off my face (until it blows up in my face that is) smile. Over several hundred miles of cruise control interstate, its getting 21mpg. Only has 60k miles on it and I'm going to 'bulletproof' it to take care of the issues with the engine.

Was the 2007 Chevy a 5.3 liter with "active fuel management?"

FWIW, my 99 Tacoma only needed the contacts in the starter replaced in 13 years of ownership. One reason it was hard for me to not buy another Toyota.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 09/03/12.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I had a 01 GMC Z-71. It went through a alternator, a tranny, and two fuel pumps in 70k miles.
Better through a pinch of salt over your shoulder with that 6.0. I had a friend with one and it was a nightmare.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ditto on finding parts for a Tundra on Sat. I'm on my 4th Tundra, and the next part I buy for it on Sat. or any other day of the week, will be the FIRST time. Reliable is the word. I can understand some need to buy parts for their Chevy, Dodge, and Fords, but not the reliable Toyota...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Toyota has been good to me. Hard for me to go any other way. Have a Sienna, Corolla, and Tundra right now. I'd never owned a Toyota but the last 2 GM's and 1 Dodge I owned before I bought the first Toyota all had problems at just over 100,000 miles.

Nothing except an ignition switch needed in any of the Toyota's (due to wife's monster key collection)....and 2 of the Toyota's are pushing 200,000. It's just my limited experience, but Toyota = twice the mileage with none of the problems.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAhuntr

Was the 2007 Chevy a 5.3 liter with "active fuel management?"

How did you guess? smile

Do a google search for "2007 GM 5.3" and then just let it autopopulate with the suggestions. Oil consumption is like the second or third one it suggests.

We had ours, contractor buddy at work has one, another contractor buddy at work had a 2007 Tahoe. All three burn oil.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BWalker

I had a 01 GMC Z-71. It went through a alternator, a tranny, and two fuel pumps in 70k miles.
Better through a pinch of salt over your shoulder with that 6.0. I had a friend with one and it was a nightmare.

I fully heed your salt-laced warning. smile Brother in law did a lot of research and bought one a year ago. After he got his I started reading up on them myself. Seems the main issue is when the oil cooler plugs it causes a chain reaction leading to blown head gaskets. The key is to monitor the oil temperature compared to the coolant temperature with an aftermarket system. As long as the difference is less than 15 degrees, life is good. When it gets over 10 degrees, start thinking about replacing the oil cooler with aftermarket.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by hunter01
Ditto on finding parts for a Tundra on Sat. I'm on my 4th Tundra, and the next part I buy for it on Sat. or any other day of the week, will be the FIRST time. Reliable is the word. I can understand some need to buy parts for their Chevy, Dodge, and Fords, but not the reliable Toyota...

Isn't that the truth! smile

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,395 guests, and 819 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,505
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.