Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Buck, it's red, that's all I know. Might be an old McCormick, thinking IH bought them out? Hell if I know.

CO, nice office, bet the birds and critters appreciate your efforts!

I located some good info on McCormick-Deering and International Harvester today. Seems like M-D was sort of a branch of IHC until sometime in the 1920s or so then they all became one big outfit.And it was after WWII that John Deere finally outsold IHC. Now IHC is gone but JD is still going strong.

My first year with a custom combiner was 1953. I quit a good job with North American Aviation in L.A. to go run that old Massey Harris. Glad I had sense enough to leave there. Then my boss went back to JD, then tried a Case, then an Oliver, and back to JD. I thought the Oliver was the best but the JD 55 wasn't bad.

Them's some mighty fine farm type pictures.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
The last year I got to go north with a combine crew was 1958, operating a model 55 John Deere. No cab, no power steering, and no radio. Lots of changes have been made since then. And I sure would like to try running one of these modern day JDs.

Yeah I remember those well, later than '58 tho wink. That would have been the old round backs. Remember my dad running those ....and scratching like a dog with fleas combining barley.

Hauled grain for my uncle from one of the old 65's that had the engine rather than PTO .

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Ah yes, barley.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tremendous thread, this.

growing up in the deep south,.... surrounded by Orchards and small Truck Farms had in NO way prepared me for what I found later on the Northwestern Prairies and Foothill slopes.

It sure captivated my imagination, and energies!

My old bud Stan Rogers did a pretty good song about the whole deal

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Ah yes, barley.

Wish ya hadn't said that as I started itchin' all over again! smile

Never was sure which caused the most itching; barley or oats. Both plenty bad.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Enjoyed your pics, freedumb1.

The old abandoned farmsteads always make me think there has to be a covey of huns around.

On a more serious note, they always remind me that the things I think are so important will also go that route. Makes a guy take himself a bit less serious and maybe focus more on the people and not the stuff.

Pictures 1 through 4 are farms I drive by while traveling for work.
Picture 5 was burned down and plowed the following day to turn a 112 acres of Iowa farmland into 120. My grandparents purchased the farm during the 1930's depression. The house was always a corn crib when I was growing up. (Plenty of pheasants used to hang around.) When my 96 year old grandmother passed away in 2-2011, it sold for $8,000 an acre to a young farmer in the area who rented it for the last 10 years.

I still have some boards I removed from the house, and occasionally make a frame out of them.
[Linked Image]

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Ah yes, barley.

Wish ya hadn't said that as I started itchin' all over again! smile

Never was sure which caused the most itching; barley or oats. Both plenty bad.

Yeah thats the truth - any of you fellows remember emptying those old square, wooden granaries ? A pleasure that had to be experienced to be believed at about 90F

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Oh yeah, Lorne, shoveled out many. That's why folks risked the use of a naked drag auger in those death traps. They always had wires going through them that held them together. When that auger hit a wire there was a commotion that could easily leave ya looking like the loser of a knife fight with a gang. I hope that is truly a chapter of history and not goin on any more.

Soli Deo Gloria

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
we had john deere's A & B and a international "allways stuck" 350 bucket loader........we had to ride the hay rake and stomp the lever with our foot to make the windrows....the rake was mod'ed to pulled by a tractor...cause it was made to be pulled by horses. I do not miss farming period.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Yup, when I wanted to quit organic chemistry class, I had being a farm hand to fall back on. Then I was off to the lab.

Soli Deo Gloria

IC B3

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Tremendous thread, this.

growing up in the deep south,.... surrounded by Orchards and small Truck Farms had in NO way prepared me for what I found later on the Northwestern Prairies and Foothill slopes.

It sure captivated my imagination, and energies!

My old bud Stan Rogers did a pretty good song about the whole deal

Hi Greg,

Did you really know Stan, or are you being figurative? Just wondering... I know you spent time in Canada, so perhaps you knew him. I have only met his brother Garnet, and he seems like a helluva nice fellow (with a voice much like his brother's).

I saw Stan Rogers perform live once at the Winnipeg Folk Festival (about 1978?). I wish I had discovered him earlier, so that I might have seen more of him. frown

Great song, Field behind the plow.

If I have had a wee dram o' rum, I can't help singing along whenever I hear Barrett's Privateers:

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Tremendous thread, this.

That it is.

Here is some more from my area.
I even dug out some oldies of when I helped on the farm.
And some more of friends, and a couple off the net.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Bridge near Colfax Wa.
[img]http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n581/Wageslave11/tn_480_Covered_bridge_a_jpg.jpg[/img]

Have Dog

Will Travel

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It appears that Idaho is "Gleaner" country. Is that still true today?

Mostly Big Green around here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I looked at some farming stuff today. thru the ears of my pony.....

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think they are all gone now, thank God.

A lot of them had the two sets - one about 2 - 3 feet off the floor the other 6-8 feet. Death traps.

We survived them and had few get caught in them - but then the hogs et most of the slow kids here before they got into grade school wink

It was all good - I'd do that for 3-4 days for my uncle and he'd peel off 10$ ; maybe 20$ - figured I had the world by the butt

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yo Slave

"Here is some more from my area.
And some more of friends, and a couple off the net."

Them's some mighty good pics but they really ain't "oldies" cause they gots cabs and stuff.

I was through your neck of the woods several years ago during wheat harvest time and was completely amazed at the combines, as to how they kept the threshing mechanism level all the time. And I still don't understand how they do it but they do. Looks pretty scary watching them work on the steep sidehills. Quite a feat!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I looked at some farming stuff today. thru the ears of my pony.....

[Linked Image]

Pretty good lookin' sights ya got there. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
It appears that Idaho is "Gleaner" country. Is that still true today?

Mostly Big Green around here.

I grew up liking Gleaner and running them, so I'm showing my preference. grin

Bunch of Deere and Red here also.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How many bottoms you pulling? grin

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yo Slave

"Here is some more from my area.
And some more of friends, and a couple off the net."

Them's some mighty good pics but they really ain't "oldies" cause they gots cabs and stuff.

I was through your neck of the woods several years ago during wheat harvest time and was completely amazed at the combines, as to how they kept the threshing mechanism level all the time. And I still don't understand how they do it but they do. Looks pretty scary watching them work on the steep sidehills. Quite a feat!

laugh laugh
True. Maybe I should take some pics of 36 JD or 51 IH.
I thought over 30 years was old but.........maybe not.
Hydraulics and swiveling headers are amazing aren't they.
Take care.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 59 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,184
Posts18,484,764
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.