Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
16penny Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What is the strangest that has ever happend to you out in the bush I was on stand and watched a mamma Quail walk through with several babys following her shortly after a road runner was following the same path and then all of a sudden the mamma quail shot out of the brush and hit that roadrunner like a fighting chicken and sent it the other way with a few feathers missing I couldent help it and lmfao

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll never forget the sight of a Fisher. It's movement reminded me of one of those Chinese ribbons you see at festivals, bobbing, flitting, here-then-gone, and at a speed that jolted my sensabilities.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
a couple of monkeys.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That'd make a guy double-take.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mako25
I'll never forget the sight of a Fisher. It's movement reminded me of one of those Chinese ribbons you see at festivals, bobbing, flitting, here-then-gone, and at a speed that jolted my sensabilities.

Second that, and good description. From my perch in a tree, looked like a gargantuan weasel (bigger than a house cat, smaller than a bobcat) wearing someone's mink fur coat, the fur shimmering in the sun as it barreled along through about 12in of snow. Instantly recognizable as "something you don't want to get in the way of."

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was hunting in a treestand on a new place. Had a Dairy Goat walk by complete with an attached cowbell.

Owner later said he didn't own any goats....?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I remember the first Road Runner I saw. We were hunting blue quail in SE Colorado. I was sitting on a big rock with my dog and taking a break. I saw something flitting from bush to bush and then running along between open spaces. Whomever drew the cartoon bird spent a lot of time with real ones. They run just like the cartoon bird.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Midnight, had a few, frog jumped into and immolated itself in the campfire. This was in the desert!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
sure did, but the owner of the neighboring ranch had seen them also.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Arnie -- a pal of Uncle Murray -- was a constant for several years of whitetail hunting. While not the strangest, Arnie was near the top of the strange list.

This was in the days before blaze orange, when red was legal, and the red/black lumberjack pattern was as common as snowflakes in Wisconsin's November deer season. Arnie had the grungiest hunting clothes I'd ever seen, the pattern should have been lumberjack, but the grease, dirt, and diesel fuel that loaded the fabric made him look brown. Pair that brown attire with a beard that was Santa Claus-white, and if Arnie was standing still in the woods, he'd pass for a deer - still can't believe nobody ever took a crack at him.

Don't know that he ever fired at a deer, but he would "drive" deer by walking a few steps, pointing his ancient shotgun toward the ground, and firing a shot. Every fifteen minutes or so he'd kill the sod in front of him. Easy to know where he was, and he did move deer!

Hadn't thought of him in thirty years.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Didn't see Arnie in the woods ... but I think I seen the devil.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Sagebrusher
Midnight, had a few, frog jumped into and immolated itself in the campfire. This was in the desert!

Suicide.....

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't see Arnie in the woods ... but I think I seen the devil.

Even ol' Arnie would have considered that strange.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A white weasel of some sort frollicking in the snow by my elk stand years ago, no.

I was watching the bobcat stalk up to the whitetail doe and 2 fawns as I sat in the live oak above them with my recurve Ben Pearson Hunter near Refugio, Texas in the late Sixties before my micro-flight 7(?) with a Ben Pearson Razorhead hit it in the neck at 7 yds., no , I forgot, it was when

Larry Wright and I climbed up in the big mesquite a half hour before daylight on his grandmas ranch on the fence that separated it from the famous O'Conner spread that ran from near Victoria to Refugio and down to near Austwell and Tivoli and Bayside in the gulf Coast.

We faced the Gulf and bays to the S.East awaiting daybreak and with my bow secured I shut my eyes to rest and hasten the misery of awaiting the experience of screwing up on getting an arrow in the chest of a big brush country buck heading back into the security of the essentially unhunted O'Conner Empire which rivaled the famous King Ranch to the south and east.

As I drifted into slumber brought on by the inability to sleep the Friday night before while getting gear tuned, Larry (Buck Wright) elbowed my left set of ribs and said, "Hey, what is that?" I was pissed as I opened my eyes looking SEast toward the bays and Gulf and saw a lighted area strung out a few degees long and just above the earliest rays of the dawn. I said, "airplane" and resumed my doze.

A few minute or two later Larry elbowed me and retorted, "That ain't no [bleep] airplane, look!" I did and saw the strangest sight a person could comprehend.

Coming directly over us were three Pastel white objects exactly the same color as the moon which was up and laying in the sky to the west and behind us and in the direction the three flying saucers were headed. They subtended an angle almost as large as the moon and each was trailed by a hazy mist I estimated to be about 5-7 times as long as the objects they emitted from. Theybwere not perfectly round but were slightly oblong. There was absolutely no sound whatsoever and as they passed by us by about 45degrees to the west they gently faded out of sight.

Later I deduced they had curved bottoms and had no lights we could see other than the reflection back to us from the elevated rays of the soon to rise sun to our east. As the objects circumvented the earth to the west, the suns rays were actually blocked from them by the curvature of the earth and they faded from view.

We looked at each other in amazement and each said, "Did you see that?" at the same time. It took me awhile to figure out what had happened and that earlier my dx of airplane was influenced by the fact that they were low and to the east and the reflection of them to us, and the hazy vapor or dust trail each left behind was colored and looked like 3lights adjoined due to the reflection coming to us through the lower atmosphere, and is what gives the perception of color to the yellow full moon seen just above the horizon.

As the dark gave way to dawn a flock of migrating geese passed over two apparent Neanderthals sat in a fenceline mesquite wi

Last edited by eyeball; 09/07/12.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Continued ). fence line mesquite with bows in hand and neck hair on end, waiting on our previous dream of a dead buck and wondering about the relevancy of our importance in the great scheme of things.

I have told this story to only a handful of people on this earth due to the fear of ridicule some turds on the fire shall shortly henceforth spew, but, the OP asked and i told. Besides, I'm getting old and don't give a [bleep].

Naysayers can feel free to go back and research the articles from 'The Corpus Christy Caller" Sunday editions of October and research the Sunday news stories of all the airline pilots that reported the sightings of the UFOs passing buy on their early morning flight into and out of Corpus that early Saturday morning a long time ago, before I had ever killed a deer with my bow.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
16penny Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
when sitting around the campfire at night in the desert during summer and fall the kangaroo rats will come and hang out with you strange?

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by stxhunter
a couple of monkeys.

Be more specific.

whistle

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Not exactly the 'woods', but at a be-stilted lodge on the Serengeti (it may have been in Tsavo, now that I think about it; just not sure)* in Kenya in '84, I watched an amazing scrap between a black (I think it was a black; not positive)* rhinoceros and a bull elephant, at a waterhole below the camp.

The previous night, terrified, I screamed to my brother to trust me and to not look back but run back NOW and to scale the 18' perimeter fence surrounding the compound. He'd been acting the fool and daring me to go out for a sunset stroll. I told him to piss off, and that while I'd do it in a heartbeat with a rifle, we didn't happen to have one. Well, he went ahead and did it anyway.

Anyway, as I was fed up with his getting us yelled at, at least, I told him to do whatever he wanted, but I was heading in for a drink. While on the steel 'catwalk' heading back to the main huts, I turned to see what Dr. Dumbass was doing. He was tossing rocks and looking around for whatever... I just started to turn back away again when I thought I saw movement perhaps 100 yards beyond where my brother was kneeling down. Well, it was a large female lion, in a stalk, staring at my brother. My screaming frantically and running back down at the fence was enough to convince my brother to act immediately on my say so. She had gotten to 70 yards from him when he hit the fence. Sometimes, I've wished she'd at least raked a few claws across his back, just to teach him a [bleep]' lesson.

wink

True story.

*Edited.

Last edited by kamo_gari; 09/07/12. Reason: Poor memory. I think. Maybe. ;)
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Me and two fishing/hunting buddies were up at uncles camp for the opening weekend of Walleye. We fished all day and drank a case between the 3 of us. Camp was a 30 min. Drive from the lake. Coming back that night I glanced up a mountain and caught something. Told pard to throw the heavy chevy in reverse so I can peep on it. He backed up and the 3 of us nearly schit our shorts. A giant white glowing cross on the SIDE of the mountain face in the trees. We stared for a minute and tried understanding wtf, but carried on anyways.

Got back to camp, uncle called us drunks and asked if we were smokin dope at the same time laugh . Anyways, later found out theres apparentley a Christain Missionary on the g-damn mountain. Not as cool as a goose/UFO story but close.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was plunked down in front of a bush early one morning in NM with my rifle across my knees. There was a drizzle that was not rain or mist but cool nonetheless. As the sun rose just enough to see, a tiny bird, maybe 4 inches long, flew through the bush and pulled up just in front of me to land on my barrel. It hopped from foot to foot shaking off the water then fluffed it's feathers for warmth and hunkered down waiting for the sun. As the light just struck the bird, it gave a violent wiggle to shed water then rocketed out like it had a mission in mind. I have vivid memories of that morning and that bird but never knew what type it was, just fast.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (673, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 1minute, 29aholic, 13 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,939
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.