-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Twenty years ago I was hunting in the fog South of here outside of Quilcene in a clear cut and as the fog started to rise there was at least four Albino deer in the clear cut. It was known they were in the area but it still will get your attention especially in the fog.

In that same area their also was also a buck that was at least a 5x5 about the size of small German Shepard. When I first saw him I actually thought it was a German Shepard with as set of horns tied on top of it's head but I got a dood look at him as he was within fifteen feet of me.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

GB1

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll throw in another fishing story. My brother was pulling a lure back and forth alongside the boat and we were admiring the realistic action in the clear water. From the depths a decent pike made a high speed rush at the lure and startled the crap out of us - by reflex my brother jerked the lure out of the water.

That's no way to catch fish. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My strangest 'woods' happening was night turning into day. Four of us were scattered across the woods deer hunting, about an hour before sunrise. Night turned into day for a few seconds. It was the damndest thing and I couldn't figure it out - I thought maybe I fell asleep and dreamt it. Later in the day the other three guys sheepishly admitted to the same experience. At least it was nice to know I wasn't having an aneurism or some such.

A few days later I read in the newspaper that a meteor had exploded in the atmosphere over a nearby town causing a night-into-day flash of light.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My grandmother told me that she saw what appeared to be a
squirrel "migration". Squirrels appeared to be everywhere
and were all headed in the same direction.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by noKnees
I was Bow hunting in upstate NY and I heard a deer aproaching. When I could see it and new it wasn't looking my way I stood up so I could take a shot.

As it got closer, It didn't look like any whitetail I had seen. In fact I swear it was a cow or calf elk. It was have been bigger by any whitetail with a neck darker than its body and as it walked past its butt was tan/brown not white. I didn't shoot it, although the only member of the deer family that lives around there are whitetails it just didn't look like a whitetail.

The entire encounter maybe lasted 30 seconds and to this day, I wonder if it was my mind playing tricks on me and it was a odd whitetail. Or perhaps an elk that escaped from a local elk farm or one from Pennsylviania that was on a very long walk. I would guess that the spot I was hunting was 300 miles from the Pennsylvainia elkso that doesn't seem reasonable. I wish I had either shot it or had a camera availible.

I am sure that if I were in Colorado I would have identified it as an elk in a second.. but there arn't elk in NYS.
Our camp in Pennsylvania is in Clearfield County, and not real close (at the time) to the Elk herds further east from us. My brother was still hunting down the mountain one night and came upon an elk calf bedded down on the lip of a bench looking down the hill. It took him a while to decide it wasn't a whitetail doe, and when he jumped it up, it definitely was an elk. Now they've moved closer to our area and sightings aren't as unusual.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
One of the strangest things Ive seen was the guy in this pic...we kinda called each other in one september many moons ago. This pic shows him to be what he was, a beautiful proportioned bull elk, what it doesnt show is that he was a dwarf, I doubt he stood 36 inches at the shoulder,right in every regard but one..he was a 'miniature'...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rubbish - he was just twice as far as you thought.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I believe you...even if everyone else in the whole world is laughing at you.

grin

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My grandmother had a neighbor that had a small petting zoo
and in the evening when the peacocks would start cackling
it sure scared me when I was a kid.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt

grin

Dat elk was laffin at me, cause he did most of the calling...I had to move to him....and found him layi ng in that little park, bugling from his bed! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt

grin

And if we really want to get a laff out of the rest of the world, they can check out this dude, who chased me around in my underwear....

[Linked Image]

How he got into my underwear..I'll never know....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had a big 5-point bluff-charge our pickup in Yellowstone about 1990. A week or so later I read that a big bull had gored some woman (I believe she was from Europe)in the same area. Can't help thinking he's the same bull in your picture, and was still mad as hell because you wore the shorts in your family. Jealousy.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Wel, as luck would have it, I was in Yellowstone to take those pics, back in the day when you could legally call elk in there. The sound of two bulls fighting is what woke me up in my tent, they were in the timber on the other side of the Gibbon River when the harem of cows waded across to my side...I was already out there in my BVDs with my camera, so I thought Id work to inside the harem and let out a little bugle....thats when the chasing in the underwear started, but I got that one pic snapped before I had to show him a clean pair of heels....and buns.... grin

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You say your heels were clean but you don't specify about your buns... How close was he? shocked blush

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It was after hunting season. I was driving alongside a mountian stream when we rounded a curve and caught a small 4 point buck crossing the stream. He dropped down into the water with only his antlers, eyes and nose above water. Had I not seen him before it would have looked just like any other rock in the stream with water running over it.

I stopped the truck and watched him. After 10-15 seconds he figured he had been spotted, got up, shook off and ambled on across and disappeared into the woods.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Here's a pic of an albino doe that I spotted two years ago while out with my son, scouting a spot for bowhunting. As far as I know, she's still out there too! smile

[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Jericho
My grandmother told me that she saw what appeared to be a
squirrel "migration". Squirrels appeared to be everywhere
and were all headed in the same direction.
There have historically been such when large areas run out of mast and squirrels move to other territories.

I have been lucky enough to have seen this happen twice in my life. Both times in the fall and in the Piney Creek river bottom of Polk County.

I limited out in short order one evening and couldn't believe the numbers of squirrel traveling through the timbered bottom. I met my dad at dark a mile away in the same bottom but across another creek and he had seen not one squirrel the entire pm.

Last edited by eyeball; 09/07/12.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well, no aliens, mutants, or mythical beasts, but I once opened a blind door and found a ringtail cat comfortably curled up asleep in the chair. I almost hated to disturb it.

Saw a metal contraption out in the woods in North Carolina, couldn't figure it out, and then finally realized it was a moonshiner's still, and a large one.

But probably the best one was a large metal box, on a brushy hillside in the Sierras. About as tall as me and a couple feet square. I knocked on it, shook it, walked around the other side, and found a sign that read, "earthquake sensor, University of Nevada" I guess I probably distressed a grad student, somewhere grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tarantula migration, across a rural 2 lane road through a forest, somewhere in east Texas. About a half mile of road with a spider every two feet. Each car must have killed hundreds.

Sure glad I wasn't on foot.

Bruce

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
a couple of monkeys.

In all my years in the woods I have seen lots of strange stuff but one of the strangest was like this. I was riding fence and in one place the youpon had grown up too close to the fence to go down it. Had to ride around the thicket to get back to the fence. I rounded the thicket and when I hit the fence there was this damn ape sitting on the ground eating mustang grapes off the vine.
Horse snorted and ape looked up. This thing stood up, stretched like a man would stretch, hopped over the fence and ambled off through the woods. Wasn't a sasquach it was an ape like you would see in a zoo. Never saw it again but did see a loose ape in the east Texas woods one time. Close to fifty years ago now.

Beers on me if we ever cross paths, BCR. I about hurt myself laughing reading that. A million dollar picture that'd have been. Not of the ape--of your face at seeing him!
smile

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (6mmbrfan, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 16 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,962
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.