Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
In Idaho, the plates belong to the owner, not the vehicle. If you sell one, you pull the plates and transfer the registration to whatever you buy to replace it. The buyer CAN NOT use them in any way beyond just driving it home.

A month ago, I sold an older pickup for $1700. The guy gave me $100 to hold it, then came back 2 more times and gave me $100 more each time. He finally came back tonight to pay me off and take it home. After the 2d payment, several weeks ago, I bought a newer truck so I pulled the plates, which belong to me in Idaho, and transferred them to the new one.

So, the guy picks it up tonight then has an infarction because the plates are gone. It was after DMV closing time and he was supposed to head for SD early Sunday morning with the truck, which he can't do without plates. So, he has a big problem.

He has the problem, not me. He was supposed to pay it off any number of times, the latest 2 days ago. But, he waited until the last day before he left town. If he'd come even 1 day earlier, he could have got his tags and been done with it. I gave him far more time than most guys would have done and everything was up front, including me keeping the plates which he can't use anyway. I feel no guilt at all.

He claims that in most states, the plates belong to the car and Idaho must be unique. I highly doubt that, so how does your state handle them?

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
go with the vehicle in tx, unless their personalized plates.

Last edited by stxhunter; 09/07/12.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
In Arkansas we can switch our plates to a different vehicle.

Don't believe everything you think.

You ain't learnin' nothin' when you're talking.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
they can go with the vehicle in CA unless you pay for vanity plates then you can move them, but back in PA were I grew up plates come off when vehicle changes hands (or at least they use to).

Last edited by old_willys; 09/07/12.

Ted
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In my limited dealings in Texas they give the buyer new plates and the old plates are useless. He should have paid it off yesterday and got the new plates today. Fookim

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
in MT the plates stay with the seller.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In MT:
61-3-334. Transfer of ownership of motor vehicle -- duty to remove plates. Upon the transfer of ownership of a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer, the transferor shall immediately remove the license plates from the motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
In Worshington the plates stay with the vehicle.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
go with the vehicle in tx, unless their personalized plates.

Same in CA, AK and CO.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
In Ga. You Keep Your Tag..

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In AZ you own the plate. We can get (print)1-3 day trip permits online. Does you have online service with the DMV there?

Joe

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In Washington they go with the vehicle unless they are a Vanity, Ham Radio, Disabled Vet, Handicapped or Special Issue Plate.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
here they stay with the vehicle,unless personalized.
I have started to remove them until the title is transfered ,though.Illegals will buy a car with good tabs,and drive the vehicle until the tabs expire.(without transfering ownership.)

Last edited by fluffy; 09/07/12.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In WY they stay with the seller. I just transferred my wifes off her Explorer to her new car. The County Treasurer gave us credit fir the unused portion from the old car on the new car.

The buyer of a used car can drive on the title/bill of sale for 15 days IIRC so they can get plates.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
In Florida the plate belongs to the owner

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by toad
in MT the plates stay with the seller.

And if the transaction takes place during the time that DMV is closed, the seller can write out a permit for the buyer and I think it is good for thirty days. Same in Wyoming.

The Mayans had it right. If youοΏ½re going to predict the future, itοΏ½s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Rock Chuck,

The guy is an imbecile for having a fit about the plates. Perhaps he is mostly concerned that he might be pulled over for lack of plates and he has no insurance or driver's license.

I purchase most of my vehicles used as private party sales. In Idaho, a bill of sale (which I am sure you gave to this character) gives him three business days to acquire license/registration. Also, in Idaho, state law requires that if you have insurance on any vehicle, your new vehicle is automatically covered for a reasonable amount of time. (the specific length of which I am now unsure) Which gives one a bit of lee way to notify the insurance carrier.

If one gets pulled over for no plates, one simply shows the Officer the bill of sale and insurance papers on ones other rig. I have been there a couple of times.

Of course, as previously alluded to, one does have to have a driver's license and previous insurance. And it might be considered exceptionally stupid to use the newly acquired, unlicensed vehicle to mule a large shipment of dope.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
In Mississippi the seller takes the plates off the vehicle, they do not go with the vehicle. You can't transfer them to another vehicle, but you can take them to the courthouse and they'll credit you for the remaining time on the registration. If you get a new vehicle you get a new license plate with a new number. A buyer has 30 days to register the vehicle. If you get pulled over for no plates a dated bill of sale will keep you out of trouble.

That being said, I wouldn't want to take a vehicle with no plates into a neighboring state, cops there might not know the vehicle is legal under mississippi law. At the least the guy who bought your truck did a poor job of planning his trip, it was pretty dumb to show up on Friday evening to pick up a truck for an out of state trip. I'd want to make sure I had the license situation straightened out before an out of state trip. Buying a vehicle out of state and driving it back is one thing, but this doesn't sound like that.

As the saying goes, poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
In Florida the tag stays with the owner, not the car. You then transfer them to your new car.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We keep them in VA. We can also get temporary "transport" tags for just that situation.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 17Hunter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 47 invisible), 18,091 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,961
Posts18,539,643
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.