-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
one thing I like about MT. if you have an older vehicle, an ATV or trailer, you can buy permanent plates, it a great deal if you don't plan on selling the vehicle. Of course in Wyoming, I don't know how legal this was but we had one plate that went to the horse trailers, we had it on a magnet and just slapped it on what ever trailer was being used, rarely were any of our trailers on a public road for more than about 50 feet.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
They stay with you in Florida. I have no idea about TN now that I'm here. I do know my boat trailer and cargo trailer aren't required to have plates.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Trailer plates may be transferred from one trailer to the next, except that plates may not be transferred between a utility trailer and a boat trailer .

When renewing a trailer plate, I mentioned to the gal that I had used that plate on several trailers, she informed me that was "Illegal". I have not read the law, so cannot offer more that what she said.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 700LH
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Trailer plates may be transferred from one trailer to the next, except that plates may not be transferred between a utility trailer and a boat trailer .

When renewing a trailer plate, I mentioned to the gal that I had used that plate on several trailers, she informed me that was "Illegal". I have not read the law, so cannot offer more that what she said.

Yes, that is correct. The plate is registered to the individual trailer it is to be used on. But, if you sell one boat trailer, and purchase another boat trailer you can have the plate officially transferred to the new trailer for a small fee. If it is a ten year plate and only six months old, the transfer is considerably cheaper than purchasing a new 10 yr plate.

The plate from you old utility/stock trailer may also be officially transferred to a new trailer upon purchase of the newer trailer.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I have 3 homemade trailers. None have any ID, title, or any other means of identification. The registration doesn't even show the number of axles. Why pay a fee to transfer a license from one to the other when nobody but me knows which is which? It doesn't make sense to pay them to print out a new registration that's identical in every way to the old one.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I am not so lucky. The registration on my horse trailer says it is white, and it is identified as a horse trailer. The registration on the 3 axle flatbed identifies it as a brown utility trailer. The registration on the garbage trailer identifies it as a red pickup box. And the registration on the boat trailer identifies it as a boat trailer.

I keep individual plates and current registration on each of them. The four registration slips are in the glove box of the Chevy 3/4 ton as that is the only rig I will be pulling them with.

I am sure it is cheaper to buy the plates than to pay the ticket if I got caught using the wrong plate on one of the trailers.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I have plates for all of my trailers, too, but just for convenience. For a long time I just had 1. I just got tired of switching them around and wondering if I'd forgotten. I did that a couple times but didn't get stopped.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
In Idaho, the plates belong to the owner, not the vehicle. If you sell one, you pull the plates and transfer the registration to whatever you buy to replace it. The buyer CAN NOT use them in any way beyond just driving it home.

A month ago, I sold an older pickup for $1700. The guy gave me $100 to hold it, then came back 2 more times and gave me $100 more each time. He finally came back tonight to pay me off and take it home. After the 2d payment, several weeks ago, I bought a newer truck so I pulled the plates, which belong to me in Idaho, and transferred them to the new one.

So, the guy picks it up tonight then has an infarction because the plates are gone. It was after DMV closing time and he was supposed to head for SD early Sunday morning with the truck, which he can't do without plates. So, he has a big problem.

He has the problem, not me. He was supposed to pay it off any number of times, the latest 2 days ago. But, he waited until the last day before he left town. If he'd come even 1 day earlier, he could have got his tags and been done with it. I gave him far more time than most guys would have done and everything was up front, including me keeping the plates which he can't use anyway. I feel no guilt at all.

He claims that in most states, the plates belong to the car and Idaho must be unique. I highly doubt that, so how does your state handle them?
Like yours - the plates belong to the owner, not the vehicle.. If/when we sell a car or light truck the plates stay with the owner and are transferred to the new vehicle..

In MN, it's the opposite - which has caused no shortage of problems for the seller if the new owner does not transfer title directly..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,163 guests, and 1,078 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,561
Posts18,531,616
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.