Print Thread
Hop To
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Hi,I have a Remington 760 30-06 that has a crack in the wrist area of the buttstock.
The crack is about an inch and a half long and starts at the rear of the reciever close to half an inch from the top and of course extends to the rear.
What would be the best and easiest way to repair this crack ?
I would prefer this to look really good without refinishing the wood.
Thanks
Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
See if This Thread helps.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
There's not much room to utilize dowels in the wrist of a 760 stock . I drill a 5/64 hole right through the center of the crack from the top of the stock . Then I use a SS serrated siding nail with the head cut off and cut to length for the drilled hole of course . I also remove the point from the nail . Mix some Accra Gel , open the crack enough to fill it , Then coat the nail with gel and insert it into the drilled hole 2 or 3 times to make sure it's full . Then clamp and let cure 24 hours . Of course you want to die the Gel to match the stock ! Piece of cake . All that other info about solid stocks doesn't apply to the hollow grip of the 760 !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Hi,thanks for he iformation.I appreciate it .
A few questions please.
Do I drrill the hole all the way through the stock,do I leave the nail in the hole ?
Thanks
Craig
Ps. I hope I described the location correctly. The crach can be seen from the side of the pistol grip and not the top. It is just that looking at the crack from the side it is the distance from the top of the pistol grip.

Last edited by bcraig; 09/04/12.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A photo might help if you can post one...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I cant post one yet, I havent had the rifle delivered to my gun dealer yet.
Should be in this week.
Craig

Last edited by bcraig; 09/04/12.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do not install metal pins to fix wood stocks... The glue will seperate from the pin and it does absolutely nothing to control spreading. Drilling lengthwise through the crack will deliver more grip and toughness than the original wood by a great deal... And most stocks never crack.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Do not install metal pins to fix wood stocks... The glue will seperate from the pin and it does absolutely nothing to control spreading. Drilling lengthwise through the crack will deliver more grip and toughness than the original wood by a great deal... And most stocks never crack.

I've fixed more than a few my way , with no returns . Leave the nail in the hole for sure , don't drill all the way through , and don't drill at a right angle to the crack either you want it to have a binding effect . the glue can't seperate from a serrated pin !

Last edited by oneoldsap; 09/05/12.

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
After more than a little time testing actual strengths in controlled settings, metal pins are worthless, serrated, ringshank, allthread, you name it...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Craig,

This is a no-brainer if you just stop and think. 760 stocks are readily available and cheap. Don't bother with trying to repair it and wind up with something you might not trust. Just buy another either in synthetic which can be lighter and more durable or replacement wood.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1moredeer, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,400
Posts18,470,126
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.