Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
They do have a locking front diff..... It just isn't selectable by the rider.

Which I was rather hesitant about at first, but has now definately proven itself to me.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
GB1

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm a Honda guy and not threatened at all about new tech. I encourage it. But there is no arguing that what Honda has works.

With the frame issues Can-Am has, I'm not touching that. reading up on them many will say an accident caused the break. if that is the case, whey is Can-Am making a 'repair" for them?

You can have all the power you want, if you can't keep the equipment together, what good does it do you?

Camp is where you make it.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If you do more research, you'll find that the cracks that have appeared are more cosmetic than anything else. Nowhere is there any reports of frame failure. Frame crack, yes, failure, no. Pretty important distinction there really. And in my opinion it's likely the same sort of thing of where the internet has blown it up out of proportion.

And really, one can certainly say that what Honda HAD worked, now, not so much..... Old Honda's are bulletproof, new ones definately aren't.

But to each their own, I really don't care what anyone else rides, as long as they actually ride one, and not just beak about something they read that may have happened on the internet.

Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
If you do more research, you'll find that the cracks that have appeared are more cosmetic than anything else.

In my research I found that statement to be completely false. They ARE cracking and they ARE causing accidents.In fact on one of the Can-Am sites there is a woman that is suing Can-Am because they believe the frame issue was the cause of a crash by her husband, which I believe resulted in his death.

Why would Can-Am come up with a frame support for a "purely cosmetic" frame cracking issue.

It's been going on for years and Can-Am is just now starting to recognize they have a problem.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Pretty sure a woman sued macdonalds down there for spilling hot coffee on herself as well didn't she? Seems pretty common to sue in the lower 48 when you [bleep] up, as opposed to taking responsibility, no?

When a court finds liability, then your statement has merit, I suppose.

Its statements like yours that result in stuff like frame gussets. Enough bad press, and companies issue fixes and recalls.... Example, bolt retrofitting in Remmie 700's, because idiots shoot themselves through poor gun handling, etc.

I agree that frames shouldn't have stress points such as that, but it isn't like if a support beam gets a stress line your machine will rip in half at 70 miles an hour.

IC B2

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Don't get pissed at me, I didn't design a frame that cracks. They're NOT cosmetic or Can-Am wouldn't be fixing it. Doesn't matter....I'm not buying one. They haven't been able to fix this issue for what, 10 years?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
For $7000 bucks, your seat should not melt under your ASS!

Mine melted! Google.... Can-am seat melting

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Like I said tzone, I really don't care what anyone else buys, or doesn't buy.

But there hasn't been "ten years" of frame breaking, unless maybe you are thinking of suzuuki?

And I'm certainly not mad, it's the internet.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think old Hondas were simple and all the rage now is the quad has to have this and that. When you add all this new, extra stuff. There will be more probs but I would still say there isn't another quad made more reliable than a Honda maybe some as reliable but I doubt there are any that are more.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
IC B3

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I think you could flip a coin on the yamaha's for being as or more reliable than the honda.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think lack of a belt swings it in honda's favor. But I do think yammy's are the most reliable belt driven tranny

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was a bit concerned about the belts on these machines, at least on the Yamaha we were looking at last fall. However, after running it for 5000 miles, I hardly think the belt is a big concern. Inspect it periodically and change it at intervals appropriate to the use you give the machine and you won't have issues. Certainly a belt is easier to change than is a piston.

"Honda" is the commonly used generic term for a quad bike in many parts of rural Alaska. That should tell you something. The fact that other brands are now making significant inroads into these areas - often a brand switch by people who have run nothing but Honda for over 30 years- tells another story. "Reliable" sells out here.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I like Honda. I have one, and have had one in the past. I have a Foreman 450 4x4. A trail machine it is not! I'd not hesitate to use it for any type of work though.

I still think Polaris has the nicest ride and has for many years. I'm hoping the reliability is coming back a bit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
I think you could flip a coin on the yamaha's for being as or more reliable than the honda.

Yes Sir the yammy's a good solid all around bike.I sure like them.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Just hunted hard for second season with my '11 Can Am Outlander. No issues other than brute power, excellent comfort, and unfailing service.

Some guys buy a machine and flog the dog snot, drop it off a building, drown it, and get mad when something breaks. Happens all the time, ask any maintenance mechanic at any shop at any dealer.

The only two machines that gave us trouble on this year's hunts were Yamahas. A person can, and will, break anything.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like Honda. I have one, and have had one in the past. I have a Foreman 450 4x4. A trail machine it is not! I'd not hesitate to use it for any type of work though.

I still think Polaris has the nicest ride and has for many years. I'm hoping the reliability is coming back a bit.

I've got the same exact machine and IMO, Honda nailed it with this machine when it comes to utility quads. I'll be looking for a new machine pretty soon though, the Foreman wasn't built for comfort and I ain't get any younger! eek

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That's the exact reason I'm looking for another. They ride like a 3/4 ton truck.

I'm going to keep it though and use it for ice fishing and deer pulling duty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I haven't read all this thread.
A fellow from MN. has a HONDA? grin
I have a Polaris DU 500 from 01 with 7000+ on it.
I have gone on maybe a hundred back country rides with buds that have the gamet of brands.
I have never, ever had ANY down time or stoppage. (except for one time I ran out of gas about a 1 1/2 from the truck).
I have pulled about all brands out though.
It seems to me the 2004 Polaris year did suck though.
I also have a 550xp Browning 2010 with power steering.
That is a great wheeler, so far.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's the exact reason I'm looking for another. They ride like a 3/4 ton truck.

I'm going to keep it though and use it for ice fishing and deer pulling duty.

I'll be keeping mine too, it's too damned reliable to get rid of it. Should my next rig go down for some reason, i've got old reliable as a backup. Win/win!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.