Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#6858565 09/10/12
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Does anyone know if the frame issues have been fixed instead of "addressed." The website says they've been strengthened, but I'd like to hear from anyone that has any experience with them.

I'm not going to take the dealers word for it. wink Especially since they have some pretty good deals on the outlander's right now.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
the 2013 now come with a frame brace but after reading this thread on can am forum http://www.can-amforum.com/forums/can-am-brp/37936-gen2-frame-cracking-got-question-brp.html i don't think i would take the chance.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
If they have to come up with a brace...it's not fixed.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by tzone
If they have to come up with a brace...it's not fixed.

They had "Spar" breakage issues in 03-04, (among a ton of other problems) that they wouldn't fix for owners,& they still have "Spar" breakage issues shocked

Unless you want that ton of HP, I see not a single reason to purchase one.

Last edited by senior; 09/12/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
stick with honda or yamaha...get a grizz 700 if you want power

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
There is NO comparison in power or ride between the Grizz and the Can Am....

I owned both, they are completely different machines. Guess which I've still got.......

The ride and power delivery on the Can Am is beyond compare. There is simply nothing else out there that comes close to it.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can-Am needs a back up pull start period.When that comes I'll be the first in line.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'd hate to run into the guy that could pullstart a V Twin in a dark alley....

Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have a 650 V Twin pulls fairly easy unless said person is lame or a feeb.Honda Suzuki Kawi all have them on efi models.Why not Cam Am?Apart from that they kick everybodies azz cleanly

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well after checking all I care to on the new models. There is no chance I'm going to spend my money on them.

The frame is still an issue and has been since they were made. You'd think you could get some engineering to fix the problem, instead of a bolt on fix. If you need that, there is an issue. Redesign the frame! Just because something is new, doesn't mean it works.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Have a 650 V Twin pulls fairly easy unless said person is lame or a feeb.Honda Suzuki Kawi all have them on efi models.Why not Cam Am?Apart from that they kick everybodies azz cleanly

Wonder how that works with the pressurized fuel pump system?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ask them but they do

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Not arguing, had a look online at them. Seriously just wondering how that works with a pressurized fuel injected system to initially start them is all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy a can-am if:

You want a cracked frame
If it helps your ego to say my quad is faster than yours
If you regularly drive your quad over 50mph
If you want a utility quad that's as fast as a sport quad
If you don't want a true front locking differential
If you don't mind bringing extra belts with you in the field
If you like the color yellow
If the sound of your quad is important to you

No Doubt they are impressive in terms of speed and performance. I would say the solid rear axle on my foreman is built for more "work" than the IRS on the can-am. For almost double the cost of my foreman, they cannot tow or pull nowhere near double the weight and then there that belt thingy that tends to break at the wrong time.

I would look at a rincon if I wanted an All IRS bike. Power nowhere near the can-am but thy have. A great suspension.

Any compnay that cant get the broken frame issue right for years wouldn't get my money.

Last edited by SAKO75; 09/13/12.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I purchased a Can-am 650 in 2009 and traded it in 3 months later for a Kawasaki 750I.

Can-am Cons
1. Rotary engine puts off so much heat you can toast bread if you tied a loaf to your pants leg.
2. You must wrap heat resistance cloth on muffler under the seat & heat resistance tape on the underside of seat or it will melt(mine did).
3. If you let the battery die, the computer will not let you re-start unless you remember the code.
4. Brakes will wear out in 300 miles

All this happened to me.

Can-am Pro's

1. It's fast..very fast.

I like my Kawasaki...no issues at all!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup the Brutes a Top notch machine would take it over a Rincon easy.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I would too. I've never been a fan of the Rincon. I'm not sure what Honda was doing there. It was a weird way for them to get in the big bore market.

I hate to say it but after riding a Polaris 550LE EPS model for a good bit a few weeks ago, I'm going to give them a serious look again. Might have to eat some crow on that one. grin

Last edited by tzone; 09/13/12.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by SAKO75
Buy a can-am if:

You want a cracked frame
If it helps your ego to say my quad is faster than yours
If you regularly drive your quad over 50mph
If you want a utility quad that's as fast as a sport quad
If you don't want a true front locking differential
If you don't mind bringing extra belts with you in the field
If you like the color yellow
If the sound of your quad is important to you

No Doubt they are impressive in terms of speed and performance. I would say the solid rear axle on my foreman is built for more "work" than the IRS on the can-am. For almost double the cost of my foreman, they cannot tow or pull nowhere near double the weight and then there that belt thingy that tends to break at the wrong time.

I would look at a rincon if I wanted an All IRS bike. Power nowhere near the can-am but thy have. A great suspension.

Any compnay that cant get the broken frame issue right for years wouldn't get my money.

Laughin'......

OR, you buy one because you want the most comfortable machine with the best ergonomics and power delivery to the ground available.

You honda guys get so threatened when anyone points out that there has been new technology available for atv's for decades....

Know another reason people buy Can Am's over Honda's? They want to be able to stop on demand......(grin)

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've enjoyed my CanAm. It's an older model, lots of power, has been dependable. Pulls like a mule.

...I've not checked my frame but will this weekend. Considering the frame problems I read about yesterday, I don't think I'd buy one again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KodiakHntr

Laughin'......

OR, you buy one because you want the most comfortable machine with the best ergonomics and power delivery to the ground available.

You honda guys get so threatened when anyone points out that there has been new technology available for atv's for decades....

Know another reason people buy Can Am's over Honda's? They want to be able to stop on demand......(grin)

no doubt can-am's have the "most" power/speed....and a nice ride with all kinds of bells and whistles....for the money, the frames shouldnt break and they should have a front locking diff and there is always the potential for the belt to fail..

― George Orwell, 1984
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
They do have a locking front diff..... It just isn't selectable by the rider.

Which I was rather hesitant about at first, but has now definately proven itself to me.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm a Honda guy and not threatened at all about new tech. I encourage it. But there is no arguing that what Honda has works.

With the frame issues Can-Am has, I'm not touching that. reading up on them many will say an accident caused the break. if that is the case, whey is Can-Am making a 'repair" for them?

You can have all the power you want, if you can't keep the equipment together, what good does it do you?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If you do more research, you'll find that the cracks that have appeared are more cosmetic than anything else. Nowhere is there any reports of frame failure. Frame crack, yes, failure, no. Pretty important distinction there really. And in my opinion it's likely the same sort of thing of where the internet has blown it up out of proportion.

And really, one can certainly say that what Honda HAD worked, now, not so much..... Old Honda's are bulletproof, new ones definately aren't.

But to each their own, I really don't care what anyone else rides, as long as they actually ride one, and not just beak about something they read that may have happened on the internet.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
If you do more research, you'll find that the cracks that have appeared are more cosmetic than anything else.

In my research I found that statement to be completely false. They ARE cracking and they ARE causing accidents.In fact on one of the Can-Am sites there is a woman that is suing Can-Am because they believe the frame issue was the cause of a crash by her husband, which I believe resulted in his death.

Why would Can-Am come up with a frame support for a "purely cosmetic" frame cracking issue.

It's been going on for years and Can-Am is just now starting to recognize they have a problem.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Pretty sure a woman sued macdonalds down there for spilling hot coffee on herself as well didn't she? Seems pretty common to sue in the lower 48 when you [bleep] up, as opposed to taking responsibility, no?

When a court finds liability, then your statement has merit, I suppose.

Its statements like yours that result in stuff like frame gussets. Enough bad press, and companies issue fixes and recalls.... Example, bolt retrofitting in Remmie 700's, because idiots shoot themselves through poor gun handling, etc.

I agree that frames shouldn't have stress points such as that, but it isn't like if a support beam gets a stress line your machine will rip in half at 70 miles an hour.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Don't get pissed at me, I didn't design a frame that cracks. They're NOT cosmetic or Can-Am wouldn't be fixing it. Doesn't matter....I'm not buying one. They haven't been able to fix this issue for what, 10 years?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
For $7000 bucks, your seat should not melt under your ASS!

Mine melted! Google.... Can-am seat melting

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Like I said tzone, I really don't care what anyone else buys, or doesn't buy.

But there hasn't been "ten years" of frame breaking, unless maybe you are thinking of suzuuki?

And I'm certainly not mad, it's the internet.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think old Hondas were simple and all the rage now is the quad has to have this and that. When you add all this new, extra stuff. There will be more probs but I would still say there isn't another quad made more reliable than a Honda maybe some as reliable but I doubt there are any that are more.

― George Orwell, 1984
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I think you could flip a coin on the yamaha's for being as or more reliable than the honda.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think lack of a belt swings it in honda's favor. But I do think yammy's are the most reliable belt driven tranny

― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was a bit concerned about the belts on these machines, at least on the Yamaha we were looking at last fall. However, after running it for 5000 miles, I hardly think the belt is a big concern. Inspect it periodically and change it at intervals appropriate to the use you give the machine and you won't have issues. Certainly a belt is easier to change than is a piston.

"Honda" is the commonly used generic term for a quad bike in many parts of rural Alaska. That should tell you something. The fact that other brands are now making significant inroads into these areas - often a brand switch by people who have run nothing but Honda for over 30 years- tells another story. "Reliable" sells out here.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I like Honda. I have one, and have had one in the past. I have a Foreman 450 4x4. A trail machine it is not! I'd not hesitate to use it for any type of work though.

I still think Polaris has the nicest ride and has for many years. I'm hoping the reliability is coming back a bit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think you could flip a coin on the yamaha's for being as or more reliable than the honda.

Yes Sir the yammy's a good solid all around bike.I sure like them.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Just hunted hard for second season with my '11 Can Am Outlander. No issues other than brute power, excellent comfort, and unfailing service.

Some guys buy a machine and flog the dog snot, drop it off a building, drown it, and get mad when something breaks. Happens all the time, ask any maintenance mechanic at any shop at any dealer.

The only two machines that gave us trouble on this year's hunts were Yamahas. A person can, and will, break anything.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like Honda. I have one, and have had one in the past. I have a Foreman 450 4x4. A trail machine it is not! I'd not hesitate to use it for any type of work though.

I still think Polaris has the nicest ride and has for many years. I'm hoping the reliability is coming back a bit.

I've got the same exact machine and IMO, Honda nailed it with this machine when it comes to utility quads. I'll be looking for a new machine pretty soon though, the Foreman wasn't built for comfort and I ain't get any younger! eek

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That's the exact reason I'm looking for another. They ride like a 3/4 ton truck.

I'm going to keep it though and use it for ice fishing and deer pulling duty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I haven't read all this thread.
A fellow from MN. has a HONDA? grin
I have a Polaris DU 500 from 01 with 7000+ on it.
I have gone on maybe a hundred back country rides with buds that have the gamet of brands.
I have never, ever had ANY down time or stoppage. (except for one time I ran out of gas about a 1 1/2 from the truck).
I have pulled about all brands out though.
It seems to me the 2004 Polaris year did suck though.
I also have a 550xp Browning 2010 with power steering.
That is a great wheeler, so far.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's the exact reason I'm looking for another. They ride like a 3/4 ton truck.

I'm going to keep it though and use it for ice fishing and deer pulling duty.

I'll be keeping mine too, it's too damned reliable to get rid of it. Should my next rig go down for some reason, i've got old reliable as a backup. Win/win!

Steelhead

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Honda was always my standard to judge 4 wheelers. It just got to where I couldn't tolerate the ride any longer.

I went on a search last year, tested them all, it came down to Can Am & Polaris.

I'm eating crow here, I went back to Polaris.

Overall I found the 550 Sportsman to be the best overall value and ride.

One of my friends bought a new Can Am, IIRC its a 1000. He rode my 550 and wishes he bought the Polaris.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Oh I like the new Polaris' just fine from what I've seen. Vast improvements from the one I used to have.

I also have friends that work there, so I'd like to support them as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You couldn't run fast enough to give me a free Polaris don't care who works there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You couldn't run fast enough to give me a free Polaris don't care who works there.

Sweet.
Stick with the Yammi.
No biggie to me.
For the record, 5, as in five, Yammi dealers, have closed in a 50 mile radius of here in the last year.
Polaris zero.
Polaris stock.......kicking azz.
You decide.
I'm happy with Polaris.

Have Dog

Will Travel

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I thought the Griz 450 EPS was your next bike? What happened?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wageslave

Sweet.
Stick with the Yammi.
No biggie to me.
For the record, 5, as in five, Yammi dealers, have closed in a 50 mile radius of here in the last year.
Polaris zero.
You decide.
I'm happy with Polaris.

A lot of that Polaris stock going up has to do with sled sales, not their wheelers. Personally, their wheelers are ugly as sin and have too much plastic BUT, if I could swing it i'd buy one of their new Rzrs in a heartbeat.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Worth mentioning is balance,as in back flips.With the 700 Yammi,the two guys I've met who had them flipped them,backwards.

My 08 Can-Am goes slower down hill than a new Honda or for that matter the 08 Honda he had before. This is very,very good thing.

The Can-Am also keeps four tires down instead of only two when bouncing along a trail,same two Hondas as above.

What the Cam-Am doesn't do as well is turn around in tight quarters,three instead of two,and the power comes on fast and hard,making feathering difficult.

I think the people who make Ski-Doos would know how to make a good belt drive.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2

I think the people who make Ski-Doos would know how to make a good belt drive.

Then why don't they put a clutch in them instead of slipping the belt everytime you start frown

Some other brands cost more but there's reasons for it, little things like a "wet clutch" that costs more to produce but as long as your interested in nothing more than throttle down you'll never notice wink

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by slip_sinker
I thought the Griz 450 EPS was your next bike? What happened?

I have friends that work for Polaris and I'd like to support them and their community. I can't argue that Yammi makes a better bike. I'm sure of that.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks. Let me ask y'all this. Anybody feel free to chime in as well.

I have an '11 Foreman 500 w/ PS. I bought it b/c it is air cooled, solid rear axle, and foot shift. I'm old school and didn't want a belt or all the moving parts of IRS. I'm a Honda guy. Grew up on 'em. Several Ranchers in the family with no problems. Honda made several changes to the Foreman for '12 that I didn't like so I bought an '11 with the intention of keeping it....well, forever. This model should last that long, right?

It's been fine up until now. I just spent a week in New Mexico riding in the mountains including forest service roads, trails, over roots and rocks, lots of slow crawling. Wife and kid was with me. I thought I had made the best choice for what I do. I don't do any of the serious mudding you hear of down this way. I don't do any serious work or pulling with it. I need a wheeler mainly for trails, hunting, a little mud, rock crawling, fun etc.

I discovered two major things last week. I don't like that solid rear axle that much after all, and I don't like searching for the right gear. Going up steep inclines it was either 1st/2nd was too low or 2nd/3rd was too high. Around here the shifting doesn't bother me but up there it did. Wife didn't like how bumpy the ride was on some of the trails either.

So I'm reconsidering my choice and thinking of going with a Yamaha Grizzly. I'm mainly looking at the 450 EPS but will consider the 550 EPS as well.

I've said all that to ask these two questions. In looking at these Grizzlies, I've noticed that the 450 has a high compression ratio compared to other popular models. In keeping with my "I want it to last forever" (ok, at least 20 trouble free years)...

1) Is the 10:1 an attempt to make up for something?

...and more importantly

2) Will the 10:1 on the 450 have any adverse affects on the longevity of the OHC motor....compared to some of the others with a lower compression ratio?

Griz 450 10.0:1
'12 Foreman 500 9.5:1
Griz 550 9.3:1
Kawi BF 750i 9.3:1
Griz 700 9.2:1
Honda 300 Fourtrax 9.0:1 (Guy w/ us was riding a '92 he bought new; was in great condition)
Big Bear 400 8.6:1
My '11 Foreman 500 8.5:1
Polaris doesn't list their CRs.
Interesting that the last three with the lowest CRs are all foot shift, standard auto-clutch transmissions.

Sorry for the rambling. I thought I did my homework the first time. If I decide to sell this Foreman I want to make an informed decision on the next one. Again, mainly looking at the 450.

Thanks

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I wouldn't concentrate on compression ratio, it's only a single part of the ignition timing, cam timing, engine tune ratio, they're all designed to work together.

If considering the Yam 450-550 choice, unless Yam has changed the 450 this yr, they are built on a quite a bit smaller frame, as such they have less ground clearance, less suspension travel, & I find a cramped cockpit unless your vertically challenged.
As for the belt system, I just checked my neighbors Yam belt, after 12,000 miles of mostly a work life, the grease was still clean & the belt measured in the "as new" range, thats the advantage of CVT belt systems with a wet clutch, they're designed to not slip the belt to get under way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by wageslave

Sweet.
Stick with the Yammi.
No biggie to me.
Polaris zero.
You decide.
I'm happy with Polaris.

A lot of that Polaris stock going up has to do with sled sales, not their wheelers. Personally, their wheelers are ugly as sin and have too much plastic BUT, if I could swing it i'd buy one of their new Rzrs in a heartbeat.

Actually, snow machines are flat.
Orv is kicking azz. Some of that is the xp line, but more so Rzrs.
Military use of Rzrs is WAY up.

Have Dog

Will Travel

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by senior
I wouldn't concentrate on compression ratio, it's only a single part of the ignition timing, cam timing, engine tune ratio, they're all designed to work together.

If considering the Yam 450-550 choice, unless Yam has changed the 450 this yr, they are built on a quite a bit smaller frame

The Yammi 450 is physcially smaller than the 550/700 but a good margin. That is what I liked about them. But the next machine I get will be almost strictly a trail machine. The Foreman 450s will be the hunting/ice fishing machine. So I don't think I'll mind a bigger machine. If you're wife and kid will be on it, I'd get a bigger one.

The 550/700 is also fuel injected and the 450 isn't. That may or may not make a difference to you.

The reason I'd like to get another wheeler, is the ride and power of the Honda. It's just not there for a long day on the trails.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

We bought our 450 EPS in September 2011. Presently it has 5800 miles on it. It hasn't been perfectly trouble-free, but it has given excellent, go-anywhere, reliable service, and it seems pretty much the same now that it did the day we picked it up.

Let me list the problems we have had so far.

-The breather tube froze up last winter when the temps were in the -30�s F.* That caused crankcase pressure to push the seal out behind the clutch, flooding the clutches with oil and ultimately burning,glazing the belt. Yamaha has a very good design which made all repairs quite simple and easily done with basic mechanical skills.

- The throttle cable cover cracked in the cold, causing the throttle to stick and pull a bit when the steering is turning hard one way.

-Both upper IRS boots failed between 4000-5000 miles, (perhaps due in part to the use in the cold?) The boot is essential for maintaining the captive grease which lubes the joint. The kit includes all needed parts including new grease and snap rings; takes less than an hour to replace.

The belt drive is a distinctly different feel on the 450 compared to typical gear drive ATVs. It won't 'snap' you at take-off. Neither will it burn a belt. The machine feels different to drive but it doesn't feel undersized for my 200-plus pound, 5-11 frame.

We bought the carbed 450 instead of the 550 FI because we wanted the simpler to troubleshoot and cold-start system. I don't regret it, and the Yamaha has been perfectly reliable in the cold, though we have had to add heat to start the engine when it's very cold. Honda carb systems have always been a bit finicky in the cold, especially the way their chokes works - or don't.

*By contrast, I've blown a crankcase gasket out the bottom when the breather iced up on a Honda TRX 300, causing the loss of oil, piston seizure, and major damage. A friend's Rancher 420(?) trapped enough water when the breather plugged so that the oil pump was cracked when ice jammed it. Subsequent major engine damage required full overhaul. I'm not hating on Honda or anything else, just pointing out that cold weather can cause serious issues in these motors.

[Linked Image]

I'd gladly buy this same machine again, or even the 550.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by senior
If considering the Yam 450-550 choice, unless Yam has changed the 450 this yr, they are built on a quite a bit smaller frame, as such they have less ground clearance, less suspension travel, & I find a cramped cockpit unless your vertically challenged.
Ground clearance is exactly the same at 10.8", suspension travel is better on the 550, wife and I are 5'7" so the 450 should be big enough. The 550/700s seem huge but I still haven't found a 450 to look at so I don't know.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Klik, great write up. Many thanks. I gotta admit though, I'm sitting here reading your points and thinking "I live in Texas" laugh

The EFI, or lack of it, doesn't sway me one way or the other.

You mention it feels different than typical machines and won't snap you....how does it do on those rocks there in that picture..ie, crawling? Enough torque?

I've checked two dealers this week and neither have a 450 for me to test drive.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would imagine, in warmer climes, you would have none of the significant wear or problems related that we have, so far, had.

The rocks? No problem at all, it was just a slow lumpy crawl which saved a very long, only slightly less lumpy tundra ride to get around. The Yamaha clutch seems nothing like the snowmachine clutches I am also very familiar with. In fact, though similar in basic design, they are very different in important details. Consequently, unlike a snowmachine's belt on which one can quite easily ruin belts and clutches if they get run foolishly, I think it would take a lot of effort to ruin the belts or clutches on one of the Grizzlies, at least the 450 version. One of the things about the EPS feature I really appreciate is the fact that I traversed a wide rock field and was on tundra again before I realized that my arms and shoulders hadn't been yanked one way or another a single time in crossing. EPS is very effective - and when it first came out, I figured power steering on ATVs was a wussifiication feature that no real man would want, let alone need.

FWIW, We had to make a short move this past spring which involved pulling a Chevy Astro van on about 1/2 mile of dirt road, not all of it level. The front end was raised on a dolly which we hooked to our Griz. The 'little' 450 had no trouble doing the job with all four wheels engaged. The motor worked, to be sure, but the belt was not an issue at all in the low range I used.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Ground clearance is exactly the same at 10.8", suspension travel is better on the 550, wife and I are 5'7" so the 450 should be big enough. The 550/700s seem huge but I still haven't found a 450 to look at so I don't know.

They really do seem huge. Wait til you compare them side by side with the 450. smile

I'm 5'8" and have no problem on either sized machine but you're not going to throw them around either. They weigh 600#'s so it's now sport quad.

Last edited by tzone; 10/05/12.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 04 Foreman has carb heat for when it gets cold and i've never had a problem starting it in sub zero temps. With that said, i'd still go for an EFI powered machine and power steering is a must on my next quad.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
EPS is very effective - and when it first came out, I figured power steering on ATVs was a wussifiication feature that no real man would want, let alone need.

and power steering is a must on my next quad.
My Foreman has power steering and I won't have another 4wd quad in that size range without it. Last week I jumped on my uncle's 2wd Rancher to run up a trail to check it out before I unloaded mine. I immediately noticed the difference, even on the 2wd, and said no way I'm going back.

but you're not going to throw them around either. They weigh 600#'s so it's now sport quad.

The difference b/t a Rancher 420 and a Foreman 500 is 55cc and I liked the features of the Foreman so I went with that.
Going from a Griz 450 to a 550 is a difference of 137cc...a considerable jump in size.
I'm not buying it for a sport quad, but I'd still like to break the back tires loose every now and then. I'm kinda worried the 450 will be a little weak. I still can't find one to ride.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Ranchers are built for trail riding, the Foreman for utility work and hunting. My wifes 09 RancherAt could squeel the tires before I put a final drive gear reduction in it, now it's geared more like my Foreman. Her 04 Rancher was a fast little sob too but it rode like a tank and was bad for her back.

I have yet to find a quad that is lightweight and not a sport quad, they just don't exist.

Steelhead

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T

but you're not going to throw them around either. They weigh 600#'s so it's now sport quad.

The difference b/t a Rancher 420 and a Foreman 500 is 55cc and I liked the features of the Foreman so I went with that.
Going from a Griz 450 to a 550 is a difference of 137cc...a considerable jump in size.
I'm not buying it for a sport quad, but I'd still like to break the back tires loose every now and then. I'm kinda worried the 450 will be a little weak. I still can't find one to ride.

It won't be weak in power when compared to the Honda. You should have no issue breaking the tires loose if you chose to do so, and I chose to do so. grin

I've been trying to ride a new one from the dealer and they sell em before they can get one out on the floor...that's sayin something.

In the mean time see if you can take a 550 for a ride. If I was going to get a 550 though, I might as well get the 700 since they're the same physcial size but cost is obviously more...

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My 04 Foreman has carb heat for when it gets cold and i've never had a problem starting it in sub zero temps. With that said, i'd still go for an EFI powered machine and power steering is a must on my next quad.

I've never had an issue with the starting on the Honda Foreman's. With the heated carb and the primer on the carb that many don't know about, it fires up nicely in our weather.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tzone, I rode a 550 with the PWS before the wife went with the Honda, she almost bought one until we found out that Honda was adding IRS to their Ranchers and offering EPS. I liked the way it handled and it had a bunch of power, didn't see the need for the 700.

If Honda don't step it up my next purchase will probably be a 550 Grizz.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
akmtnhunter
- have you tried the '12 foreman? alot of people that have older foremans say hte new 12 foreman with EFI and liquid cooling has better throttle response and is a little peppier than the previous foremans. i do like the grizz 550 though its just here a foreman is so much cheaper than a the 550 grizz...like 2000$ cheaper

klik- awesome first hand info! thanks for the report

― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have not tried a new Foreman Sako75, only the newer EFI RancherAT. I can believe the EFI has better throttle response over a carbed atv. My wifes Rancher has much better throttle response than my Foreman but it 5 years newer than my Foreman.

EFI, PWS, and IRS are must haves for my next quad.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It almost sounds like the 550 might be your cup then. The 450 has all the power we need for hunting, wood hauling etc, but it isn't a machine that has too much power. I'm sure it would seem peppier if it had a direct drive transmission. The variable torque auto clutch system is very well designed both to prevent component wear, and to stay in an ideal torque range for the engine and load. Speedwise, the 376 CC Suzuki, geared Eiger has a better top end than does the 421 CC liquid-cooled Grizzly. Getting much more than 50 mph is work when it comes to the Grizz. The smaller Suzuki engine is slightly more than equal in that department. But I have never run out of pull (from the engine/clutch system) on the 450(421) on the steepest hills even with 400 pounds of riders on board.

In short, I would not choose the 450 Grizzly if I was wanting a sporty utility machine. In my mind and for our uses, however, it is a fine working machine.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 10/06/12. Reason: identity error

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well maybe I was misleading. I'm not looking for real a sporty utility machine, just don't want a dog.

But I have never run out of pull (from the engine/clutch system) on the 450(421) on the steepest hills even with 400 pounds of riders on board.

That's what I like to hear. I really think the 450 will be good for what I want. I just need to ride both before I make a decision. I'll be by another dealer early next week anyway...maybe he'll have one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As I said, they'll do 50 without much problem (with some left), and I've pulled a 4000 lb-plus van without any trouble. (And I like the fact that you really can't over-rev the motor - which makes it pretty safe mechanically from kids or others who seem to break anything they touch.) The oil bath rear brakes are another nice feature as many ATVs end up with rear brake problems due to moisture infiltration.

But I agree you should try one. They definitely feel different than the Hondas and Suzukis we've previously run. And that takes some getting used to.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

No! regardless of what the brochure might say, ground clearance is quite a bit more on the 550-700 line of Yam bikes over the 450. One other reason would def go 550-700 is the 450s still use U-joints to drive the rear dif & not only are a real pain to keep greased but you know what happens quickly if you don't!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you go to the specs page they are the same but on the chassis/suspension page it shows the 550 to have an inch more.
And that U joint spec is in there you just have to look for it. Thanks for pointing that out. It's one thing I never liked about the big bear.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 450 grizzly has 10,000 miles and has been used both for recreation and on my farm. Its been brilliant in every way. I dragged a dead horse about 1200 lbs over a mile down a narrow trail up and over little hills and creeks. It was a mission I never thought possible. I needed diff lock about 10 times down the trail to regain traction and forward progress.

In High Range the horse would not budge, In low range I got it moving. Without low range and diff lock this wound have never moved an inch! In the past I have snapped the cast hitch piece three times on. It's a"fuse-able link" in the system to prevent breaking drive line and transmission parts that is also brilliant. 15 bucks for the break away hitch piece is a long shot cheaper then mechanical work especially in the field! You could not begin to imagine the hills it's climbed with two people and game and gear on the racks. Scary nearly flipping backward steep kinda hills!

I'm looking at a side by side now. Based on my experience with this Grizzly there is only one option, the Rhino 700. Same bullet proof transmission proven by the sale of millions of ATVs and the definite DIFF locking axle and low range that is needed.

I've always been a honda guy for this stuff, but over the years Yamaha has won me over for dependable performance. I bought this over the Honda in 2006 based on the diff lock feature. I have used that to get out of stuck, or up hills more times then I can count. Without real 100% manual locking diff, it's not gonna work as I need. No open or LS diff ATV would have moved that horse just for example.

I'm no expert on these matters, many folks here are way better able to express function and mechanics or internal performance features. I just know that low range, and diff lock are 100% mandatory in any ATV I would own.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JJHACK

In High Range the horse would not budge, In low range I got it moving. Without low range and diff lock this wound have never moved an inch!

JJ- curious what kind of tires you run? you say it wouldnt budge without diff-lock. were those stock tires? if not, what kind?
as you know tires make a huge difference. aftermarket tires in 2wd sometimes can outperform stock tires in 4wd

by the way, i agree that honda needs a diff locker if for nothing else than marketing

Last edited by SAKO75; 10/08/12.

― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm running the best tires made (IMO) bighorn radials.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i agree on the bighorns as an all around tire......what terrain were you in where you needed diff lock? bighorns as great as they are, are not anywhere near the greatest mud tire

my 2012 foreman with 26" horns
[Linked Image]

― George Orwell, 1984
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm no expert on these matters, many folks here are way better able to express function and mechanics or internal performance features. I just know that low range, and diff lock are 100% mandatory in any ATV I would own.

what you said is true for any serious atv.

I can't count the number of times I've inadvertently got stuck, locked the dif & slowly eased on the fuel & walked out. I also have a hill to climb when pulling a trailer load of apples to camp I simply cannot make with-out 1st locking her up!
Yes, I have good tires...Mud Lite XTRs in 27"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SAKO75
i agree on the bighorns as an all around tire......what terrain were you in where you needed diff lock? bighorns as great as they are, are not anywhere near the greatest mud tire

my 2012 foreman with 26" horns
[Linked Image]

Looks like good ground clearance, now try this on the rear smile

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm at 12 weeks now without rain. There is no mud, However the inclines on grass are as slippery as ice even to walk on. The ground is hard but uneven and with countless dips and rocks and awkward angles and hills.

Anyway, every one needs a certain function and covers different habitat. We usually default to our own needs and then expect everyone else to need the same. It's never the case.

However one thing I am sure we all agree on is trouble free dependability. We are rarely down the tar road from assistance. For me, just my opinion, honda and Yamaha are the only game in town in this regard. Yamaha is a touch ahead of Honda in offering some features, diff lock, Power steering, IFS, to name a few.

Anyway, this is a Can-Am thread. Thats a different situation then I have. I'm opinionated where the reliability is the highest priority, all the features in the world don't help when you're broken down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Senior, you should seriously consider getting some c/v boot gaurds for your quad. Oxlite makes some pretty niceones with good coverage.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Senior, you should seriously consider getting some c/v boot gaurds for your quad. Oxlite makes some pretty niceones with good coverage.

Ya I know frown
I've ripped 3 of the 4 original flimsy things.
But at the price of boot guards I can replace a lot of boots wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hate replacing boots, i've got one on my Foreman that keeps coming off, i've replaced the band like 4-5 times now and am beginning to think I may just replace the whole damn axle as a unit with boot attached.

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have ricochet skid plates and boot guards. I've never replaced a boot on my grizzly (yet) I think it was a good investment to keep the branches sticks and woody stiff plant stems from poking them and or ripping at them. They are clearly in a very vulnerable location on ATV's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 08 Cam-Am and put Ricochets on it from the get go,the sofe underbelly complaint. But here is the last post on a crack frame issue,I think it may address the question

"Imo, I have been reading about this issue on several forums, and most People have blown this thing up to be such a big deal, when really it's not a stress point of the main frame, it's a bracket attaching to the frame. The frames thus far are bullet proof according to the guys that push the limits of the machines.

BRP corrected the issue, with a solution and a 7 year warranty which says we stand behind out customers concerns.

Cudos to BRP and the dealers for stepping up and working with their loyal customers!"

BTW,The bracket is for the power steering.I'm thinking it might not be the only bike with this problem,I've pulled muscles in my arm as in "Where the h*** did that log come from?!"

Last edited by downwindtracker2; 10/15/12.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
BRP corrected the issue, with a solution and a 7 year warranty which says we stand behind out customers concerns.

shocked
If they had stood behind their products when the Spars started breaking instead of leaving us customers with a $2,000.00 Bomb repair, I may have even considered another one wink

Upside down pic but typical Spar break for the period Outlanders.

[Linked Image]

NO wait...no I wouldn't, still can't forget the three voltage regualtors, one battery, two front strutts, grooved primary clutch, secondary that wouldn't downshift properly, air filter for the throttle slides they neglected to put on then made us pay for, fuel lines rotting off, CVT cover rubber boots sleeves rotting...I'm sure I missed something wink

Last edited by senior; 10/16/12.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
"Imo, I have been reading about this issue on several forums, and most People have blown this thing up to be such a big deal, when really it's not a stress point of the main frame, it's a bracket attaching to the frame. The frames thus far are bullet proof according to the guys that push the limits of the machines.

Cudos to BRP and the dealers for stepping up and working with their loyal customers!"

Check out the ATV forums on the new 2013 Can-Am's. Still an issue...

A fix would be a frame redesign. Not a band-aid on a wound. Sometimes "different" isn't always better. There is probably a reason nobody else is using that design.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I've had two Outlander 800s now. I had a water pump gear fail on one, that's about it. They're hard working animals. Fast, dependable, comfortable. I'll be getting a 1000 XMR in a few years just to upgrade to keep my radiator out of the mud.

And if that's a picture of a $1000 dollar repair, that's insane. Most of the broken machines I've seen have been abused pretty badly. Anything can be broken at it's weakest point. I put skids on both of mine, have no problems. I've said over and over again that for the money, it's a shame that they don't come with skid protection. But, nothing's as fast, powerful, and handles as well so the money's worth it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by AKHuck
I've had two Outlander 800s now. I had a water pump gear fail on one, that's about it. They're hard working animals. Fast, dependable, comfortable. I'll be getting a 1000 XMR in a few years just to upgrade to keep my radiator out of the mud.

And if that's a picture of a $1000 dollar repair, that's insane. Most of the broken machines I've seen have been abused pretty badly. Anything can be broken at it's weakest point. I put skids on both of mine, have no problems. I've said over and over again that for the money, it's a shame that they don't come with skid protection. But, nothing's as fast, powerful, and handles as well so the money's worth it.

That machine had a skid plate installed at month number 2 of it's life, didn't help it. What Bomb finally proposed after a huge number of failures was that they would provide a new Spar free of charge but it had to be installed at a Bomb dealership, labour at our cost. Average quoted price for labour ran about $2,200.00!

I ended up repairing it myself.

[Linked Image]

That machine never got abused anymore than any other machine I have purchased before or after!

Last edited by senior; 10/23/12.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,603
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.