-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To the OP, the one piece of advice I have to give is: them woolfies ain't goona be where there ain't no groceries, whether said morsels is elk or beefs.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have nothing to offer as far as experience/strategy goes. But I lucked out and got a poke at a small one last night coming out of my bear stand. He had a buddy quite a bit bigger and of the grey/white persuasion, but buddy didnt offer a poke. So I poked his smaller/dumber pard.

270 WSM Tucky/140 VLD. Obviously a juvey...but looks doggish like a cross bred, mongrelly [bleep]. Whats says the experts?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by archie_james_c; 09/11/12.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by logcutter
Learn how to howl...My wife is very good at it and has done well at it..Jayco

Now i am new here so i hope this goes over ok. But this is kinda funny if you follow me...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reminds me of "Lassie" from Porky's!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
By some stock.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
[Linked Image]

good wolfie.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Any guesses on weight? I figured 60ish pounds. On another note my fug was his teeth lovely. Long, sharp and white...I was jealous.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I will be hunting elk in Idaho this year and plan to buy a woof tag ta boot. I think, however, howling will not exactly bring the elk closer to me. However, should lady luck smile on me and I fill the elk tag.....I would really love to shoot a woof.

Logcutter, any advice on calling? I oooooooo-OOOOOOO to my boys at night, but I dont really have any knowledge. Long, short, a tube of some type or just voice? Lot of calling or very minimal? Any and all advice would be most appreciated!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
How far east are the wolves making it in Montana? I see the official maps but had a pretty solid source tell me they are seeing tracks up in the Roundup area but nothing consistent, maybe a pack travels through?
I have seen one while in the CMR also a good friend retired from the State Hwy. Dept. mentioned one killed by a motorist near Miles City.

Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tipmover
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
How far east are the wolves making it in Montana? I see the official maps but had a pretty solid source tell me they are seeing tracks up in the Roundup area but nothing consistent, maybe a pack travels through?
I have seen one while in the CMR also a good friend retired from the State Hwy. Dept. mentioned one killed by a motorist near Miles City.

Saw one near Jordan Montana about seven years ago. The wolfe huggers are still planting them and so are the wildlife advocates. SSS

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
Reminds me of "Lassie" from Porky's!

LOL- I just googled that and I had forgotten how funny that was. I think you could almost put that on the electronic game caller and it just might work! blush

Sorry OP- now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Last edited by stevenautique; 09/12/12.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I live in the wrong state. I could live out my hunting career hunting wolves. It sounds like a good challenge.

Carrying out the elk meat to my Jeep is getting old. A wolf would be a lot easier.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You mean you would keep it as a trophy?

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

No, doesn't the DOW want to see them for inspection?

I just assume leave them there for the critters to eat.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I skinned mine out and Im gonna have it tanned, just because. Dunno what for...maybe throw it over my head and chase the dog around with it laugh

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Wolf skull over the bench might look pretty good. I lost both of my nice pig skulls in the move so I have a couple of empty spots.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
looks like i can go 0ct 1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Are wolves more cautious or wary to calls than coyotes. I did have a wolf come to a coyote call in the U.P. once. Rather startling when you have one bearing down on you when you expect a much smaller dog. Where I'm from they seem to be picking off everyone's dog. Bear dog, bird dog, wiener dog, whatever. I understand they are very aggressive toward interloping canines. With that said I might go into wolf country finding fresh tracks and get the pooch yapping, it might be the best wolf call around. I've heard of folks using bait dogs in the past, any thoughts or experience?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Don't think much of your dog do you? I'm thinking a wolf can kill a dog pretty fast.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Just my wife's Shih Tzu smile I'm thinking keeping the pooch close at the heel position or in a kennel and a 12 ga with some #00 buck. I'm thinking this would only bring in the brazen and problem children which would be good and would make for an interesting hunt. Granted I'm working with a different environment. They are contemplating a season here in Michigan and our wolves are somewhat adjusted to humans in the sense that they are not afraid of humans and come into town and create havoc on pets. I doubt this would work out in the big timber but would be a likely ploy for those who skirt civilization and need to go.

Last edited by Stickbow; 09/12/12.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (160user, 300jimmy, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,680 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,539
Posts18,531,106
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.